Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec

2»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

OpticalSwoosh said: Don't abuse theroyalstudent. You will be LowEndMobbed

I don't think so, the only reason nobody hates on @theroyalstudent is that @MrGeneral is still around.

• @Nekki said:

I don't think so, the only reason nobody hates on @theroyalstudent is that @MrGeneral is still around.

Exactly.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Nekki said:

You have made me smile. Well done :)

• theroyalstudent said: That being said, if I'm the provider you would have ended up on FraudRecord for being annoying lol.

Because abusing FR is fine huh? You're the sort of provider I'd keep away from with that attitude.

Unsure why you'd ask for an IP address as compo, it was likely sold as unmanaged and thus any failures they perhaps be responsible to replace the failed component within their service agreement but you are responsible for keeping adequate backups should you need them. You were aware it was old hardware and that likely the drives would be nearing end of life. Even a software raid1 could have failed you here, onboard or hardware raid is the only solution i'd have for this setup. Alternativly, use VMs and perform snapshot backups, or simply have an Rsync on the critical data you want to keep. - Not ideal as if it fails you'll need to rebuild but atleast you have the data.

Realisitcaly, do you need a dedicated server of this size? Would a VPS not suffice with the right provider?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited August 2016

@t0mmy said:
    I have one server there since jan 2016
    its a Supermicro 5150 8GB 2x2TB Rent Only for 20$/month
    for me much HDD space is important

Performance is not very good because of old hardware (e.g.DDR2 RAM) but price-performance ratio is very good imo

network speed is 1Gbit... getting about 50-70MB/s when transferring files.

at the moment im not that happy with the server:
    about 1 month ago a HDD failed... they replaced it very fast, good support

i had to setup the whole server new
    about 5 days ago the other HDD failed and had to be replaced too
    again i had to setup the whole server new

now the part where im starting to get really unhappy:
    i asked 4 days ago if i can have 1 more IP as compensation because then i can install VMware ESXI and make a backup of the VM to an other server and if the HDD fails its no problem to loose all data but saves me much time... just recover the VM and dont have to install the whole server new.

thats the answer i got 4 days ago:

Hello,

The Billing Department and your account manager return the next business day (M-F 8AM-5PM EST).

I'll move this ticket to the Sales Department and mark its status as Open so your account manager is aware.
    We will work to provide you resolution for your issue and update you as soon as possible.

today im still waiting for the sales team to answer that simple question

btw they want 3$ for an IP... thats too much imo

i think if i dont get the IP for free i have to end the service and get an new server somewhere else

If their network team are willing to do it and you are able to manipulate the routing tables on your server it's possible to use that entire /30 rather than just the 1 usable IP they claim is available so for that $3 you actually get as many as 4 extra ip's ;-)

You can do it in proxmox not sure about ESXi.

By default they allocate a /30 and then waste 3 IP's because one is their gateway and the other 2 are network and broadcast.

What I did is I created a virtual router and assigned it a /30 from RFC1918 space, this is purely a link between the VM and my Server so the rest of the network doesn't need to know or care about it, it's litreally to facilitate adding a static route into the Hypervisors routing table.

Then I asked the Dacentec network team to route the /30 to my servers primary IP rather than dump it onto my Vlan like they usually would,

I then add a static route for the public /30 pointing at the RFC1918 address of the virtual router.

From that point I use NAT to translate it to the backend VM's but it's upto you how you handle it, I also SRC-NAT the routers own traffic to one of the public IP's so it can grab updates.etc

So effectively the routing table within proxmox looks like this.

default via 192.254.xxx.xxx dev vmbr0 < Dacentec's router

10.0.0.239.0/30 dev vmbr3 proto kernel scope link src 10.0.239.1 < Linknet to allow the Host to communicate with the virtual router

192.111.xxx.xxx/30 via 10.0.239.2 dev vmbr3 < Addational subnet routed onto the virtual router

192.254.xxx.xxx/30 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.254.xxx.xxx < Servers primary IP

Thanked by 1seaeagle
  • @eastonch said:

theroyalstudent said: That being said, if I'm the provider you would have ended up on FraudRecord for being annoying lol.

