Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it ok to use a service like SendGrid for outgoing email?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it ok to use a service like SendGrid for outgoing email?

Hey guys,

I had the idea of hosting my own incoming mail as well as mail client, but using a 3rd party service like Sendgrid to handle outgoing so I don't have to deal with spam, blacklists, etc. Is this something that is commonly done, or is it something that I shouldn't do?

Thanks

Comments

• Use mxroute.com, they are better and you can send unlimited mail.

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

I don't see any reason why you couldn't, I setup a personal mail server a while ago as a test and used sendgrid for outbound to avoid the issues you mention, worked fine and don't believe it's against anything in their TOS/don't see why it would be.

• I use Mailgun for outgoing of server emails, backup scripts all use cURL calls to their API that then get forwarded to me.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • tr1cky said: Use mxroute.com, they are better and you can send unlimited mail.

MXRoute is nice but I only send about 100 emails a month so free services are better for me.

ATHK said: I use Mailgun for outgoing of server emails, backup scripts all use cURL calls to their API that then get forwarded to me.

That's cool, how did you set it up? What webmail client do you use (afaik Roundcube supports different outgoing and incoming smtp servers)?

• Sendgrid was ok a few month ago, but it's a pure joke nowadays, it's becoming the norm for email sent to Hotmail taking up 20 min to get delivered

If you what free option Mailgun works fine, i don't use Sendgird for my own domain i only use it for a few domains which i host for friends.

I use Amazon Ses for my own domain's not free but still very cheap and work's a hell lot better than Sendgird

• Razza said: Sendgrid was ok a few month ago, but it's a pure joke nowadays, it's becoming the norm for email sent to Hotmail taking up 20 min to get delivered

SendGrid was an example, nowadays I use SparkPost/MailJet which have't had any deliverability problems for me.

Razza said: If you what free option Mailgun works fine, i don't use Sendgird for my own domain i only use it for a few domains which i host for friends.

For me Mailgun goes in spam every. single. time.

Amazon SES is really good, but I prefer free :)

• @Razza said:
    Sendgrid was ok a few month ago, but it's a pure joke nowadays, it's becoming the norm for email sent to Hotmail taking up 20 min to get delivered

If you what free option Mailgun works fine, i don't use Sendgird for my own domain i only use it for a few domains which i host for friends.

I use Amazon Ses for my own domain's not free but still very cheap and work's a hell lot better than Sendgird

Setup Amazon SES with an EC2 free tier, have an API that just calls to send email when needed, you can send up to 62,000 messages free of charge if you send them from the EC2.

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Is it ok? Sure. It just depends whether or not you want to pay for an external service or use your own servers. I use my own servers to send outgoing mail and never had any problems (with proper setup of course).

EC2 would be a good start though imo if you don't have a huge mail base.

• GCat said: Setup Amazon SES with an EC2 free tier, have an API that just calls to send email when needed, you can send up to 62,000 messages free of charge if you send them from the EC2.

I used to do that, but since my Amazon web services account is over 12 months old i don't get the t2.mirco ec2 for free anymore

Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2016

@karatekidmonkey said:

ATHK said: I use Mailgun for outgoing of server emails, backup scripts all use cURL calls to their API that then get forwarded to me.

That's cool, how did you set it up? What webmail client do you use (afaik Roundcube supports different outgoing and incoming smtp servers)?

The backup script is just a bash script running auto with cron.

curl -s --user 'api:key-1234' \
        https://api.mailgun.net/v3/example.com/messages \
        -F from='[email protected]' \
        -F [email protected] \
        -F subject=" Backup Log $now"\
        -F text="$LOG"