Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any point in using SolusVM anymore?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there any point in using SolusVM anymore?

So I'm planning a new project, based on a few dedis running some virtualisation software

I'm currently tied between Proxmox and SolusVM. I really like the look of SolusVM, and want Version 2 (well, the features of it, anyway) but development seems to have stopped completely since onapp took over

Do you think SolusVM is a dead project or not? Curious to see what LET thinks

Comments

• dailydaily Member
    edited August 2016

SolusVM is "currently working on version 2", which is probably why you would think it is dead.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @daily said:
    SolusVM is currently working on version 2, which is probably why you would think it is dead.

The problem is they've been saying it's coming for years. There's a thread from them saying it's coming soon... from 2012 on webhostingtalk :(

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@daily said:
    SolusVM is currently working on version 2, which is probably why you would think it is dead.

Hey man don't hog the bong, other hosts on here want a hit.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Hey man don't hog the bong, other hosts on here want a hit.

It better be the good stuff!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lukehebb said:

Francisco said: Hey man don't hog the bong, other hosts on here want a hit.

If he thinks there's an actual development team tending to Solus past Phill himself then yeah, this is some premo stuff.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@lukehebb said:

Francisco said: Hey man don't hog the bong, other hosts on here want a hit.

If he thinks there's an actual development team tending to Solus past Phill himself then yeah, this is some premo stuff.

Francisco

Updated the post.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I honestly doubt that SolusVM v2 will ever come alive. Considering that SolusVM v2 is actually sort of a competitor for OnApp, costing only a fraction of the pricing.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @AlexBarakov said:
    I honestly doubt that SolusVM v2 will ever come alive. Considering that SolusVM v2 is actually sort of a competitor for OnApp, costing only a fraction of the pricing.

Annoyingly I think you're right

• Proxmox is great, try using it

• @ManofServer said:
    Proxmox is great, try using it

I've used proxmox in the past, but non-technical people will have access, and I don't quite trust them so was looking at solus to simplify things.

I might need to just dive in with proxmox and see if I can restrict them (not used the permissions in proxmox before, only ever used where its sysadmin only access so we all had everything)

• Proxmox is great - I use it for KVM. The only reason SolusVM is so popular is that it works out of the box and has plugins for most billing systems.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@linuxthefish said:
    Proxmox is great - I use it for KVM. The only reason SolusVM is so popular is that it works out of the box and has plugins for most billing systems.

Promox have that as well.

• MadMad Member

SolusVM is not dead, they still release updates for the stable version and "working" on version 2.

• andreamada said: they still release updates for the stable version and "working" on version 2.

Soon™

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I guess it depends on your use case, proxmox was not designed for the hosting market, solusvm was.

Don't hold your breath for version 2, it is not expected to be released until 2021.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Don't hold your breath for version 2, it is not expected to be released until 2021.

I think there should be a competition between SolusVM and R1Soft - who will release the next version quicker than the other. My predictions were that both will release their next versions by around 2020.

• MadMad Member

@DigitalFyre said:

andreamada said: they still release updates for the stable version and "working" on version 2.

Soon™

Yes, it's an endless "work in progress", but at least the v1 is stable.

• jhjh Member

AnthonySmith said: I guess it depends on your use case, proxmox was not designed for the hosting market, solusvm was.

Most of the companies here use WHMCS and there are modules for Proxmox on WHMCS. This would be my choice before Solus.

Thanked by 1postcd

jh said: Most of the companies here use WHMCS and there are modules for Proxmox on WHMCS. This would be my choice before Solus.

Well yes, but the OP said:

lukehebb said: So I'm planning a new project, based on a few dedis running some virtualisation software

So I don't think he plans to start a virt company up, as such proxmox is the obvious answer anyway, but, because proxmox was not designed with hosting in mind imho your asking for a world of hurt if you use it for production hosting

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

SolusVM is good VPS control panel, I really like it because of easy to use. I don't know anything about Proxmox but SolusVM is nice panel specially for Windows VPS management.