Because abusing FR is fine huh? You're the sort of provider I'd keep away from with that attitude.

Eh, excuse me, I don't run a provider.

Also, read the description of FraudRecord.

FraudRecord - Report and Query Unpleasant Clients, Fraudsters, Scammers, Spammers, Abusers on Fraud Record.

OP is easily an unpleasant client.

• GamerGamer Member
    edited August 2016

@Nekki, @theroyalstudent

Two of the most ignorant and unhelpful members of this thread, why do you feel the need to bully other members with your childish remarks? I'm guessing the both of you were picked on in school and have now became keyboard cowboys.

Maybe it's time to turn off the pc and go outside for some vitamin D.

Kids now a days have no respect, even when hiding behind a keyboard.

GROW UP KIDS!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Gamer said: GROW UP KIDS!

Liiiiick maaaaaa baaaaaaallls!

Thanked by 3pbgben doghouch MikePT
  • @Gamer said:
    @Nekki, @theroyalstudent

Two of the most ignorant and unhelpful members of this thread, why do you feel the need to bully other members with your childish remarks? I'm guessing the both of you were picked on in school and have now became keyboard cowboys.

GROW UP KIDS!

...what? picked on in school? shut up, you psychopath. you don't know me, and nor do i know you. more like people treating me to free stuff because why not.

i'm not bullying someone like @tommy when he's the kind of idiot who goes to some other thread and just post "LOL". he just deserves it!

i already had my say with my first reply. not sure how that isn't logical and counted as "unhelpful".

well, OP isn't very logical with asking for IPs for compensation, if you got an issue with me expressing my views, please, get off the internet.

thanks.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Drive failures happen. Backups are your responsibility with an unmanaged provider. If you don't want to keep setting things up over and over, run RAID, monitor it and have the provider replace failed drives immediately. Not that hard.

• There's a saying that in the US that goes, "the customer is always right."

Well in this case, the customer is a flat out entitled dick and needs to understand that backups are his/her own responsibility with an unmanaged, budget provider.

• t0mmyt0mmy Member
    edited August 2016

some hours ago i got answer that i cannot get a IP for free

again: the lost data is no problem only setup the OS takes some time...

ill try to get a IPv6 tunnel what theroyalstudent mentioned

btw i dont understand why i get bashed that hard here... i only asked if i can have the IP for free i did not demand it...

only problem i had was that it takes them some time to answer me that simple question

my thoughts was if i get the IP i can stay there for sure with VM backup... now im not sure to stay there but maybe that ipv6 stuff works somehow (im a noob with ipv6)

again i think dacentec is very good price-performance ratio... the first 6 month there where absolutely no problem

have a nice day everyone ;)

edit: i have a vps at scaleway with openvpn maybe someone know if openvpn can be used as ipv6 tunnel

• t0mmy said: i only asked if i can have the IP for free i did not demand it

t0mmy said: i think if i dont get the IP for free i have to end the service and get an new server somewhere else

By the way you'll have to explain to me how getting another IP will save you any trouble in the case of a hard drive failure.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran

t0mmy said: btw i dont understand why i get bashed that hard here

You want compensation for no reason, they replaced the faulty drives in good time, you said that in your opening post, you are happy with the server and service in general.

Or look at it this way, an IP costs $3 per month, you are paying $20 for the server, so you should pay $23 per month, on an already very cheap deal you want a further 13% discount for life.

Feck off..

• @daily said:
    By the way you'll have to explain to me how getting another IP will save you any trouble in the case of a hard drive failure.

if i have 2 IPs i can install VMware ESXI and install the OS (Ubuntu need not much MB space) and all stuff, then i can make a veeam backup of that VM to an other server and if an HDD fails i only have to install the ESXI new (about 1 click work) and then recover the VM to it and my system is ready to go

sorry for my english hope you understand what i mean

• sinsin Member

@t0mmy said:

@daily said:

if i have 2 IPs i can install VMware ESXI and install the OS (Ubuntu need not much MB space) and all stuff, then i can make a veeam backup of that VM to an other server and if an HDD fails i only have to install the ESXI new (about 1 click work) and then recover the VM to it and my system is ready to go

sorry for my english hope you understand what i mean

Why don't use just use RAID-1?

