Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

512MB European non-OpenVZ VPS, which one?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

512MB European non-OpenVZ VPS, which one?

ultrakommultrakomm Member
edited December 2011 in Help

Hello!

I'm having a real hard and bad time trying to figure out which VPS provider is worth the time and money.

My requirements are the following:

• 512MB or more memory,
  • located in Europe, preferably Germany, UK or Scandinavia,
  • use of non-OpenVZ virtualization (preferably Xen, but VMware and KVM are also fine),
  • and preferably some sort of VPS management software (SolusVM or other).

So far I've tried LeaseWeb and EasyVDS, both offering VMware for at least decent prices. The problem with LeaseWeb is that it's really slow for some reason, and the support seems to be only half-decent (I'm not sure on the support part, though). The problem with EasyVDS is that the client area is down a lot, and support tickets can take days to be answered (pretty irritating when you need to reinstall the OS).

What provider is reliable and relatively cheap, and can provide me with what I need? I've looked through LowEndBox, but it doesn't say much about what providers are reliable and so on.

Please help this unhosted fool.

Kindest regards,
ultrakomm.

Comments

• jhjh Member

Is Virtuozzo good for you? If so there's ecovps.com

• Ahm, no, you haven't searched enough.

Edis.at
    Inceptionhosting

etc etc

• edis is a great company, highly recommend them!
    also tilaa.nl seems to be pretty great, but i dont think they are in the LEB range

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

Yeah, edis are good. And very flexible - you won't heard from them "it can't be done". If from some reason your edis location wont be suitable for you anymore they will move you to other without problem. Same goes for upgrade/downgrade prepaid plans etc... They don't complicate and do it in most polite manners.

There's also new XenVZ offer at WHT which is worth to reconsider http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7860024&postcount=1 (you wont find stablest vps with more advanced custom control panel in LEB segment imho).

• @jtodd said: Is Virtuozzo good for you?

Virtuozzo is almost the same as OpenVZ

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2011

@tux said: Virtuozzo is almost the same as OpenVZ

There are similarities but there are also some advantages - SLM memory management and the VZPP to name a couple.

The above comment is brought to you by my disdain for SolusVM.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2011

@jtodd said: There are similarities but there are also some advantages - SLM memory management

Right on. SLM memory management is vastly better than OVZ's beancounters. With SLM you get what you pay for WRT memory, none of that foolishness with OOM errors because application X wants to allocate a large amount of memory, which counts against your privvmpages and causes it to hit its barrier before you actually use your so-called 'guaranteed' memory.

• How about Xensmart. They are rather pricey but appear to have more distributions than you shake a stick at. And you can take advantage of the current Christmas offer on Xen PVs if 512Mbs are available. Not quite in LEB range, but if their performance is as good as claimed may be worthwhile.

• +1 for Inceptionhosting (Xen/NL)

• The only european VPS Provider I have tried is IntoVPS and UK2.net

So I would recommend trying UK2.net unmetered bandwidth on 1Gbit port and amazing prices.

• You may try Hostmist.
    I'm fine with it for 8 months.
    7$ month
    99.93% Uptime
    IO - at least 51MB/s
    CACHEFLY - 11 MB/s
    4 cores CPU
    https://clients.hostmist.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=44&promocode=LEBSLICEPRICE

Really fast box.

• @jtodd said: Is Virtuozzo good for you? If so there's ecovps.com

Oh come on, you pretty much invented reliable in the last couple of weeks right?
    Your signature says it all, or is there some rule against promoting your own host?

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2011

@ztec said: Oh come on, you pretty much invented reliable in the last couple of weeks right?

Your signature says it all, or is there some rule against promoting your own host?

If you read carefully you'll see that I was recommending another provider. Also if you click the link in my signature, you'll see I'm not selling any low-end stuff any more (with the exception of some very occasional specials we might do on 128MB VPSs), but again, I don't expect to sell many around here because of the price/resources ratio.

Also if you go through my post history you'll see I'm a genuine member of this community, just like yourself and only run the occasional advert in line with the rules.

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2011

I highly recommend Dynaceron (Interxion/Frankfurt/VMware)

• EDIS KVM in Italy, Austria, Switzerland, UK. Germany

Quickweb XEN in Germany, UK, Switzerland

ramhost KVM in UK

Inceptionhosting XEN or KVM in the Netherlands

I'm using them all and I'm really satisfied with them. There are also some reliable UK providers I haven't tried yet like xenvz or qualityservers.

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2011

AFAIK EDIS doesn't have KVM available in UK/Goscomb (I just ordered one there) and EDIS Italy VPS connectivity was not that good when I tried it. If vServer is an option Clanotopia/Alvotech (Dusseldorf/Interxion) are great and with better network than QuickWeb (Dusseldorf/Equinix). QuickWeb UK (London/UK2) is very good but used to offer only OpenVZ and I guess they stopped to sell CH VPSs long time ago

• I think linux vserver is even worse than openvz.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @Christian said: I think linux vserver is even worse than openvz.

I don't like both but vServer is common in Germany and in my experience vServer providers are much better than OpenVZ providers.

• @netpioneer said: I don't like both but vServer is common in Germany and in my experience vServer providers are much better than OpenVZ providers.

I know. I'm also satisfied with Alvotech and Edis(where I have vservers). But linux vserver technology gives you lot of limitations like you can't have TUN/TAP, GRE or anything like this. Also which I really hate about vserver is that you can't reboot the VPS from SSH. But no doubt Edis and alvotech are both great providers.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member
    edited December 2011

@Christian said: I think linux vserver is even worse than openvz.

The limitations kinda suck, but the point is that OpenVZ hosts can be set up by any n00b in the world, while vServer is a bit harder (more expertised people).
    Have alvotech too for almost a year now, and their German vServers rock. NL servers got DDoSed like three times in a half year.

• @Christian said: I know. I'm also satisfied with Alvotech and Edis(where I have vservers). But linux vserver technology gives you lot of limitations like you can't have TUN/TAP, GRE

iptables ...

• @djvdorp said: The limitations kinda suck, but the plus is that OpenVZ hosts can be set up by any n00b in the world, while vServer is a bit harder (more expertised people).

I would call "a minus" :-)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @netpioneer said: I would call "a minus" :-)

Typo corrected, thanks. That was what I meant indeed.

• For Germany I can highly recommend hosteurope.de. VPS are based on Virtuozzo, but they have a really high performance. Support is also very fast.

• @HerrMaulwurf said: For Germany I can highly recommend hosteurope.de. VPS are based on Virtuozzo, but they have a really high performance. Support is also very fast.

Their prices are starting from € 12,99 that is not really lowend.