Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up a residential VPN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up a residential VPN

Hello,

I'm rather new to this world.

I'm looking for information detailing the specifics and implications of setting up a VPN server on my computer using my ISP IP address.

I understand I can just set up an Open VPN server?

Are there alternatives?

What encryption should I concern myself with?

How many people can connected to my server?

Can I prove that I don't log?

I would also appreciate general information about this.

Such as server maintenance and possible legal liability.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• I'd recommend OpenVPN. If you have static IP brilliant just configure port forwarding on your router and done.

Dynamic? Either you can use a dynamic DNS service or chain the VPNs together.

How many people can connect? What server do you have?

Encryption? The higher the more secure 4096 bits is good.

Do you need to prove you can't log?

• Thanks for your response.

I intended to configure my windows 10 1TB laptop as a server. Is that not feasible?

What would you recommend?

Not sure how many people I can connect. Does my ISP dictate this?

Thanks for the encryption advice.

I don't need to prove I can't log, it was just a side thought.

• @Notmebro said:
    Thanks for your response.

I intended to configure my windows 10 1TB laptop as a server. Is that not feasible?

oh no summer vpn host lol

• How many users do you plan to let through it? Also what country are you in? I don't mind the laptop running as a server heck my home server is a laptop. (Until next month) just if you are selling this you are on thin ice. Laptops aren't designed to run 24/7 nor are their batteries. Also abuse, if someone does illegal activities you will be blamed

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Please let us know when you launch the service. I will be signing up and torrent a lot of Game of Thrones episodes.

Thanked by 1SpicyPepper
  • @OpticalSwoosh said:
    How many users do you plan to let through it? Also what country are you in? I don't mind the laptop running as a server heck my home server is a laptop. (Until next month) just if you are selling this you are on thin ice. Laptops aren't designed to run 24/7 nor are their batteries. Also abuse, if someone does illegal activities you will be blamed

Up to 10 users. UK

Can't I make some legal contract beforehand, specifying expected use.

Wouldn't there be some plausible deniability, if I never keep logs?

• @Notmebro said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    How many users do you plan to let through it? Also what country are you in? I don't mind the laptop running as a server heck my home server is a laptop. (Until next month) just if you are selling this you are on thin ice. Laptops aren't designed to run 24/7 nor are their batteries. Also abuse, if someone does illegal activities you will be blamed

Up to 10 users. UK

nope you are responsible if someone does something illegal on your network regardless lol.

• @timnboys said:

@Notmebro said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:

Up to 10 users. UK

nope you are responsible if someone does something illegal on your network regardless lol.

Hes not asking you.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited August 2016

If vpn will be used to provide access to family members or close friends, then, it will be easy and OK.
    But, If you want to provide commercial access or give access to unknown people, then, you probably break your contract with your isp, you put yourself in a great danger and, of course, there is not any valid contract you can sign with them to prevent illegal usage or to say you don't have any responsibility about their actions.
    On the technical side, it is not hard to setup a vpn service to win10 either with static ip or with dynamic ip using services like no-ip, but it would be much more easy and stable if you could use a linux installation, even using a small machine like a raspberry.
    A home connection could hardly provide stability to allow smooth access to more than a few (3-4?) people simultaneously.
    Again, before doing anything, think of the great dangers that giving access to your home ip and ISP could affect you. And no, denying keeping logs would not release you from liability. The opposite: you will be liable for any actions other guys did without even having any proof you didn't do them...

• Thanks for that advice.

• @timnboys said:

@Notmebro said:
    Thanks for your response.

oh no summer vpn host lol

Actually, we're not worried about summer VPN hosts. We're only worried about another Nuggets.

Besides, summer is nearly over.

• Let me know when the service goes live! Would love to download tons of Bangbros (in the TB's) in torrents from TPB.

• miaumiau Member

No internet laws doesn't work that way lol

• Please create another account and ask another question later.

Too many new user asking for VPN :) and no one take advise.

• @miau said:

No internet laws doesn't work that way lol

LowEndLaw :) always there when you need it.