Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I clone two dedicated servers each 10 minutes or so? What with network interface?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I clone two dedicated servers each 10 minutes or so? What with network interface?

As many knows I got lots of Kimsufi KS-3Cs (really 4C+) in the flash sale last month.
Planning to move my sites to a Kimsufi server from my Hetzner server. On Hetzner I use Hyper-V, and export the VM's to another Hetzner server and back home to my home server.
I also have DNS Failover service on my domains, so if one server goes down. another pops up. They are synced with rsync and Navicat MySQL

My next plan is to use two of my KS-3Cs, and then sync server1 to server2. I know I an use rsync for this, but what shall I sync to get the databases and all the data, but not touch the network settings and/or other unique settings for server2. But when the DNS Failover kicks in, Server2 must be totally updated.

Is it possible, and how do I do it?

Comments

• Hello,

Why not rsync all file, to server 2, then when you finish, move the database to server2, shut down server 1.

• That is not what I'm out after. I'm thinking if the Server1 goes down, hardware or network issue, then my DNS Failover kicks in, and direct the traffic to Server2.

• This script moves whole servers: https://github.com/cloudnull/InstanceSync

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Will look into it. It must run on CentOS 6.8 64bit...

• @tr1cky said:
    This script moves whole servers: https://github.com/cloudnull/InstanceSync

To many manual settings. I need something that run it self all the time.

• @myhken said:
    As many knows I got lots of Kimsufi KS-3Cs (really 4C+) in the flash sale last month.

Why are you so sure "many" of us know?

Nobody cares...really.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

globalRegisters said: Why are you so sure "many" of us know?

Because 'many' of us were in the thread where it was mentioned quite often.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @globalRegisters said:
    Why are you so sure "many" of us know?

Nobody cares...really.

Really not the point, I mention it because then people knows that the servers is totally like (CPU, RAM, MB, HDD, Network)

• @Nekki said:

globalRegisters said: Why are you so sure "many" of us know?

Because 'many' of us were in the thread where it was mentioned quite often.

We'll then I stand corrected.
    I guess many know that he got "lots of Kimsufi KS-3Cs (really 4C+) in the flash sale last month".

• GCatGCat Member

You could just write a little nodejs or python script to sync them together - it's trivial to do, maybe 20 minutes work?

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Totally blank on writing nodejs or python scripts...

• Shoot me a PM. I'll write you something up

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Why don't you use something like GlusterFS to connect the file system and do sync sql with another script? Maybe it's a bit messy but two servers in sync is better

Thanked by 1myhken
  • For syncing mysql its important to have an uneven number of servers: that way there are always 2 servers in sync (if one goes down). If you have 1 of your 2 servers go down, they both think they have the right data, while you have no way to determine which is the correct data.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Thanked by 1myhken
  • Many good replies here. Soon bed time here, but will continue in the morning to see if this is a option.

• MadMad Member

You could use rsync with incremental option so it does not need to replicate the files twice and run it via a cron job.

if you need something easier to setup you can even check rsnapshot, easy enough to use:

http://rsnapshot.org/

Thanked by 1myhken