Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to Buy RIPE /22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to Buy RIPE /22

CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

I am looking for a /22 RIPE range to acquire if any one has this for sale, please ping me.

Comments

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

Just sign up for another LIR account and request a /22, I believe they opened signups for multiple accounts again using same company.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

LIR?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Register as a LIR in RIPE. They will give you a /22. 2000 euros initial setup fee + 1600 euros for 1 year. And from that point on - 1600 euros per year for membership. (Speaking from memory, It could be +/- some small amount)

Thanked by 1CloudxtnyHost

Great thanks

• @AlexBarakov said:

Register as a LIR in RIPE. They will give you a /22. 2000 euros initial setup fee + 1600 euros for 1 year. And from that point on - 1600 euros per year for membership. (Speaking from memory, It could be +/- some small amount)

I believe the aunnul fee is now approx €1400?

Thanked by 1CloudxtnyHost
  • @MSPNick said:
    I believe the aunnul fee is now approx €1400?

As of the past year, that's correct.

If your going to register as a LIR too I'd recommend doing it at the end of September or beginning of October.

That way you save on this year's annual fee.

Total for this year would be €2350 with €1400 due in Jan.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

@rmlhhd It's possible to pay quarterly upon request.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • I can sell him a /22, but it makes not too much sense - 185 blocks sell for pretty high prices and the smaller other ones (old PI, imported legacy, split PA or full alloc blocks) even higher at "only" /22.

It starts to get cheaper at the /19-/18 area, /16 and larger are sometimes even available for just 5EUR each but the high initial investment (around 330k EUR) make the buyers limited (OVH for example, Softlayer, DO, Saudi and Iranian ISPs, Eastern European semi-state owned ISPs etc.) and these usually have no interest in split sale or renting out BGP blocks.

Once I have a block. Can just setup my own BGP sessions to announce it with two of my DC providers?

• @httpzoom said:
    Once I have a block. Can just setup my own BGP sessions to announce it with two of my DC providers?

Make sure to have a AS number first to do bgp or private AS would work too

@masterqqq said:

@httpzoom said:

Make sure to have a AS number first to do bgp or private AS would work too

Yes sure, but is that it? I know need a router that support BGP but seems too easy :-)

I have two rack in two DC or upstreams as you call it. Currently I am renting IP blocks but if I buy I would not want to pay a fee for someone to announce them if I can do it myself.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Jack i don't see a reason to announce a /22 as 2x /23 straight away? What's the point? There is a number of reasons why you shouldn't do that and not one on the plus side.

I thought you need to have a multi home setup when announcing IPs so I location is the primary and another is the backup?

• httpzoom said: I thought you need to have a multi home setup when announcing IPs so I location is the primary and another is the backup?

hm? who says that? In some regions (notably RIPE) you need 2 ISPs or an ISP + peer for an ASN but even that is not much enforced (and ways around), in no case you need 2 ISPs for BGP or a multihome setup at all from tech side.

• @httpzoom said:
    I have two rack in two DC or upstreams as you call it. Currently I am renting IP blocks but if I buy I would not want to pay a fee for someone to announce them if I can do it myself.

You shouldn't be charged for a single announcement, I don't see the point in using your own AS at this stage.

• @Jacob said:

@httpzoom said:

You shouldn't be charged for a single announcement, I don't see the point in using your own AS at this stage.

I agree - who is going to peer with him? He's probably going to have to pay for bandwidth, since peering agreements usually require somewhere between a 1:1 exchange ratio

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@httpzoom said:

If the network intends to charge you, they will continue to do so. Whether it's updating your route-map or adding a single line network statement on the router, they will just call it differently. I think you should re-negotiate your contract ;-).

I don't see the point to run BGP with single upstream, unless you need an option to inject blackholes or need flexibility to take subnet down.

doghouch said: I agree - who is going to peer with him? He's probably going to have to pay for bandwidth, since peering agreements usually require somewhere between a 1:1 exchange ratio

Internet Exchange's route servers normally don't ask about traffic levels =).