Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ghost or WordPress on a 128MB OVZ VM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ghost or WordPress on a 128MB OVZ VM?

UnixfyUnixfy Member

So, I made the stupid decision of putting my blog on a 128MB NATted VPS and my homepage (which is literally a 1KB HTML file) on a 1GB VPS :P

Now I want to know: Should I use Ghost or WordPress? I am basing this comparison solely off of performance (which one is more lightweight?), not features and etc (as long as I can post stuff, I'm happy :)

Poll not found

Comments

• No option for "you could easily do both and still have some overhead".

• I posted a similar thread a few days ago. I like Ghost, but initial setup was 80 MB. WordPress takes up about 40 MB (no plugins and default theme).

I know my reply doesn't offer a lot of help, but Ghost is new(-ish) and WordPress has a pretty huge following. Security isn't as bad with WordPress as people make it out to be as long as you're smart about what you install with it.

WordPress will run on a 128 MB system if you keep it lean and page views are reasonable.

Ghost I have no idea about so I'm interested in seeing what others say as well.

Thanked by 1thatix
    • thatixthatix Member
      edited August 2016

tried install ghost on a 128MB w/128 MB swap KVM box but it always get killed when running npm --production

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
    • @karatekidmonkey said:
      So, I made the stupid decision of putting my blog on a 128MB NATted VPS and my homepage (which is literally a 1KB HTML file) on a 1GB VPS :P

Now I want to know: Should I use Ghost or WordPress? I am basing this comparison solely off of performance (which one is more lightweight?), not features and etc (as long as I can post stuff, I'm happy :)

If you nginx and php fpm and latest php7.0 you can get away with it

Also install some sort of caching if not static files

Note:
      Performance of leb boxes depends upon the configuration and the technical abilities of sysadmin

• I don't understand why you can't install the blog on the 1GB VPS

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

It really depends on how well you are going to optimize the chosen platform.

• @thatix said:
      tried install ghost on a 128MB w/128 MB swap KVM box but it always get killed when running npm --production

Me too, I tried install ghost on LES Japan VPS (128MB RAM). Seem need more memory for npm command.

Thanked by 1thatix
    • @manlivo said:
      Me too, I tried install ghost on LES Japan VPS (128MB RAM). Seem need more memory for npm command.

I guess 256MB would be the minimum requirement.

Thanked by 1manlivo
    • Use Jekyll or Pelican instead if you're going to be offering static content.

Far more light weight.

• thatix said: tried install ghost on a 128MB w/128 MB swap KVM box but it always get killed when running npm --production

manlivo said: Me too, I tried install ghost on LES Japan VPS (128MB RAM). Seem need more memory for npm command.

That issue doesn't occur for me. If you're on KVM, just add a temporary 1GB swapfile and it'll go just fine.

An alternative to this is npm installing on a VPS with more than 512MB RAM, zipping it up, and transferring the files over to the LES box.

hostnoob said: I don't understand why you can't install the blog on the 1GB VPS

Please read the OP

I guess 256MB would be the minimum requirement.

It's 512MB

jeromeza said: Use Jekyll or Pelican instead if you're going to be offering static content.

Far more light weight.

I've considered Jekyll and Pelican, but I like the admin interface + Ghost and WP have better support imo.

• LandofnoneLandofnone Member
      edited August 2016

Wasn't Lowendbox running on a vps with wordpress also with limit of 68mb of ram? I swear to the tree gods, that i read a blog post somewhere about that. And or, i could be mistaken.

• LeeLee Veteran

Ghost will struggle on install even with 512mb, you would need some swap to be safe.

• LandofnoneLandofnone Member
      edited August 2016

Developers of Ghost, might need to get to work on optimization. I mean hell, windows XP, the only decent windows OS that Microsoft ever created (in my opinion) can run on 64mb of ram.

Oh how i miss the days of windows XP. and windows 98 :(

Thanked by 1NanoG6
    • @Landofnone

That's the sticking point for me. I like Ghost but compared to other products it does very little yet uses quite a bit more RAM.

