Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net need a review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net need a review

hey i tried in the last couple of days looking for a reviews for online.net didnt get anything from the last 1-2 years.. is anybody with them ? hows the hardware and support ?
i heard they got some pretty basic free ddos protection around 10gb/s ? ill be happy to hear from people that got experience with them or still using their services

Comments

• i just know that like locked your servers need pay fee to unlock.

and any question boot you server to rescue mode need backup all data move to others and reinstall to use.

not better for me.

• Network, support is good

But setup fee is too high.

They will notif you if your server do abuse, and will terminate server if 3 times abuse

• lolfust1lolfust1 Member
    edited August 2016

@hawkjohn7 said:
    Network, support is good

But setup fee is too high.

They will notif you if your server do abuse, and will terminate server if 3 times abuse
    abuse ? if someone sending ddos attack to my server for their tos its abuse ?, abuse can be called alot of things. i want to host some clients websites over there

• I think they are good

I have 2 production server in there. I got (almost) new disk for all my server I order. Fast support.

Don't forget that if you want to cancel, you must cancel before 20th

I think the downside is just high setup fee.

• If you get ddosed will not break the term between you and the host as @hawkjohn7 means.

You get a waring if the server sends OUT ddos. Attacks.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited August 2016

You do get abuse tickets created by support if anyone contacts them with your IP (and you have to respond back within 24 hours), but they don't ban you after 3 cases of abuse (although I guess it depends on the severity of the abuse - the same as with all providers).

I get a notice for my seedbox from time to time, a total of 6 notices in 2 years and haven't been banned. They just email me wanting confirmation the notice has been handled, I respond back once I've fixed the error and that's that.

• @ManofServer said:
    I get a notice for my seedbox from time to time, a total of 6 notices in 2 years and haven't been banned. They just email me wanting confirmation the notice has been handled, I respond back once I've fixed the error and that's that.

DMCA complaints?

• thx for the honest answers guys!

• I've always had good experience with them myself. Even though the setup fee is high. If you're looking to have a server long term it's worth it.

• Their support is very good, answers in minutes.
    Their network is pretty good with a good map to show you all the peers.
    Their prices are awesome but they have high setup fees.
    Their client panel is very good with free IPMI for most of the servers (not the 5$ atoms, of course), with good rescue system and with a lot of installations (from a good variety of O/S to bare metal hypervisors to install)
    They have a good monitoring system that alerts you and/or the support if anything goes down.

notgod said: i just know that like locked your servers need pay fee to unlock. and any question boot you server to rescue mode need backup all data move to others and reinstall to use. not better for me.

Wot? First, your English is poor and hardly at least for me to understand you.
    What do you mean by locking your server and pay fee?
    Also, your server goes to rescue mode only if you do it or ask support to do it for you. And, no, when the server goes to rescue mode all of your data remains there, you certainly don't have to backup anything or reinstall the server, if you know linux administration you just use rescue mode or IPMI to fix any issues and with a simple reboot, the server become in the previous state with all the data.
    Please, don't throw false accusations when even being incapable to even spell what you want to...

Thanked by 1Inglar
  • @jvnadr said:
    Their support is very good, answers in minutes.
    Their network is pretty good with a good map to show you all the peers.
    Their prices are awesome but they have high setup fees.
    Their client panel is very good with free IPMI for most of the servers (not the 5$ atoms, of course), with good rescue system and with a lot of installations (from a good variety of O/S to bare metal hypervisors to install)
    They have a good monitoring system that alerts you and/or the support if anything goes down.

notgod said: i just know that like locked your servers need pay fee to unlock. and any question boot you server to rescue mode need backup all data move to others and reinstall to use. not better for me.

Wot? First, your English is poor and hardly at least for me to understand you.
    What do you mean by locking your server and pay fee?
    Also, your server goes to rescue mode only if you do it or ask support to do it for you. And, no, when the server goes to rescue mode all of your data remains there, you certainly don't have to backup anything or reinstall the server, if you know linux administration you just use rescue mode or IPMI to fix any issues and with a simple reboot, the server become in the previous state with all the data.
    Please, don't throw false accusations when even being incapable to even spell what you want to...

After 2 locks on a single server I'm pretty sure theres a 19 euro reactivation fee. 3rd lock is a full wipe. Considering I've had two false locks from them it makes me uneasy to recommend them for anything.

• They are really good support is really fast.They changed hdd on my server for 2€ in ~14min but they dont offer more support for that server I have also limited server also support fast got today answer in 5min

• IThinkUFailed said: After 2 locks on a single server

If a locked server has as reason outgoing flood, online.net is known to be very strict with it... I didn't know about any reactivation fee, but I know, when a server is locked, you still can have access in rescue mode. Simply mount the drives and you could do yourself a check to diagnose the reason of the flood.
    Now, if it was false locks, they should give proofs of the reason (normally, flooding). What was the logs that showed illegal activity?
    It seem strange that you had been locked twice for false reasons. Even in WHT, guys that claimed online.net locked them for no reason, later they admitted that their server was hacked, the servers had been used for attacks and they failed to secure properly the nodes.
    I have 5 servers with them since over one and a half year and never got locked. The support has always been very friendly and quick, at least for me.

