Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long would it take to upgrade a network for an ISP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long would it take to upgrade a network for an ISP?

Just asking out of curiosity, if anyone has ever worked in this area for a large ISP.

If a broadband network in a certain area is unable to cope with the number of people using it, and it needs upgrading, how long should this realistically take? Assuming it includes getting access from councils to dig up the streets, lay down cable, install hardware, etc.?

Weeks, months, years?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2016

Randomly related, it took me 2 months to the Council to agree to move a lamp post outside my house. Imagine how long it takes to get approval to dig up a street.

• In my experience as an user, if some of those clients spend a lot of money with the ISP, maybe a couple of months, if not, never hahahaha.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@nekki what? Was it clashing with the red glow from your windows?

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@hostnoob the process can take 8 months. Depends on the scope of work, simple slam upgrades are quick and cable lays are not always required as many cabs are fiber backhaul and just need faster hardware.

Who is the isp?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

It depends firstly if the ISP is willing to accept there's a problem with capacity, or if they care for the customer base enough or if there's enough £££s in it for them. Then after that it can take a month or two for the council permits, if it's across many councils it can take longer.

Even a short cable run by most British contracting companies can take a week or more for the actual digging and laying. In the UK we have a lot of red tape with the councils and then companies like Openreach have a lot of internal policies and red tape too, so I'd say realistically 3-4 months if everything goes smoothly.

I've never worked for a large ISP but I've heard from people who work with Openreach etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

pbgben said: @nekki what? Was it clashing with the red glow from your windows?

I needed to move it so I could have a crossover from the road to my driveway. Naughty people who sold us the house neglected to tell us the council had refused permission for a crossover before we bought the house.

• OK so we got fibre in March, getting 1-2mbps in the evenings due to overselling. Was told a fix date of today (August 31st) and now been told the new fix date is 21st December.

• It's next to impossible to put a general time-frame on something like this, it completely depends on where the bottleneck is. If you have fiber, unlikely to be a physical capacity issue, but again there's no way to know this without a complete picture of the network.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

hostnoob said: OK so we got fibre in March, getting 1-2mbps in the evenings due to overselling. Was told a fix date of today (August 31st) and now been told the new fix date is 21st December.

Well, when VM upgraded all the cabinets here last year to increase capacity, it took over a month. I knew it took them this long because my connection started to cut out every 20-30 mins, and when I finally got through to the UK support staff, they eventually admitted it was due to a cabinet upgrade and that it would take several weeks.

• if the line is prepared normaly a simple call. BUT ... i had bad things in the past and was tard up to 5 month

• @Nekki said:

hostnoob said: OK so we got fibre in March, getting 1-2mbps in the evenings due to overselling. Was told a fix date of today (August 31st) and now been told the new fix date is 21st December.

Well, when VM upgraded all the cabinets here last year to increase capacity, it took over a month. I knew it took them this long because my connection started to cut out every 20-30 mins, and when I finally got through to the UK support staff, they eventually admitted it was due to a cabinet upgrade and that it would take several weeks.

So we're getting fobbed off and they're not interested in fixing it then I guess. Was that to fix utilisation issues or just for their speed upgrades? The worst bit about this whole thing is when you log into "my account" there's a huge image saying "WE JUST UPGRADED YOUR BROADBAND SPEEDS!". thanks VM for rubbing salt in the wounds and then pissing all over us.

Anyway I just emailed the CEO because the rest of the company (including complains department) are useless.

• @hostnoob said:
    Just asking out of curiosity, if anyone has ever worked in this area for a large ISP.

If a broadband network in a certain area is unable to cope with the number of people using it, and it needs upgrading, how long should this realistically take? Assuming it includes getting access from councils to dig up the streets, lay down cable, install hardware, etc.?

Weeks, months, years?

Very strange questions. Have you even tried to somehow solve the problem by yourself? Have you called tech. support and ask them to send someone to your home to fix a problem with ISP? Have you made screenshots related to issue? Are there any around you made the same or experience the same issue? Or are you talking about tarif upgrade? (i mean more bw, more speed for the same money?) If yes, and you want more speed (new tarif plan) you should invite new provider to your area to make competition. If your goal in fixing current speeds on current tarif plan, try to follow next steps:

1. call to support / visit provider and explain your problem
    2. if support will try to make from you fool, just say them that you are waiting for master from their company to review & fix the problem and drop phone.
    3. If master comes and problem not fixed, call again and do the same as above
    4. If again problem not fixed, go to ISP office go to director of company and tell that you are several times were called & asked for support, but your problem still not fixed, and be sure your problem will be solved.

Because of technical support at phone provider usually don't know about many problems of customers, no, seriously, it's true. They know about some possible issues with network, and if they know about the issue they usually fixing it after most important tasks. Provider very interested to keep your happy with them, either you will stop contract with them and will find another provider and will pay money not to current ISP.

• @hostnoob said:
    OK so we got fibre in March, getting 1-2mbps in the evenings due to overselling. Was told a fix date of today (August 31st) and now been told the new fix date is 21st December.

who has told it to you? Technical Support? Why 21st December? Why not 03 march? Man, just go to office with screenshots & info about your previous calls to support, and try to talk with director (boss) of your provider area, it usually works much better then just waiting something from nowhere and nobody, just don't stop everytime to remind them about your problem (better if everyday) and they will fix the issue.

If you have good speed at not peak hours, that means everything is ok at technical side with cables / hardware, so the problem in missing extra capacity & extra hardware. As i understand you have optical fibre, so, it's very easy for provider to fix your problem by replacing SFP or Fiber Media convertor.

• VirginMedia?

Keep dreaming my friend

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2016

desperand said: If you have good speed at not peak hours, that means everything is ok at technical side with cables / hardware, so the problem in missing extra capacity & extra hardware. As i understand you have optical fibre, so, it's very easy for provider to fix your problem by replacing SFP or Fiber Media convertor.

Replacing an SFP or media converter isn't going to help unless it's bad, so you can't really say that's "the" easy fix.

In the case of FTTH, you have either active Ethernet or xPON.

With active, you have a point-to-point link. You only replace the SFP/MC in the context of an "upgrade" if you're going from say 1G to 10G, but that's not the case if the OP is getting 1-2M speeds. Active bottlenecks are upstream of the customer premise.

In the case of PON, if you're going from something like EPON to GPON you could consider the ONT to be a media converter, but that upgrade typically involves entire splits -- which could be in the "months" time-frame. At the same time if this is xPON, pretty unlikely they have anything other than GPON deployed currently.

Now if "fiber" here means FTTC with xDSL for the last mile, that's whole different ball of wax.

This discussion has been closed.