• @karatekidmonkey said:

hostnoob said: I don't understand why you can't install the blog on the 1GB VPS

Please read the OP

I did. And like I said I don't understand.

You know you can put more than one thing on a VPS right?

• LeeLee Veteran
      edited August 2016

JustAMacUser said: That's the sticking point for me. I like Ghost but compared to other products it does very little yet uses quite a bit more RAM.

Remember though that the memory usage here is related to Node.js and all associated modules rather than Ghost itself which is just built on it.

If you want something that uses little memory then stick with a static website or something using PHP/MySQL. It's just not the same to compare WordPress with Ghost as an example.

I am sure that there are improvements that can and will be made in time.

It is a memory and in fact CPU hog on initial install, I have tested it several times on 512MB of ram, mostly it worked OK, sometimes it died out of memory. Best to at least have 512MB ram and another 256MB swap to be sure.

This is one I have running under a very light load on a DO 512MB. All that is installed is Node, Ghost and PM2.

[root@ghostpanel ~]# free -m
                    total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
      Mem:            489         141          83           4         264         324
      Swap:             0           0           0
      [root@ghostpanel ~]#

• Lee said: Ghost will struggle on install even with 512mb, you would need some swap to be safe.

I'm using Open VZ :(

hostnoob said: You know you can put more than one thing on a VPS right?

Yes, I know that...

Lee said: It is a memory and in fact CPU hog on initial install, I have tested it several times on 512MB of ram, mostly it worked OK, sometimes it died out of memory. Best to at least have 512MB ram and another 256MB swap to be sure.

Never saw Node go beyond 70MB RAM and 5% CPU for me. Hm.

• @Lee said:
      Remember though that the memory usage here is related to Node.js and all associated modules rather than Ghost itself which is just built on it.

If you want something that uses little memory then stick with a static website or something using PHP/MySQL. It's just not the same to compare WordPress with Ghost as an example.

I understand. Thanks for sharing.

Nevertheless, while it might not be fair to compare them directly (apple to oranges) since they're running on different code bases, I am comparing them based on end result: A blog web site. By that comparison, Ghost accomplishes about the same end result but uses greater resources than something like WordPress.

Personally, I love the simplicity of Ghost. The UI, especially the editor, is exactly what I want. But I just find it hard to justify the increase in resources for my limited viewership.

For the record, I tested it locally in a VM with 512 MB of RAM and 512 MB of swap. I never experienced any out of memory issues so I have no doubt my production VPS (with greater resources) could handle it.

• @karatekidmonkey said:

I'm using Open VZ :(

You could always ask your provider if they'd be willing to up your RAM for a short period of time so you could do the install. Doesn't hurt to ask.

• LeeLee Veteran
      edited August 2016

karatekidmonkey said: Never saw Node go beyond 70MB RAM and 5% CPU for me. Hm.

I was referring to the actual install stage of ghost rather than just installing node or idling.

• LeeLee Veteran

JustAMacUser said: For the record, I tested it locally in a VM with 512 MB of RAM and 512 MB of swap. I never experienced any out of memory issues so I have no doubt my production VPS (with greater resources) could handle it.

Once you get by the install stage it should not use more than 100MB with light use.

• @Lee said: Once you get by the install stage it should not use more than 100MB with light use.

And what about with a lot of visitors and 1000's of posts? (Asking for curiosities sake..)

• JustAMacUser said: You could always ask your provider if they'd be willing to up your RAM for a short period of time so you could do the install. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I just did the install on a 4GB KVM VPS I have, zipped up the files, and transferred them to my UltraLowEnd VPS. It works well.

Lee said: I was referring to the actual install stage of ghost rather than just installing node or idling.

Yes, the 70mb/5% includes the install stage.

@DigitalFyre Yep (Windoge XP worked on 128MB RAM IIRC :P)

• karatekidmonkey said: @DigitalFyre Yep (Windoge XP worked on 128MB RAM IIRC :P)

And Server 2003 :D

• DigitalFyre said: And Server 2003 :D

Yup. Those were the days..