Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Gaming VPS - LA / ATL / DAL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Gaming VPS - LA / ATL / DAL

Looking for a VPS with the follow or better specs

2x Cores 3Ghz +
2gb Ram
20GB SSD Space
2TB transfer
Server 2008R2 (Trial is fine, can supply own key)
Location (either): Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas

<$10 per month, willing to be flexable with the right specs

Comments

• Server2008r2 is not a requirement, can use Server 2012 if licence is included

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

How about a slice?

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    How about a slice?

Francisco

Well the $7 per month one wont work. 1/2 core isnt going to cut it for a game server..

• Contabo will be best bet (they have some older i7's running but also much slower E5s)

• @Spazzly said:

@Francisco said:
    How about a slice?

Francisco

Well the $7 per month one wont work. 1/2 core isnt going to cut it for a game server..

Remember it's half of an actual core not 2vcpus you might be surprised. Outside of contabo and budget providers you might want to also consider increasing budget for Windows or consider running Wine on Linux. What game servers are you looking into running?

• bersybersy Member
    edited September 2016

DrFallen said: Remember it's half of an actual core

Is it actually a core or just a hyper thread?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2016

@bersy said:

It's a thread.

I haven't been overly happy with how I explain the cpu usage on the page since the cpu limits only really matter if the nodes de is maxed out. We use weights for this all.

I'll likely add a modal on the page to explain that all once I word it properly.

With that being said I don't think we have a single node over a load of 3 or so.

Francisco

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @Francisco said:

@bersy said:

It's a thread.

I haven't been overly happy with how I explain the cpu usage on the page since the cpu limits only really matter if the nodes de is maxed out. We use weights for this all.

I'll likely add a modal on the page to explain that all once I word it properly.

With that being said I don't think we have a single node over a load of 3 or so.

Francisco

That's not too bad, I don't think there's ever an easy way to single out vcores to cpu in terms of explaining there have been plenty of times I've used a server with "6" vcores and it was worse then another with 2 so idk. I'm sure I can look at grilling you when you add EU not really fair to judge them if they have 140ms :D

Also I forgot to mention @bersy that I currently have on of contabos 4 core ssds the hardware is ok but the network is pretty bad takes forever to transfer anything to it. Just my 2cents.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Is this for Minecraft or another game? The issue with game servers running on vps is you're fighting for a limited amount of shared could cycles. You may find performance to not be ideal.

• Primarily running 1/2 Battlefield Bad Company 2 servers. Currently run on a safehousecloud vps for $4/m with 3.2Ghz x2, 1gb ram, Server 2012.

@Spazzly said:
    Primarily running 1/2 Battlefield Bad Company 2 servers. Currently run on a safehousecloud vps for $4/m with 3.2Ghz x2, 1gb ram, Server 2012.

What's wrong with the current service?

• Current service is in Frankfurt, (though pricing is the same for US) - Their support ticket times arent filling me with confidence so am looking at other options rather than having two tied with the same provider. Note that i am looking at additional services, not replacing current

@Spazzly said:
    Current service is in Frankfurt, (though pricing is the same for US) - Their support ticket times arent filling me with confidence so am looking at other options rather than having two tied with the same provider. Note that i am looking at additional services, not replacing current

Got it.

Consider checking this list: https://lowendbox.com/tag/windows/

• @Spazzly said:
    Primarily running 1/2 Battlefield Bad Company 2 servers. Currently run on a safehousecloud vps for $4/m with 3.2Ghz x2, 1gb ram, Server 2012.

Those don't really need much in terms of cpu power (compared to newer games anyway).

However I don't condone using stolen server files to create illegitimate game servers. Even though EA doesn't care anymore.

• @Rodney said:

@Spazzly said:

Those don't really need much in terms of cpu power (compared to newer games anyway).

However I don't condone using stolen server files to create illegitimate game servers. Even though EA doesn't care anymore.

When full they can use a full 3.4ghz core, when not full they use barely nothing.

If EA cared they would have released a client side patch years ago..

Thing is it's tough to sell a full e5 core for $5 or $10 bucks a month.