Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrade kernel from 32 to 64bit?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Upgrade kernel from 32 to 64bit?

Hello guys.

I have an old server using cpanel that I use for emails since years. There are tons of data that I dont want to get lost.

Is there a easy way and secure to upgrade from 32bit kernel to 64bit?

Thanks.

P.s yes the processor supports 64bit systems.

Comments

• Yes, you install a new server and use the Transfer Tool.

• @Rallias said:
    Yes, you install a new server and use the Transfer Tool.

Thank very helpful but as the thread said Upgrade not Migrate.

• WHT said: Thank very helpful but as the thread said Upgrade not Migrate.

I mean, sure, you can break everything. Other people have tried, but, like was said in that thread, "Why risk it - and have to deal with a Frankenstein flaky system afterwards."

• Don't. Just take a backup and reinstall 64 bit kernel from the scratch.

I've tried and failed miserably.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • RazzaRazza Member
    edited September 2016

WHT said: I have an old server using cpanel that I use for emails since years. There are tons of data that I dont want to get lost.

If it been running 32bit kernel for years, why not just leave it running on 32bit kernel or is there a specific reason why you what 64bit kernel on it.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

@Razza said:

WHT said: I have an old server using cpanel that I use for emails since years. There are tons of data that I dont want to get lost.

If it been running 32bit kernel for years, why not just leave it running on 32bit kernel or is there a specific reason why you what 64bit kernel on it.

Yes if I remember correctly cPanel is dropping support for 32 bit systems.

Thanked by 1Razza
  • kt said: Yes if I remember correctly cPanel is dropping support for 32 bit systems.

Yes, your correct copyed off cpanel documentation

As of cPanel & WHM version 58, you cannot install or update cPanel & WHM on CentOS 5, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, CloudLinux 5. You also cannot install or update cPanel & WHM on 32-bit operating systems.