Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean safe for long term?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

littleguylittleguy Member
edited March 2013 in General

Service and prices are amazing.

512M + 20GB SSD for 5 USD/mo.

It all seems a bit too good to be true.

Company I'm working for is going to be purchasing a bunch of VPS servers, and we'd like to keep them for 2-3 years. Would DigitalOcean be a safe bet? Any chance of deadpooling?

I know this is hard to answer to, I'm just looking for general impressions.

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited March 2013

I suspect they would be bought out if anything, not just go away. Its pretty clear they are learning as they go.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Don't think they're gonna deadpool. They are a great company that provides a top-notch service to the table, with all sorts of new features added often to make their offerings even more intriguing!

Now, that said, it seems to be a creation of the same CEO as:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1790844/web-host-absolves-employee-hacking-blame
    However, I'm sure they are taking new precautions to ensure this does not happen again. There is a DigitalOcean rep on here but I forget his username...

Another link discussing the same thing:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=990410

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: Another link discussing the same thing:

Thanks!
    Also huge thanks to everyone who replied so far!

I did some benchmarking and the only letdown was UnixBench, which came in at ~800 points. Maybe I am a bit spoiled with Hetzner, that provides ~1700 points for every single core. But perhaps 800-1000 is some sort of standard for 1 arbitrary cpu?

• Lower clockspeed per core mean lower score.

• The CPU at DO is very weak.
    CloudShards, Prometeus, RamNode are better in every aspect.

edited March 2013

@hostingwizard_net said: CloudShards, Prometeus, RamNode are better in every aspect.

Except CloudShards and Prometeus are not SSD, at least not plans in those price ranges. Also some of these providers dont have EU datacenters, which is a dealbreaker for me.

CPU aside, DO is pretty damn sweet. Especially since they provide unlimited free backups and snapshots.

• they're not free anymore afaik.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@littleguy

Backups are not free anymore with DO.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@littleguy said: Prometeus are not SSD

Say what ? Most of our plans in stock are ssd now. Even the non-ssd are also provisioned on SSD nodes since there is little space and stock on SAS2, last ones we used in the overzold offer and only minimum spares are kept now.
    Due to shortage and price of drives we are preparing a SAN move to replace current SAS2 offer. Tests already began.
    As for prices... The 40% discount for SSD makes every plan cheaper than DO I think. We do provide 10 GB ftp backup space all for free and 20 GB offsite for Biz plans, also free.
    Sure, no snapshots and no automatic backups because the customer is in full control and nobody can know better what to save and when.

• If you run remote backups for your VPS/es yes they are safe why not.

• IshaqIshaq Member

They are safe.. yes.

I've had good uptime and good I/O.

I don't see the problem.

• @hostingwizard_net said: The CPU at DO is very weak.

E5s I guess... u_u

• ksecksec Member

Well finally they are charging more, Which is a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing means they can finally be trusted as a viable business. So for the long term that is good. The bad thing is that it leave a bad taste in my mouth.

But I would rather they do this sooner rather then later, next step in my mind is properly limiting Port Speed.

I hope they make enough money then to improve on their network. Which currently sucks.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

Any chance of deadpooling?

There is a risk of "deadpooling" with any startup, especially ones that operate in highly competitive glutted markets like VPS/Cloud hosting. They are venture capital funded so...

It is estimated that 40 percent of venture backed companies fail; 40 percent return moderate amounts of capital; and only 20 percent or less produce high returns.

http://www.nvca.org/index.php?Itemid=147

My main complaint about Digital Ocean is their choice of a company name that was made famous by another unrelated much larger company called Digital Ocean in the 1990's.. The 1990's DO was the co-developer of the IEEE 802.11 wireless standard. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Ocean). When I hear the name Digital Ocean I still think Starfish not VPS. Yes, I'm old :P

shoveCEO said "a top-notch service to the table, with all sorts of new features"

Compared to other cloud providers they are severely lacking in features (and innovation), and their recent networking problems/hardware problems make them a bad choice if you're looking for a high availability solution to host your mission critical infrastructure. Digital Ocean is an excellent choice however if you're looking for a cheap, reliable alternative to some of the bedroom based low end hosts that use the Murphy or "OVH/[insert budget DC name] sucks, it was their fault not mine" excuse to cover up their ineptitude. .

• @jevermeister said: they're not free anymore afaik.

