Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large backup solution LEB perhaps?! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Large backup solution LEB perhaps?!

2»

Comments

• earlearl Member

@HalfEatenPie said: USB 2.0 is limited to 480 Mbit/s (on a good day).

I think USB 2.0 is still ok.. but if you have that much data to transfer all at once you can disassemble the unit and install the HD it in the computer thought the sata port..

@KuJoe said: If somebody breaks into my house and steals my computer, they'll most likely steal my home NAS, server, and external hard drives also. If my house burns down then all my data inside will go with it also.

That's true my buddy had his house broken into and they stole all his computers/ laptops..

• Storage is just like a vault where folks store their valuables.

That said, why do folks leave fancy servers and storage out in the open at their home? Do you folks leave your cash, jewelry, property deeds, etc. out in the open also? You need to embed the storage into the structure in lieu of a vault. It isn't hard. You can use gravel to make a box with some support steel. Wrap whole thing up in stucco style cement covering.

Whole setup needs discrete and secure power and data lines. Recommend bringing them in under the floor (ideally cement) in a buried trench.

I mean, even in lieu of this, you could just put a full 42U server rack in with proper doors and locks and load it up with servers. Thieves aren't going to move it out very easily. Especially if in a room that was built around it and no way to roll the rack through an exit route.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

I used to have all of my servers/drives/NAS/network/UPS under my futon... but it got moved into the living room so now everything is just sitting on the floor in my office. :(