Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Musing About a Free Hosting Company - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Musing About a Free Hosting Company

Comments

• @Jack I have had issues with cPanel working with gre'd IP addresses.

• @Jack Yes, it was the DNS side I was having issues with, I didn't think of doing that :?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@qps said: This is not allowed per the cPanel license agreement. If they catch you, the license provider can get in trouble.

I can't find anything that refers to that here:

http://cpanel.net/legal/noc.html

The agreement discusses VPS but only defines it. There is nothing that says you can't run "one big VPS".

A search in the cPanel forums didn't show anything either.

Not an expert...just would be curious to see where this is defined.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

In the past I was told that a VPS license was limited to 2GB or 2 CPU Cores. I've had cPanel support login to my 8 core, 24GB VPSs in the past though without issues.

• CoreyCorey Member

@KuJoe said: In the past I was told that a VPS license was limited to 2GB or 2 CPU Cores. I've had cPanel support login to my 8 core, 24GB VPSs in the past though without issues.

Same here (with cpanel logging into my mega vps). I thought heck... why pay $30 when I can just virtualize the whole machine on one container.

• Creating one big OpenVZ VPS has other benefits though - like backups from outside the VPS and being able to easily migrate the whole thing to a new server if necessary.

• @Jack he is considering Atoms, KVM does not work on Atoms. OVZ works and is near zero overhead.

Dammit, now I'm actually thinking of doing this. LOL.

• earlearl Member

@raindog308 said: Dammit, now I'm actually thinking of doing this. LOL.

Just Do it!! :)

Could I have a free reseller hosting when your up and running?

• @raindog308 said: Dammit, now I'm actually thinking of doing this. LOL.

Let me join in. LOL

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

Tempting Special from constant.com (Dupont Fabros, choopa DC in NJ)
    Intel x3220 Quadcore 4 x 2.4Gh 4GB DDR3 $59.95 Customize
    E5506 4MB Cache - 1TB HDD 4 x 2.13Ghz 8GB DDR $99.95 Customize
    https://www.constant.com/servers/specials/

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

@qps How many dedicated customers do you have? Do you have your own cage, full rack, etc?

• @bdtech said: Tempting Special from constant.com (Dupont Fabros, choopa DC in NJ)

Intel x3220 Quadcore 4 x 2.4Gh 4GB DDR3 $59.95 Customize
    E5506 4MB Cache - 1TB HDD 4 x 2.13Ghz 8GB DDR $99.95 Customize

like a kimsufi wont suffice for free webhosting

• @bdtech said: Do you have your own cage or full rack?

You make a full rack sound bigger than a cage

• @BronzeByte integrate with cloudflare and then let that save you bandwith and stop ddos

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: You make a full rack sound bigger than a cage

lol thanks, fixed.

• @bdtech said: integrate with cloudflare and then let that save you bandwith and stop ddos

exactly, that's how I wanted to provide free webhosting

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@raindog308, if you want to help out around SD's help desk I can find a free reseller for you on our cPanel server. ;)

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@bdtech said: How many dedicated customers do you have? Do you have your own cage, full rack, etc?

We don't publicly release this information, but we have been in business since 2003 and have many satisfied customers in both Atlanta and Las Vegas.

• @qps said: have many satisfied customers in both Atlanta and Las Vegas.

Yep. Atlanta is an awesome location!

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 - I'd go for ISPConfig for panel.. easy setup (follow the howtoforge)... and nice and free

@twain said: I'd go for ISPConfig for panel.. easy setup (follow the howtoforge)... and nice and free

I've been convinced that cPanel is the way to go, actually. Buying annually you can get the cost down to $13.75/month.

For client interface, probably TheHostingTool.

Forum? MyBB.

clickety clickety...time to throw a movie marathon on...

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 said: I've been convinced that cPanel is the way to go, actually. Buying annually you can get the cost down to $13.75/month.

BuycPanel / Hostdime can do $13/mo so you might be able to get it even cheaper if paid annually.

• Good luck @raindog308!

• You know @raindog308 - I've been pondering the idea of a free host again sometime, if you're in need of an assistant..I'm sure commander pie can vouch for me :P

• Bit of a bump; but this thread kinda gave me the final push to try and give something like this a go.

So I've gone ahead and got myself a fairly cheap ($45) server at WSI. And because I thought "heck why not", I paid the $5 set up fee and got a DirectAdmin license.

Anywho, server should be set up later today/tomorrow; now I'm wondering if DirectAdmin would be the most suitable panel for this or are people really that clingy with cPanel? I'm mainly targeting small communities or developers so I wouldn't think the panel would be that important.

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

Personally I do not care for DirectAdmin from a root management angle, but that's just me, I think there are loads that love it..

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

How do you plan to secure nginx with php? Process per user? chroot?

• MTUser2012MTUser2012 Member
    edited March 2013

When I moved off of Hostgator's reseller hosting, I started by buying a package deal from someone on DP, an LEB with some sites for a good price. As I didn't really care about the VPS or sites, it wouldn't matter if I broke anything, and I could learn by playing around with something that worked as opposed to trying to build something from scratch.

The package was hosted with zPanel. Version 10 was difficult to install and configure and didn't have much for a GUI front end. I believe it would be hopeless for someone who didn't know Linux inside out. This experience taught me to try every free panel available. IMO, Virtualmin is by far the best alternative. I like it better than cPanel. They provide responsive, free technical support through forums. The GUI works well and is simple to operate. The filemanager is java based and is comparable in ease of operation to cPanel's file manager.

For a revenue idea, what about CPA? Some affiliate companies allow incentivized offer completion, you take a survey which nets you say $0.70 and then the customer gets access to the account for some time, a day, a week. When the time is up, must complete new offer.

This model with content locking is used all over the internet to make serious money.

• edited March 2013

You're a little late ... free websites are a dime a dozen I'm sure ...

Google sites, yahoo ( or binghoo now I guess.) Squidoo, wordpress, webz and a gazillion others, I can't at all remember @ the moment. No serious party would partake of a "free" domain or hosting. at least anyone that's non-retarded anyway. Maybe people who are retarded and/or so broke, they can't afford to pay attention. Maybe idjits interested in spam-farms SEO/etc. Or other nonsensical bs ... that's likely to quickly get them delisted and/or your servers blacklisted. Jmo ... not only late to the party, also going to be seriously outclassed.

Free hosting on something like BuyVM ... not so much. More than likely prone to downtime + crashes = chitty service for users and who knows what else ... See the seriously outclassed thing above. Google owns da crap out of several high dollar datacenters ... ALL over da place/world. With 20bil + in revenues ... they aren't pressed for cash.

Same time ... guess isn't any harm in trying it. Not sure what your end game/goal could be. Doesn't mean you don't have a valid one involved either, shrugs.

Random and mostly pointless bs in my post ... Oh well ... Sighs. Can only call em, like I see em ... Unless ya know something .. Save yourself the pain and move onto another proj and/or brainfart imo, ... more shrugs. :P