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • t0mmyt0mmy Member
    edited August 2016

i need the 4TB space sometimes
    edit: i think HDD performance is lower in raid 1 too... and even with raid 0 its not very good but its ok for that price for sure

• @t0mmy said:
    i need the 4TB space sometimes
    edit: i think HDD performance is lower in raid 1 too... and even with raid 0 its not very good but its ok for that price for sure

Get one more drive, setup raid5 on it, all problems solved.

RAID 1 should give you approx the same speed as raid 0 in terms of read, if the controller is good.

• t0mmyt0mmy Member
    edited August 2016

@TheOnlyDK said:
    RAID 1 should give you approx the same speed as raid 0 in terms of read, if the controller is good.

one more drive is 10$ would change the price from 20 to 30...

it is SW RAID anyway

just thought about useing only the 1 IP with vmware workstation and NAT ports to the VM but i think i cannot make a 4TB virtual disk for 1 VM because of 2 physical disks should work... my thoughts was wrong

• @t0mmy said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

one more drive is 10$ would change the price from 20 to 30...

it is SW RAID anyway

just thought about useing only the 1 IP with vmware workstation and NAT ports to the VM but i think i cannot make a 4TB virtual disk for 1 VM because of 2 physical disks should work... my thoughts was wrong

Well, cheap and reliable can't go together. Gotta choose one or the other.

• Unless I'm missing something your solution wouldn't work as you'd plan to install vm on the server that you currently using so either one or the other drive failed you'd still lose the vm. I'd look at offsite backups or as the others have said raid 1 or 5.

• a $10 yearly dacentec vps comes to mind to provide a second IP via a tunnel or something like that?

• t0mmy said: if i have 2 IPs i can install VMware ESXI and install the OS (Ubuntu need not much MB space) and all stuff, then i can make a veeam backup of that VM to an other server and if an HDD fails i only have to install the ESXI new (about 1 click work) and then recover the VM to it and my system is ready to go

You can install proxmox from their panel, or install proxmox over debian or install virtualbox over any linux OS. Then, create the vm you want and make the backup you also want. You certainly do not need a second ip.
    As of the HD, in a so budget provider, most of the drives are quite old or used. I have services with dacentec among other budget providers, and the first thing I do is a full test with smartmontools. If I see issues to a drive, I open a ticket and I ask for replacement. And I always keep backups.

• I would definitely leave. Give the server to somebody who appreciates a server with 2TB of disk space on a 1gb connection for $20 per month. $3.00 for an IP, that's ridiculous. That's like a supermarket charging for food. Why should they, the store is full of food, it should be free.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited August 2016

@DrFallen said:
    Unless I'm missing something your solution wouldn't work as you'd plan to install vm on the server that you currently using so either one or the other drive failed you'd still lose the vm. I'd look at offsite backups or as the others have said raid 1 or 5.

Yeh but a VM is a lot less hassle to backup/restore, esp if it's to the same machine (or within the same vlan/whatever so you can re-use the Ips.etc) just upload the dump and click a couple buttons.

All you really need is a script/config that takes a backup regularly and sends it elsewhere and you are good to recover from both drives failing.

• @Nekki said:
    @t0mmy You're a cunt mate, pure and simple. You've just come here to try and bully Dacentec. I hope they cancel your server, then mail you a box of faeces created after a Taco Bell binge.

This post is wonderful!

• HxxxHxxx Member

Crying for 3 dollars. You are in the right place son, welcome again.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Gamer said:
    @Nekki, @theroyalstudent

GROW UP KIDS!

Why don't you grow up? Your statement is just as useless as the OP asking for a free IP.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Nekki said:

That was actually fun :p

• just a final update:
    i setup esxi with ipv6 and use the ipv4 for my VM and have a backup of that VM on an other server.
    thanks for the idea with ipv6

ill stay at dacentec for sure... very nice price