Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Years later, Virtualizor is still terrible.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Years later, Virtualizor is still terrible.

DamianDamian Member
edited August 2016 in General

I'm writing to save you from yourself: don't use Virtualizor.

Boy... that's verbose. There was an error. Too bad we don't get to know what it was. This was on a brand new install I performed a few hours ago.

Terrible error reporting was my complaint nearly five YEARS ago: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/17820/#Comment_17820

As of August 2015, the statement was "Within the next month the new system will be live with logging and tasking from the panel." Source: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1239778/#Comment_1239778

What's even better is that every tool used, like libvirt, returns an error code that can be returned to let the operator know what's going on. But no, it doesn't. After many years of development, there was an error. That's all you get. Good luck!

There appears to be no interest in improving the system. If you're using it, get out while you can. If you're considering using it, better don't!

Comments

• What about the update to Webuzo that they released a few days ago and broke the functionality of adding a new domain... and i'm still waiting for a fix.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Damian are you back in the VPS hosting world or just using Virtualizor for personal use?

• @zafouhar

Are you facing the issue in v2.4.7 ?

If yes, then open a support ticket with root details and we will resolve the issue.

If not, then just update to 2.4.7.

• Go to Virtual Servers > List All and try starting the VM. I've seen verbose error messages this way. Also check the log file at /var/virtualizor/log/addvs/.log.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Check the tasks what does it says

Check does your storage volume is correct

Check the media does the OS templates loaded to server 100%

We using virtualizor without such issues. Add them to Skype and discuss for a fix

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yeah add them to skype, you will just bee asked for a root 'password' haha.

The problem with Virtualizor is they don't listen, they don't document and they have almost no quality control, the entire business model was based around being cheaper than solusvm.

So if you want a cheaper version of solusvm, use it, other than that.... its ridiculous.

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • But still, they have serious issues to their business model... Yes, it is far more stable than virtualizor, but updates with new features and the long-waited v.2 are some of their issues...
    In an end-client's perspective (not an active user and definitely not in the hosting industry - nor want to be there) it is odd that the standards of the industry (control panel and automation for virtualization) are not so high. The bar is raised to solus high and the commercial competitors are even more (much more) lower than that...

• I was very happy with virtualizor and given you provide them with root access they always fix your problems :) Atleast for me it was like that^^ Though I did only use them for non critical projects as giving away root pw is usually quite dangerous.

• MadMad Member

We all know their reply as it used to be in the other thread:

@virtualizor said:
    Quite a lot bugs are there in SolusVM as well. We fix our bugs very often, you can check the releases made by us : http://www.virtualizor.com/blog/

We fix bugs as and when reported. Also our release policy has changed in the past few months. We first put our launches in the release branch before making it stable to be able to get feedback from the "Release" branch testers.

Our focus is on stability and hence we have seen a pretty good growth in license count.

edited August 2016

Ympker said: giving away root pw is usually quite dangerous.

uh yeah, the security policy of a company that asks you for it before any troubleshooting is done is also seriously questionable, lets not even get into how amplified that is over skype.

Thanked by 2KuJoe seriesn
  • @softachusain said:
    @zafouhar

Are you facing the issue in v2.4.7 ?

If yes, then open a support ticket with root details and we will resolve the issue.

If not, then just update to 2.4.7.

Why can't you just setup a Webuzo VPS with v2.4.7 so you can see the problem yourselfs? thing is I don't like giving out root passwords and yes it occurs with v2.4.7 despite your support team saying that its fixed.

You have a typing error, you are adding the DKIM record with no ending quote and thus the DNS service is failing to start. Should really be a 5 minute fix and not a 1 week asking for root password fix.

• WHTWHT Member

Haters gonna hate. If you dont like dont use it. Go with solus and wait for days or months things to be fixed. Uh.. forgot the V2.

• BlazingServersBlazingServers Member, Host Rep

Though they ask for root pass, I always tell them that I can't give it out, so they come on TeamViewer and help me...

• why you install teamviewer on server?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @tommy said:
    why you install teamviewer on server?

Presuming he means his own PC which has an open SSH connection. And he can monitor them for safety's sake

edited August 2016

Is it 2 or 3 hosts here that have been essentially ruined due to giving poorly paid tech support access to team viewer, I forget?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

So the position for alternative to SolusVM is still open it seems. I had a nice chat with two of the guys from ISPsystem about their vmmanager at hostingcon. Next in line, maybe?

• @jarland said:
    So the position for alternative to SolusVM is still open it seems. I had a nice chat with two of the guys from ISPsystem about their vmmanager at hostingcon. Next in line, maybe?

8 euro for each node license (openvz or kvm)

edited August 2016

jarland said: I had a nice chat with two of the guys from ISPsystem about their vmmanager at hostingcon.

I communicated with them over email a while back, from what I can see they have a long way to go to catch up and they don't fully seem to understand how to truly migrate people from solusvm.

IMO to beat solusvm there is a very simple principal, You need to at least have every feature that solusvm has and you have to offer a documented and tested migration path.

Because not a single contender has managed that, there has never been a true contender.

There was a panel that vanished in to obscurity a while back called hostguard, they at least had the second part taken care of by thinking in advance and making the billing modules a direct swap out but they never really got off the ground with the features side iirc.

This is the same reason virtkick is not getting any solusvm market share, it would be a downgrade in terms of user and admin features and they have no billing module that is swap out, which as always means it only appeals to new companies.

Thanked by 1jar
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Solusvm encrypts 3 parts but only one of the matters. The host keys can be remade easily enough and the root passwords should never have been stored, period.

The VNC password is the only part that matters for kvm and quite honestly you can just easily require() their encoding class and use it. The class is simple and has a hard coded salt that gets concat with the value in the solusvm.conf file.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2016

There's always VirtPanel. Looks like it's had a makeover. Had no trouble importing SolusVM created containers into it.

But I would hope others would learn from my mistake there ;)

• For me virtualizor in perfect. Make sure your storage is correct . restart the server and check error log for troubleshooting.

• Looking at the price point, it would not make sense to a lot of hosts to switch to Virtpanel. Unless you are a semi big player, that cost doesn't pay it self back and if you are about that size, it is just smart to get your own panel build and maintained like @francisco @kujoe

@jarland said:
    There's always VirtPanel. Looks like it's had a makeover. Had no trouble importing SolusVM created containers into it.

But I would hope others would learn from my mistake there ;)

• has this virtualizer now improved

• Holy fucking necro

• eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

@nitramoneito said:
    has this virtualizer now improved

Not as much as your necro skillz.

EDIT:
    Inserted quote.
    Clicked "Save Comment".

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • But still: Has it improved?