Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: PayPal policy changes - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: PayPal policy changes

13»

Comments

• https://www.paypal.com/id/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full?locale.x=id_ID

Amendments to the PayPal User Agreement, with respect to User Accounts in Asia Pacific, certain European and Latin American countries, Middle East and Africa.
    Effective Date: October 19, 2016

no more reason for hosting provider to not accept us using their service, just because high risk country..

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Nekki said:
    Do you really think Bitcoin is being widely used enough for Paypal to be worried right now? Also, isn't there nearly always a fee paid somewhere along the line when you use Bitcoin?

PayPal is big company but I think bitcoin affect PayPal's revenue.

I just read full Policy and its a really scary.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

jiggawattz said: I never said Dutch bank cards work everywhere MasterCard is accepted - I said all Dutch banks will issue you a credit card if you ask..

Yes, you did. See the following:

Every bank in NL issues a Maestro and that's accepted everywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Dutch bank cards are Maestro cards, by default. They are not accepted "everywhere MasterCard is accepted".

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

joepie91 said: They are not accepted "everywhere MasterCard is accepted".

This is true, we have a similar situation here where those cards are mostly ATM chip cards, not real ones, but it depends on bank.

• @jiggawattz said:

joepie91 said: You apparently don't, judging from your (blatantly false) claims that "Dutch bank cards work everywhere MasterCard is accepted".

I never said Dutch bank cards work everywhere MasterCard is accepted - I said all Dutch banks will issue you a credit card if you ask..

:P

No, you said ALL Maestro cards will work as MasterCards, this is simply UTTERLY untrue. Much like Holland in Australia EVERY bank card issued is connected to Maestro, which in Australia is simply branded 'EFTPOS'. Every MasterCard is a Maestro/Cirrus card, but the reverse is not true, the VAST majority of Meastro/Cirrus cards are not part of the MasterCard network.

• @joepie91 said:

jh said: but the main (only?) reason service providers offer Paypal is because it saves the customer a few seconds at checkout.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. As somebody who lives in the Netherlands - where creditcards are far from common - my online payment options basically consist of Bitcoin, PayPal, and iDeal. That's it. The latter is NL-specific, and only supported by a few payment processors that all have their own share of problems.

You do have other options https://www.3vcard.nl/

• why place such a rule that is so subjective in interpretation

Thanked by 1netomx
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mycosys said:

@joepie91 said:

jh said: but the main (only?) reason service providers offer Paypal is because it saves the customer a few seconds at checkout.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. As somebody who lives in the Netherlands - where creditcards are far from common - my online payment options basically consist of Bitcoin, PayPal, and iDeal. That's it. The latter is NL-specific, and only supported by a few payment processors that all have their own share of problems.

You do have other options https://www.3vcard.nl/

There are various prepaid cards like this. The problem is that most of them are expensive to obtain and use (given that everybody already has a bank card anyway), often take a long time to be delivered, have questionable-at-best customer service when something goes wrong, take a long time to process top-ups, and so on.

• jhjh Member
    edited September 2016

Isn't the whole point of SEPA to increase competition between banks in different parts of the European Union? I believe part of this is being able to get an account with any European bank. This would be a good reason to use a foreign bank.

Its funny to think that despite British banks being generally annoying to deal with, American, French and Dutch banks are worse.

E.g. To withdraw 50 euros from my account in France, I was asked for 6 wage slips, a letter from my accountant and my psssport and bank book, the documents all translated and certified... Because I hadnt touched the account in a few years.

And American banks apparently still take days to transfer money, still use magnetic stripes and actively reorder transactions to increase fee revenue.

• DewlanceVPS said: PayPal is big company but I think bitcoin affect PayPal's revenue.

Not enough to care.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said:

At all of your points of sale (in whatever form):

a) you shall not dissuade or inhibit your customers from using PayPal; and

b) if you enable your customers to pay you with PayPal, you shall treat PayPal’s payment mark at least at par with other payment methods offered.

Given WHMCS' approach of representing payment options on invoices as a dropdown, it's possible that having a provider other than PayPal as the default option could run afoul of this policy...

CMIIW; I don't think a payment mark can be considered as equal to a dropdown menu. All this means is if you're displaying payment marks from Paypal and another payment provider like 2CO; then both marks should be of similar size and as a merchant you shouldn't recommend anything (other than Paypal) in particular.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said:

MikeA said: I was referring to Skrill not Stripe

In that case you're in for a treat. Stripe is great :)

Not that great they closed my account and just comment " your business rate high risk" i have 0 chargeback !

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

@key900 said:

@jarland said:

Not that great they closed my account and just comment " your business rate high risk" i have 0 chargeback !

DDoS Mitigation VPS is highly risky for them.

Your business is really highly risky, You can get attack at any time. Like 1AM in night. Its so risky.

• @key900 said:

@jarland said:

Ditto - and no response from their staff or further explanation...

• @jarland said:

Keyword: chargeback

(sorry, ik this is a bit late)