Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

# of sites you can run?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

# of sites you can run?

naifnaif Member
edited December 2011 in Help

I am wondering how many low traffic sites I can run on a 256 MB and a 512 MB VPS? Could it be possible to run around 7 sites on a 512 MB VPS?

Comments

• AdamAdam Member
    edited December 2011

depends what you consider low traffic?
    Are they sql based or static sites?

But yes that is easily done. Just follow what most of the regular members here suggest:

• Disable Innodb
    • Use Nginx
    • Use an opcode cache (like apc)
    • Etc...
  • If your running static sites, its actually more going to depend on bandwidth then RAM.

But you should get away with running 25 dynamic sites on 512MB, I don't see a reason why it couldn't.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • edited December 2011

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/yes-you-can-run-18-static-sites-on-a-64mb-link-1-vps/

Should be able to run ~10x that on ~10 RAM. Maybe even run 5x dynamic on that.

Also look at resource usage here
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress-cheap-vps-lowendscript/

• As muxch as it pains me to suggest this, you can get away with running wordpress multiuser and a decent caching plug and get away with a fair amount more.

It depends also on how much your provider is overselling.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

As has already been stated, it depends if it's static or dynamic. With a good configuration you can run definately run 7 static sites on 512MB RAM. I run about 5 static sites and 2 dynamic 'uns on 256MB.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited December 2011

I run 1 static and 3 dynamic sites on a 128mb KVM VPS, but the number of sites is not what determines resource usage, it's the traffic and content.

Thanked by 3Infinity qenox camarg
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

512? 7? ha, I have like 15 on a 512 and it can have more.

• @netomx said: 512? 7? ha, I have like 15 on a 512 and it can have more.

FTW

• @netomx said: I have like 15 on a 512 and it can have more.

Before consolidating many of my shared servers to save on cPanel fees, I had over 300 sites on an Atom 330 with 2gb of ram. So how many sites can this host is one of my most hated questions.

Thanked by 1jamson
  • How many text only sites can I host on a PDP-11?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: Before consolidating many of my shared servers to save on cPanel fees, I had over 300 sites on an Atom 330 with 2gb of ram. So how many sites can this host is one of my most hated questions.

WIN

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • I'm getting around 600k unique visitors a month to one of my projects and the last time I checked the memory consumed it wasn't more than 500mb ( of 16GB, lol :< )

• @miTgiB said: So how many sites can this host is one of my most hated questions

Mine too:

Really, if you don't have any range, if you've never put your own sites on a dedi/VPS before, you should NOT be hosting sites on one.

If they are his own sites, well, great! Go experiment and see, because we have no clue how many of your sites your configuration will fit.

• look for a generous provider willing to give you a trial server

• @yowmamasita said: look for a generous provider willing to give you a trial server

heh Good luck on that. I'm a nice guy and will probably do a whole lot for a box of brownies but I don't even do that.

• @drmike said: heh Good luck on that.

You can do that with OVH.

• @drmike said: do a whole lot for a box of brownies

But what about cookies?

• @miTgiB said: But what about cookies?

The cookies I see usually have nuts and while I can eat nuts, um they have a hard problem going through the system.

• @drmike said: heh Good luck on that

sorry forgot to add true story meme

• Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to update this thread. I purchased a 512 MB lowendbox and have Kloxo installed on CentOS 5.5. I am running 4 sites ATM, two of which are powered using WordPress and do use a bunch of plugins, another site using a directory script and one static website. While idle, the system is using around 90 MB of memory. When I tried putting some load on it, the max. I could take it to was 150 MB (approx) of memory.

Conclusion: Does look like I can run 7 or even more sites on a 512 MB box.

• @Daniel said: But you should get away with running 25 dynamic sites on 512MB

true. i have a client use 512MB for 14 website, 3 of them is autoblog and still have a decent free memory and low cpu usage.

• I have server with 512 MB for 30 website, few of the has 1000-2000 uv/day

• warihwarih Member
    edited February 2015

I used 256 KVM for 4 autoblog with total less than 1000 uv and so far its enough.
    Its just nginx - PHP5 - MYISAM MariaDB with webmin control panel.
    But always stop webmin when i dont need to use and start when needed

• said: I am wondering how many low traffic sites I can run on a 256 MB and a 512 MB VPS? Could it be possible to run around 7 sites on a 512 MB VPS?

Yes

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Thanked by 2Traffic Pwner
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

• I at first didn't realise that it was a... necro bump and I freaked out when I saw a post from @drmike ! Was this the end of the world? DrMike is back on LET? Then, I saw that this is a... 2011 thread and all gone back to normal!

Thanked by 1mikho
  • But still, the same question lingers around and will continue to do so...

• Well, Tim is still around that time.

• Wow. My hair stands up reading some of what I've read here.

For a start: The question is completely nonsensical, akin to asking "Can I transport 7 boxes in a minivan?".

Are them sites static or dynamic? What, if any DB, is in the backend? Does dynamic mean php or some compiled cgi or what? What's the req/s? What's the average/high noon ratio? Etc. etc.

Short answer to what you probably mean: Sure. If you know what you're doing and if your sites have modest hit rates you could run 7 sites even in 128 MB. Easily.

And btw: No, "my server eats XX MB for 5 sites but I have two times XX RAM, so I can run two times 5 sites", is plain wrong. Why? Because the server needs and preallocates memory even with just 1 site. So, in that scenario you could probably run not 2 times but 3 or 4 times the number of (assumed similar) sites.

My personal take (pardon me for sounding rude): Your problem isn't RAM, your problem is a reasonably adequate level of knowledge.

Thanked by 1Traffic