Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sucuri or cloudflare?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sucuri or cloudflare?

hello guys.
i need your suggestion about which service i need to choose between cloudflare Pro or Sucuri firewall pro, both services are in same price range. so far i see sucuri have more features than cloudflare. when i searching about sucuri reviews, mostly the reviewer using it for their Wordpress site, since my site is custom made php script will it perform same?

what do you guys recommending between this services and what is your experience with them? i mostly looking for reviews of their protection feature, there rest is bonus.

thankyou!

Comments

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

I think cloudflare has capacity for handling if you pay them 200 usd/mo :p Also you need to be able live with their random error pages.

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited August 2016

if your planning to use the $20 plan's sucuri will be better, if i remember correctly CloudFlare level 7 protection is non-existing unless you use the $200 Business plan

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

@Razza said:
    if your planning to use the $20 plan's sucuri will be better, if i remember correctly CloudFlare level 7 protection is non-existing unless you use the $200 Business plan

Well CloudFlare advertises that their free plan contains DDoS protection, but I won't comment the actual functionality.

• @HostBastic said:

@Razza said:

Well CloudFlare advertises that their free plan contains DDoS protection, but I won't comment the actual functionality.

10mbit probably

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited August 2016

HostBastic said: Well CloudFlare advertises that their free plan contains DDoS protection, but I won't comment the actual functionality.

I take you mean Basic DDoS protection that will be talking about layer 3/4 ddos they have to tank it as they can't identify the target of the ddos, but for layer 7 they can after so much they will just pass the traffic directly to your server

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Get more protection with Sucuri for $20/m than you get with CloudFlare for less than $200/m. Worth it.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

How do these two compare to say incapsula?

• kzedkzed Member

thanks all for the responses, will considering using sucuri, clearly paying $200/m to cloudflare is not an option for me.

• @kzed said:
    thanks all for the responses, will considering using sucuri, clearly paying $200/m to cloudflare is not an option for me.

which plan?

• Is it for dos protection of optimization? For dos protection, you can also try x4b.net

• We can let CloudFlare answer that by themselves. This is what they told me in 2014:

Somebody also mentioned "random error pages" which is wrong. There is no such thing, but you can definitively modify the various error pages and their custom pages (e.g "I'm under attack!").

Pretty much everything can be customised :D

@Razza said:

>

• hzrhzr Member
    edited September 2016

jarland said: Get more protection with Sucuri for $20/m than you get with CloudFlare for less than $200/m. Worth it.

Do you know if sucuri supports customisation of captcha pages, under attack interstitial pages, and errors like 503s on the paid plans, or in general how usable/friendly the control panel is?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

How do you think Sucuri Business compares to the $200/month CloudFlare Business package?

$50/month vs $200/month... hmmm?

hzr said: Do you know if sucuri supports customisation of captcha pages, under attack interstitial pages, and errors like 503s on the paid plans, or in general how usable/friendly the control panel is?

I think a gateway error is the only time they display their own page, haven't seen a captcha or anything like that. Gateway error doesn't appear to be customizable. Control panel is very user friendly and attractive. Supports a failover too. Example page:

http://drop.jarland.me/1leIE

• @jarland have you actually experienced L7 attacks since you moved to sucuri?
    Any pictures/statistics you could show?

edited September 2016

@tr1cky said:
    @jarland have you actually experienced L7 attacks since you moved to sucuri?
    Any pictures/statistics you could show?

Hard to say for sure. Someone was attacking the hostname and following IP changes at the time. I moved it behind Sucuri and that was the last I heard of it. I haven't received or found any clear statement of receiving attacks. It is entirely possible that I have not.