Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec outage

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Dacentec/posts/1263978780293683

Text:

We are performing emergency maintenance that may impact some of your services. The maintenance will begin immediately and we will complete the task as soon as possible. We do not have an ETA at this time. Service that may be impacted are
-VPS
-Outgoing Email.
If you experience any other issues, please open a ticket with [email protected]

Comments

• Is let for downtimes?

• I got that as well. It's the first time they do this without early notice. It must be something serious.

• perryoo11 said: Is let for downtimes?

Preemptively beating the budget customers whining about it

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

What sort of issue are they facing?

• I have all the info I have received. I'm not an active customer anymore (quickly moved to QuickPacket without looking back) due to issues like this.

I caught it on Facebook.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

in the message that I got it said
    Service that may be impacted are

-VPS
    -Outgoing Email.

But other than that it did not give any other information on it

• Dacentec isn't the best when it comes to transparency. However VPS issue and outgoing email issue.... I've got a possible theory.

• doughmanes said: I've got a possible theory.

Would you mind to share it?

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited August 2016

3 /22s listed, only a matter of time before all IP ranges are SBL'd.

I'm speaking from my experience working with a much larger provider who faced similar issues.

https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/dacentec.com

• @doughmanes said:
    3 /22s listed, only a matter of time before all IP ranges are SBL'd.

I'm speaking from my experience working with a much larger provider who faced similar issues.

https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/dacentec.com

From what I can see, its all due to those 'Mail Minions' - third IP range is just SBL'd as an escalation

edited August 2016

Are you speaking from experience or as a customer? You sound like a customer.

• WHTWHT Member

And why spamhaus blocks all the range /22 and nit only the ip it was spamming?

• WHT said: And why spamhaus blocks all the range /22 and nit only the ip it was spamming?

>

They're a terrorist organization. Why do terrorists attack innocent people in unrelated venues: because terrorists.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • sandrosandro Member
    edited August 2016

Haven't experienced any downtime for now.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Normally Datacenters should not face downtimes as they have multiple internet connectivity. Only in serious events such as fire, etc. this can happen

• @nogics said:
    Normally Datacenters should not face downtimes as they have multiple internet connectivity. Only in serious events such as fire, etc. this can happen

It's not downtime. They're just saying that sending emails may be affected due to a few of their ranges being placed on a SBL

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@nogics said:
    Normally Datacenters should not face downtimes as they have multiple internet connectivity. Only in serious events such as fire, etc. this can happen

Welcome to the real world. You'll find it more disappointing but you'll learn to enjoy it. :)

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited August 2016

doghouch said: They're just saying that sending emails may be affected due to a few of their ranges being placed on a SBL

Dacentec never said this. I suggested this as a theory because VPS services are impacted (you know, the $10/year ones they do), outgoing mail (see previous point) and notes on the SBLs show that Spamhaus is getting slightly annoyed.

In my experience working with hosting companies, these are red flags that often mean Spamhaus is about to drop some bigger SBLs

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

doughmanes said: these are red flags that often mean Spamhaus is about to drop some bigger SBLs

Spamhaus doesnt need any red flags, they listed us simply because some customer was hosting a spamvertised site they did not get pay for. Since the customer hosting it removed and it came back under another name in same place, they listed full /22s and even /21 iirc for sometime until we started contacting yahoo for example to explain the situation.
    Spamhaus is a bully who doesnt care. The blocklists are no longer (too) relevant today in any case.

edited August 2016

No, it's red flags for the provider. If continued to be ignored, Dacentec will have some larger SBLs

• @doughmanes I pulled that from you, sorry, dr the actual outage.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

The emergency maintenance was due to a reboot of equipment in the datacenter that would have impacted some VPS services. It had nothing to do with the Spamhaus SBL issues that have since been resolved. We try to be as transparent as we can be as well in any issues, maintenance, etc. and are always only a ticket or email away from details or support.

Thanked by 2ChrisMiller AlyssaD