Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does your home internet support IPv6?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does your home internet support IPv6?

elgselgs Member
edited August 2016 in General

My home internet provider is COX and they natively support IPv6. It's pretty cool. What is your home internet provider? Does it support IPv6?

What's interesting is previously it didn't support IPv6 and even PPTP was blocked. I contacted them. They told me some ports were blocked for residential internet services. I complained, and magically a few days later, PPTP was unblocked, and IPv6 was enabled.

Comments

• pinpin Member

Yes it does. IPv6 out of the box is the new normal.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited August 2016

Telus, and yes it support IPv6...

Sometimes when I'm doing a whois on myself it shows the IPv6 instead of IPv4... don't know why... :P

• Nah. Too much premium

• @sdglhm said:
    Nah. Too much premium

Soon(™)

• @FredQc said:
    Telus, and yes it support IPv6...

Sometimes when I'm doing a whois on myself it shows the IPv6 instead of IPv4... don't know why... :P

Operating systems prefer IPv6 over IPv4 if configuration is done correctly.

• Singtel SG, 6to4 connectivity is available if you can find the admin login and enable it yourself

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Yes, native IPv6 is provided by default in some Australian ISPs.

• TionTion Member

Only got an IPv4 with my current provider.
    IPv6 gets tunneled right now.

• DSL, yes - LTE, no.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • Already 3years native ipv6 here.
    Tho the latency and speeds were worse than over ipv4 so I changed pc settings to prefer ipv4.

• LTE - Maybe...

Fiber - Certainly not.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2016

Yes mine does. That's also one of the reasons why I won't consider switching from it to any other, because others in my city don't.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @deployvm said:
    Yes, native IPv6 is provided by default in some Australian ISPs.

I think mine comes in the category 'its complicated' - my VNO says it does, but their DHCP doesnt provide it, and with all the normal hassles just getting FTTN NBN to work i am kind of enjoying not talking to them lol (not that they arent great, but working net is kinda better, and 85Mbit is a great improvement on the 0.5 i was getting at 1st XD )

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I'm with Australia's largest ISP and after spending about 2 minutes on the phone for every bit in an IPv6 address, and making about 10 phone calls over 3 months I do have IPv6 (on my business ADSL connection).

• @Oliver said:
    I'm with Australia's largest ISP and after spending about 2 minutes on the phone for every bit in an IPv6 address, and making about 10 phone calls over 3 months I do have IPv6 (on my business ADSL connection).

And this, for foreigners, is why EVERY ISP in australia using xDSL is a shitfight Hell$tra is still managing the lines and they are WORSE than the postmaster generals dept they started out as generations ago.

• Cox here as well, it's a nice surprise to have support since most other ISPs don't seem to yet

• I'm with Virgin Media here in the UK no Ipv6 here sadly. :( I'd love it right now.

• sinsin Member
    edited August 2016

Yup, Verizon FIOS just rolled it out here a few weeks ago (Northern VA).

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Cas992 said:
    I'm with Virgin Media here in the UK no Ipv6 here sadly. :( I'd love it right now.

Don't expect it any time soon. BT will have it sooner in production than Virgin runs trial using their own AS.

• miaumiau Member
    edited August 2016

Dual stack has been normal since 2013 here, although some users still stuck with ipv4 only due to old modem.

• Just curious, What sort of allocation do you get for your home network? /48? /56? ... /64?

• OK. My ISP is retarded.

They support IPv6 but we need to use Google V6 DNS. (Or something similar)

• elgselgs Member

@WalrusBug said:
    Just curious, What sort of allocation do you get for your home network? /48? /56? ... /64?

My router got a /56.

• nops...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2016

sdglhm said: They support IPv6 but we need to use Google V6 DNS. (Or something similar)

Most likely they just don't run any v6 nameservers, so if you want one they direct you to Google's. That's nothing to raise a fuss about, you don't really need IPv6 based nameservers in the first place, as long as IPv4 access is also provided.

• @rm_ said:

sdglhm said: They support IPv6 but we need to use Google V6 DNS. (Or something similar)

Most likely they just don't run any v6 nameservers, so if you want one they direct you to Google's. That's nothing to raise a fuss about, you don't really need IPv6 based nameservers in the first place, as long as IPv4 access is also provided.

Do people use ISP DNS Servers??

• mycosys said: Do people use ISP DNS Servers??

Not everyone knows how or what the DNS is. :) So, yeah. Pretty much.

I hope they'll fix it soon since the rise of the v6 only websites. Otherwise, their call centre will be overflowed with calls.

• @sdglhm said:

mycosys said: Do people use ISP DNS Servers??

Not everyone knows how or what the DNS is. :) So, yeah. Pretty much.

I hope they'll fix it soon since the rise of the v6 only websites. Otherwise, their call centre will be overflowed with calls.

i said people, not lusers XD

• mycosys said: i said people, not lusers XD

I think you meant losers ?

• @sdglhm said:

mycosys said: i said people, not lusers XD

I think you meant losers ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luser