Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 4 months with BuyShared
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

After 4 months with BuyShared

dimitrispdimitrisp Member
edited September 2016 in Reviews

I got a reseller account with BuyShared on May of 2016. I am a web developer, and I was desperate to cut costs, as business is on a free fall (thanks to the Greek Government). After trying out a few companies, I ended up giving BuyShared a try, and I haven't looked back since!

Apart from a couple of outages reported by Uptime Robot in August, the server in Luxemburg is very stable and fast. I had a minor issue with MySQL that the support team resolved quickly, after providing them some details.

Support is usually responding within 10 minutes, and they are very helpful. The server I'm on has 24 CPU cores and the load is usually under 4, and the RAM usage is around 16.3% most of the time.

I don't know how viable is this for you, but thank you @Francisco for offering this service. I'm really grateful that I can provide hosting services of great quality to my clients for such a low budget.

Edit: I figured I should include some more technical details. The reseller account incudes Shell Access, a Static IP, Cloudflare and Let's Encrypt integration, Daily(?) backups through JetBackup.

Also, you can check your resource usage (CPU/RAM/IO) for the past 10/30 minutes, 1/4/24 hours etc, select PHP version (4.4 through 7.0) as well as what modules you want enabled.

This should make it a little more complete review.

Thanked by 2erkin Landofnone

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Thank you good sir :)

I enjoy doing Shared. We'll continue to do it and have no plans or interest in raising prices or cutting back on resources.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Catalin
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I also can vouch for BuyShared LV. I use a reseller account for many small sites and my previous workplace now has an internal production site hosted on it because it is so stable.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Francisco is awesome at what he does and his team. I'm on their VPS division. And i got to say, money well spent.

Thanked by 2dimitrisp Francisco
  • eastoncheastonch Member
    edited September 2016

dimitrisp said: Apart from a couple of outages reported by Uptime Robot in August, the server in Luxemburg is very stable and fast. I had a minor issue with MySQL that the support team resolved quickly, after providing them some details.

I've got the US site and uptimerobot will frequently report flakes, but I'm more conscious that this is UptimeRobot rather than the actual server.

BuyShared is absolutely fantastic, @Francisco (+ Team)does a great job, even after a small misunderstanding with the terms of service, everything has been smooth & sweet. No complaints, no dramas. Solid host. (y)

Thanked by 2dimitrisp Francisco
  • @eastonch Yeah it could be just UptimeRobot but for me there was a brief outage, maybe not as much as UR reported. But it was so minor that I didn't care, and at the time it happened none of my customers saw it. But tbh, even banks have downtime once in a while. It's more about the support and the quality of the server itself than the downtime (if there is any)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • It is definitely one of the best shared hostings I've used, and I've used over 10 different companies.

@dimitrisp Just came back from a business trip to Athens, yeah definitely the current government isn't cutting it I don't know why you voted for it, there were like streets full of brothels everywhere close to the city center and stuff like that :/

• dimitrispdimitrisp Member
    edited September 2016

@ManofServer Personally, I didn't vote for them, but I can see why they were elected in the first place. The referendum, even though it was wrong and illegal, made Tsipras and his party ultra-popular to almost all people, and that's why he got re-elected. We are full of corrupted politicians in the parliament, and I accept my part of the blame, but to be honest, 99.9% of the politicians even outside the parliament are corrupted and there's nothing we can do (that we are willing to do of course :P )

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2016

ManofServer said: there were like streets full of brothels everywhere close to the city center and stuff like that :/

There are certain roads / areas of about 0.5 square Km (three of them) with brothels in a city of a population of 5 million . When you say "city center", I suppose you went from Omonia square to the train lines to meet those areas... Why did you select to go to those places in the first place? They are not business, tourist or commercial valued.
    Don't judge a city from that. Even if I don't live there but to an island, Athens is not what you describe in the very most of it's part, but a city that has a lot to offer to their visitors...

• BuyVM would have me sold if the plans were a bit more flexible, or if you could buy resources as addons.

KVM slices are almost too tempting though.

@daily said:
    BuyVM would have me sold if the plans were a bit more flexible, or if you could buy resources as addons.

What would you like more in a slice? A bit more disk?

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@daily said:
    BuyVM would have me sold if the plans were a bit more flexible, or if you could buy resources as addons.

Francisco

Dont think he was talking about the slices. He meant to add resources on the fly on the other plans (A la carte), instead of having to upgrade the whole plan.

@Junkless said:

@Francisco said:

@daily said:

Francisco

Dont think he was talking about the slices. He meant to add resources on the fly on the other plans (A la carte), instead of having to upgrade the whole plan.

Fair.