Free until June 1st, and the pricing is very cheap (0.02 USD/GB).
    https://www.digitalocean.com/blog_posts/snapshot-and-backup-roadmap

• @littleguy said: Free until June 1st, and the pricing is very cheap (0.02 USD/GB).

I wonder if the snapshots will be compressed, or at least you will be billed by the allocated space, like at Amazon, otherwise this won't be enough cheap if you want to mantain several snapshots per server.

• @yomero said: I wonder if the snapshots will be compressed, or at least you will be billed by the allocated space, like at Amazon, otherwise this won't be enough cheap if you want to mantain several snapshots per server.

I think you might be confusing snapshots with backups.

Snapshots are used to quickly deploy a preset configuration. Thus, they usually take <1GB.

Backups (which are a separate feature DO has) will cost 20% of the server cost. So a 512MB server with backups would be 5 USD + 1 USB (backup) = 6 USD monthly.

Still looking pretty good!

• zagizagi Member

@littleguy: To answer your OP - DigitalOcean is certainly here to stay. We've been on the market for over a year and we're continuing to grow. Every product that we sell brings a bit more revenue and profit ensuring that as we scale up we are not putting ourselves out of business.

Our team is comprised of serial entrepreneurs who've run successful businesses in the past, we have a great team of advisors and the market reaction has been fantastic. As our cloud matures we'll be able to leverage our existing vendor relationships to drive better pricing and build more capacity for our users.

@ksec: As I mentioned in some of our other posts, the network itself functions perfectly with 1Gbps connections to the real servers, and 10Gbps BGP links to the net. The issue is in the virtualization driver that delivers the network to the VM. If your account is verified in our support system you can enable VirtIO network drivers and ensure that you're using an optimized network stack to power your VM. As we grow over the next few months we'll make VirtIO the standard networking option ensuring all users have a fantastic network experience.

We currently do not limit the machines, nor do we have any plans to. Originally our bandwidth was free and unmetered, our early adopter users were grandfathered into free bandwidth plans. For new users we bundle 1TB for just $5/month and add another TB for every plan thereafter. Additional transfer is only $0.02/GB one of the cheapest rates in the market - so it is in our interest that legitimate users have all the bandwidth that they need.

• @littleguy said: Snapshots are used to quickly deploy a preset configuration.

I am aware, but personally I don't know how they are stored. If you say it's 1GB, then is cool.

• edited March 2013

On second thought .. sighs, nm. Don't feel quite right about this post . Argggh !!!

edited March 2013

@yomero said: I am aware, but personally I don't know how they are stored. If you say it's 1GB, then is cool.

I just meant a snapshot shouldn't be your full system including all your stored file.

It should be a newly installed machine that is configured the way you want for a purpose (for example web server). So that you can launch new machines without configuring everything each time.

Without data most Linux dists are about 500-1000 MB.

• edited March 2013

@yomero said: E5s I guess...

Throttled single virtual core. Weak.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 2
    model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    stepping : 3
    cpu MHz : 1999.999
    cache size : 4096 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 4
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm up pni vmx cx16 popcnt hypervisor lahf_lm
    bogomips : 3999.99
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013
  • @rds100 said: Could be one of those Xeon-E5 CPUs @2GHz?

I feel almost sure of that

• 2-3 year lead boots with a provider. Good luck.

If DO does alright they'll be bought, merge or some other things like buying other oddball companies. All of which tend to often mean changes for existing customers and expectations.

You have to be ready to move and fluid with these sorts of services. Anything can and will happen whenever Murphy shows up drunken and belligerent.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: Anything can and will happen whenever Murphy shows up drunken and belligerent.

No matter how drunk, he always manages to find that weak spot and aim at it :(

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

This business is brutal and making predictions for next 3 years is rather ... lets say inappropriate. But whatever happens it wont happen in a day with them for sure. Even better deals will come and i bet you will be changing vendors next year anyway :)

• DigitalOcean is certainly here to stay. We've been on the market for over a year and we're continuing to grow.

• @pubcrawler said: Anything can and will happen whenever Murphy shows up drunken and belligerent. No matter how drunk, he always manages to find that weak spot and aim at it :(

Murphy is drinking the Serbian vino I think :)

@DomainBop, you had to bring Pets.com dot bomb to the table. :) Yep, here today, gone overnight.

• Yeah, your backups are safe, until the very moment they will need to pull them out of Amazon Glacier and get hit with a six-digit bill for doing so :) Only after having waited several hours for the backups to get ready.