• @jvnadr said:

IThinkUFailed said: After 2 locks on a single server

If a locked server has as reason outgoing flood, online.net is known to be very strict with it... I didn't know about any reactivation fee, but I know, when a server is locked, you still can have access in rescue mode. Simply mount the drives and you could do yourself a check to diagnose the reason of the flood.
    Now, if it was false locks, they should give proofs of the reason (normally, flooding). What was the logs that showed illegal activity?
    It seem strange that you had been locked twice for false reasons. Even in WHT, guys that claimed online.net locked them for no reason, later they admitted that their server was hacked, the servers had been used for attacks and they failed to secure properly the nodes.
    I have 5 servers with them since over one and a half year and never got locked. The support has always been very friendly and quick, at least for me.

Outgoing flood, My servers logs proved to have no evidence of this and I spent 2 weeks monitoring after the initial report. The second lock they admitted it was a false report.

It was shortly after they reworked their DDoS mitigation and such so I wasn't too shocked but did everything in my power to ensure there was nothing my server was doing that was wrong. They later stated on the second lock that it was a false report which makes me believe with the increased amount of people having the same issue as me that the first one was false too.

• IThinkUFailed said: hey later stated on the second lock that it was a false report

Your experience was not good... Did they charge you for the false locks? Did this happen only in the period they reworked their ddos filters?

• IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited August 2016

@jvnadr said:

IThinkUFailed said: hey later stated on the second lock that it was a false report

Your experience was not good... Did they charge you for the false locks? Did this happen only in the period they reworked their ddos filters?

I cancelled after I spoke to the head of networking regarding it and asked him look into it but he said it wasn't worth his time. So I packed my bags and left for OVH. Same VMs and it's been about 8 months without any issues. This was during the period in which they re-worked filters and such. I wasn't charged for the false locks though but they did specify that I would be if it happened again - but it was a false report so they didn't charge.

Please be advised about the way Online handles unlocking your server after a flood:

After the first flood, the server is released into rescue mode without forced relocation.
    After the second flood, the server is released into rescue mode with forced relocation.
    After the third flood, the server may have to be terminated automatically or it is possible that the release will be charged.

Relocation = Re-installation

• IThinkUFailed said: After the first flood, the server is released into rescue mode without forced relocation. After the second flood, the server is released into rescue mode with forced relocation. After the third flood, the server may have to be terminated automatically or it is possible that the release will be charged.

To tell the truth, those rules are not bad. If you have a first incident, then, you have your opportunity to fix the error. In the second incident, you have again the ability to fix the issue alone, getting the stuff from the server as a backup and reinstalling the server. They charge you after the third incident, that I found it as reasonable...
    Also, I suppose that if incidents are having time distance between them (e.g. 3-4 months) they don't count it as a second incident in a row...
    As of their network head answer, it is not the best, but consider that they admitted their false and unlocked your server, so, spending time for further investigation when not needed, it is money for them.
    You were in a bad luck, with bitter experience of them, but it seem that it was an isolated incident and their general rules are not bad for their clients...

• @jvnadr said:

IThinkUFailed said: After the first flood, the server is released into rescue mode without forced relocation. After the second flood, the server is released into rescue mode with forced relocation. After the third flood, the server may have to be terminated automatically or it is possible that the release will be charged.

To tell the truth, those rules are not bad. If you have a first incident, then, you have your opportunity to fix the error. In the second incident, you have again the ability to fix the issue alone, getting the stuff from the server as a backup and reinstalling the server. They charge you after the third incident, that I found it as reasonable...
    Also, I suppose that if incidents are having time distance between them (e.g. 3-4 months) they don't count it as a second incident in a row...
    As of their network head answer, it is not the best, but consider that they admitted their false and unlocked your server, so, spending time for further investigation when not needed, it is money for them.
    You were in a bad luck, with bitter experience of them, but it seem that it was an isolated incident and their general rules are not bad for their clients...

Agreed the rules are fair. I just didn't like the attitude of the networking guy nor did I appreciate him saying "If the network said you did it, you did it." because false positives happen, there's no ifs or buts about it. I was very willing to work with them but felt the people I needed to work with weren't willing to work with me. Bad taste in my mouth so I've taken my own stuff off of their network and currently have a single server with them for a friends school projects but I don't count that as mine.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep

Online.net get good hardware and network in reasonable price

Good for mid range website

I won't find good about their ddos policy.

Hardware replacement time is reasonable in working hours

Phone support is good. Even if you fail to make the problem understandable via phone an automated ticket will be open as soon as they pick call

Also their English is good over phone support. I hope I talked them 5 times total outgoing. But I got incoming over 20+ before hardware replacement,ipmi reset and for some issue resolution.

Ticket support I get response within 5 minutes. But some reply can't understandable in first view.(spelling mistakes and grammar errors).

Abuse ticket - just got 3 over 2 year . Just replied and gone

Recent what I faced and thinking to move is bandwidth restriction

1.As most server, we use for Vps hosting their will be constant flow of traffic over their guranteed limited. So recently they limited to very low bar rate for a server. They asking us to upgrade for extra fee now

1. We had misconfigured a network adapter which ended breaking network as well as ipmi on start. Till I am confused how such happen

Over all a good provider with great hardware and support

1. We had misconfigured a network adapter which ended breaking network as well as ipmi on start. Till I am confused how such happen

Shared NIC perhaps, some servers can share the same NIC for the IPMI as for data :-/