We can't do RAM or cores but we'll offer attachable storage at some point (both SSD & SATA) and we will be giving everyone unmetered bandwidth in the coming couple months :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2Landofnone kkrajk
  • LandofnoneLandofnone Member
    edited September 2016

Francisco said: and we will be giving everyone unmetered bandwidth in the coming couple months :)

Whats the ETA of when BuyVM will be releasing information about the limitations of the unmetered connectivity.

@Landofnone said:

Francisco said: and we will be giving everyone unmetered bandwidth in the coming couple months :)

Whats the ETA of when BuyVM will be releasing information about the limitations of the unmetered connectivity.

It's overall fair share. You can more or less assume 30mbit/sec is dedicated to you but since the ports are usually quite idle you should have no problem bursting as you need.

A 16gb slice will have 500mbit/sec unmetered and a 32gb would get 1 gbit unmetered.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Landofnone
  • I've had 2 shared plans in LV for over a year and a half now. been great, no issues at all.

• It's overall fair share. You can more or less assume 30mbit/sec is dedicated to you but since the ports are usually quite idle you should have no problem bursting as you need.

A 16gb slice will have 500mbit/sec unmetered and a 32gb would get 1 gbit unmetered.

Francisco

Seem quite fair. Can't wait.

• @Francisco Give us some pop tarts and I'll fill the pony with moolah :P

Edit: I'd much prefer a jumbo box of pop tarts

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Yeah, and bring that pony slice in NJ!

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • i am also their customer since january 2014, and i pleased to say i am very satisfied with their services.

Thanked by 1Landofnone
  • Probably a dumb question, but reseller means no shell access right? Do reseller plans usually list the alloted RAM with each plan? How can u tell the resources you are using or is mysql usually offloaded, etc. Thanks

@sidewinder said:
    Probably a dumb question, but reseller means no shell access right? Do reseller plans usually list the alloted RAM with each plan? How can u tell the resources you are using or is mysql usually offloaded, etc. Thanks

You get shell access.

You can see your resource usage inside the cpanel of each user.

Francisco

Thanked by 1pbeane
  • @Francisco
    Hi Fran, on my buyshared reseller account (lv) I noticed there are JetBackup.
    Do you have documentation for this feature, about:

• how to use this feature to backup?
    • is backup data form JetBackup downloadable?

I saw this in JetBackup -> Full Backup

Incremental 26 Aug 2016 11:30 AM Remote Generate Download
    Incremental 24 Aug 2016 11:11 AM Remote Generate Download
    Incremental 22 Aug 2016 11:26 AM Remote Generate Download
    Incremental 12 Aug 2016 03:14 PM Remote Generate Download

When I click "Generate Download", nothing happened.

Should I create ticket to ask about this feature?

• if you click "Generate Download", it will grab the file, and after a while (depends on how big your account is), it will be available for download.

Thanked by 1Bayu
  • Pony steaks are indeed looking tastier and tastier

@mycosys said:
    Pony steaks are indeed looking tastier and tastier

Neigh.

Francisco

Thanked by 3mycosys ATHK FredQc
  • @Francisco Does port 25 open by default?
    I'm asking because contact form 7 plugin of wordpress use mail() to send notification.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited September 2016

hiphiphip0 said: Does port 25 open by default? I'm asking because contact form 7 plugin of wordpress use mail() to send notification.

It is not open by default, contact them via ticket to get it opened.

I do suggest you find a alternative method though to be more secure

• We should have a "BuyVM / BuyShared Cesspit" thread.

• @Francisco said:
    Thank you good sir :)

I enjoy doing Shared. We'll continue to do it and have no plans or interest in raising prices or cutting back on resources.

Francisco

This dude, right here, has been nothing short of awesome & incredibly helpful over the last 2.5 years that I have been with Frantech. So, I have nothing but good things to say about the way they operate.

When I first signed up, Francisco went out of the way to mount a temp fs using sshfs to create a WHM backup and restore it on his node, when my old douchebag of a web host wouldn't even allow me to back my own data up, without upgrading from an already overpriced & oversold plan with rather underwhelming support, in order to make a few extra bucks after I had decided to move out and take my business to someone more competent.

I have yet to come across anyone with such degree of professionalism, rectitude and goodness (for lack of a better word), who would help 'migrate' cpanel accounts involving that degree of complexity, for someone 'new' who didn't bring the kind of $$ in order to justify the extra effort required to set things up. (Not that I have actively looked for someone to do that, since I moved to Frantech / BuyVM)

I am now considering consolidating and moving a bunch of VMs running production services over to BuyVM, once my annual contracts start to expire with other hosting companies, this November.

So, keep up the good work and stay awesome!

Thanked by 3Francisco Tom dimitrisp

Why thank you :)

Glad I could be of help.

Francisco