• jhjh Member

AnthonySmith said: So I don't think he plans to start a virt company up, as such proxmox is the obvious answer anyway, but, because proxmox was not designed with hosting in mind imho your asking for a world of hurt if you use it for production hosting

Several companies here use Proxmox and I've yet to hear a horror story. What is needed apart from a WHMCS module?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: asking for a world of hurt if you use it for production hosting

in regards vm / vps hosting?

Awmusic12635 said: in regards vm / vps hosting?

Just my opinion but, proxmox comes with zero support unless you pay, and if you use paid support then the price is not even in the same ballpark as solusvm.

Add to that the fact that the proxmox dev's give not even the slightest poop about the whmcs module which is just a bolt on by a third party and what your actually relying on is whoever you bought your proxmox module from as the backbone of your venture, seems silly to me.

Few API changes with little notice combined with a security update and you end up at the mercy of your whmcs module dev.

Just my opinion, proxmox as a stand alone product knocks the crap out of solusvm but for hosting.... I dunno, I would rather use a $10 hammer to hammer in a nail than use the back of an awesome screwdriver.

edited August 2016

I know we use it in production for our stuff

AnthonySmith said: Just my opinion but, proxmox comes with zero support unless you pay, and if you use paid support then the price is not even in the same ballpark as solusvm.

Decent point, though overall in my experience proxmox has been so stable that I have never needed support. There is always their IRC channel, forum or mailing list if you need help.

AnthonySmith said: Add to that the fact that the proxmox dev's give not even the slightest poop about the whmcs module which is just a bolt on by a third party and what your actually relying on is whoever you bought your proxmox module from as the backbone of your venture, seems silly to me. Few API changes with little notice combined with a security update and you end up at the mercy of your whmcs module dev.

This one is a very valid point. We ended up getting the full source version of the module and have made enough changes to the base module that it wouldn't even be feasible to merge any updates from the module vendor in. So any additional features we want we just get developed in, API changes or security updates.

Ended up doing a custom build of proxmox to extend their API to add additional features (tun,ppp,fuse etc) enabling via the API, since as you mentioned it wasn't designed for selling hosting.

In my opinion it can be used in production, you just need to put in a bit more work to get it set up in that way.

Well it sounds like your willing and able to put the work in to make that solution work for you so in that case your probably doing the right thing.

What do you plan to do when they completely drop OpenVZ support out off interest, which they were due to do in April, not sure if they did though ?

• They have a documentation on converting things over to LXC. Which for his purpose should be fine. Only those offering hosting service should have major concern.

@AnthonySmith said:
    Well it sounds like your willing and able to put the work in to make that solution work for you so in that case your probably doing the right thing.

What do you plan to do when they completely drop OpenVZ support out off interest, which they were due to do in April, not sure if they did though ?

seriesn said: Only those offering hosting service should have major concern

Yep, that was kind of my point :)

AnthonySmith said: What do you plan to do when they completely drop OpenVZ support out off interest, which they were due to do in April, not sure if they did though ?

They dropped development for additional features but they are still doing security updates through the debian security cycle as far as I am aware. So I am good for the moment.

Though obviously openvz being dropped in proxmox 4 wasn't the greatest thing for me :P . Where I go from there is still undetermined. Likely I will end up going full custom panel instead of the half and half I have now, but the virt tech I choose I'm not sure of. OpenVZ 7 is still untested and a openvz -> KVM migration isn't exactly a smooth change for customers (can't convert their existing servers to KVM).

edited August 2016

Yep well that in a nut shell is why I would pick solusvm over proxmox for hosting, you obviously have the time, energy and resources to commit to going full custom panel so it seems like a good way forward for you.

For me I don't want to be forced to go down a path I did not choose because I brought a shovel when I needed a spade.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

@jh said:

AnthonySmith said: So I don't think he plans to start a virt company up, as such proxmox is the obvious answer anyway, but, because proxmox was not designed with hosting in mind imho your asking for a world of hurt if you use it for production hosting

Several companies here use Proxmox and I've yet to hear a horror story. What is needed apart from a WHMCS module?

Not ture i have Zero issue with Promox our server up since beginning not even reboot! While my owned OpenVZ Panel lack of KVM i using promox. We may do KVM and OpenVZ control panel for around $5 however it needs more time than we expected.