Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please advise: Seedbox with Shadowsocks for China user?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please advise: Seedbox with Shadowsocks for China user?

HadronHadron Member

I'll be living in Guangzhou for a few more years, and recently VPN.AC & VyperVPN have really slowed down for me, so I guess its time to use a VPS. I've endured years of crap internet thanks to the GFW, so I'm really hoping you can critique the VPS research I've done below on what I need, or better yet, give specific providers/setups that have worked for similar usage scenarios:

1. YouTube/Google/General Surfing: I'll mainly be connecting from my PC and iPhone, so I've read that ShadowSocks will be the best protocol for fast uninterrupted surfing, and works for both my devices.

2. Torrents: I usually torrent about 100GB a month on public trackers (though I'm considering private trackers if that's possible), so I need a Seedbox.

3. A random Chinese website recommends Seed.st and Put.io, as they're seedboxes that offer ShadowSocks as well.

Does this sound right to you, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Oh, one more thing, I should apparently pick a provider in Japan, Korea or the US West Coast for the fastest connection?

• fs8908336fs8908336 Member
    edited August 2016

believe me,hk is best.
    but if you use 电信网,you will die
    操他妈的电信 fucking networking and gfw!

if you need help ,send message to me

Thanked by 1Hadron
  • If you are in Guangzhou, the best bet would be HK, but the bandwidth will be rather low so torrenting might be an issue. However you can get two boxes, one for VPN another for torrent (directly, not via VPN) then download via https and you should be fine.

I believe it was @gigavest who has direct China route from Singapore, that's another option for VPN. For the torrent one, just find one in US West to reduce cost while having the best possible route to China. Use Xunlei or similar to download with multiple connections and you'd be fine.

Thanked by 3Hadron gigavest netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Wasnt the issue, when you get high bandwith Rates, the firewall throttles you anyway?

Thanked by 2Hadron netomx
  • Unfortunately for daily browsing, especially youtube videos, it likely will pretty well such no matter which provider/location you choose (Within reason ofc).

As for a seedbox, if you are willing to download overnight or while you are at work you might as well find the cheapest dedi provider and go with them (ovh, online.net, etc.). Just know your download will suck, but if you can start your transfers and then head onto something else it will likely be viable.

I have used a lot of "shared" seedbox providers and they all sucked. Always issues downloading, torrents not working, ftp/ssh not working, etc. - was a real headache, got a dedi, private trackers and never looked back.

As for a daily VPN, maybe consider BudgetVM VPS (their china routing is meh, but better than most) or find a VPS provider using Quadranet with an asia optimized IP.

Thanked by 2Hadron lifehome
  • What ISP are you using?

Thanked by 1Hadron
  • @halczy: China Telecom. I locked in a great rate for the 100Mb line years ago, only RMB 1K I think.

@leckley: For the dedi seedboxes, are you using only private trackers? I use almost 100% public trackers, which I heard could be an issue. And could you share your average torrent speeds from SeedBox to PC? Right now, I'm ecstatic if a single torrent on my PC hits 1+MB/s. 100 ~ 200KB/s seems to be the norm, with or without VPN.ac. Strangely, VPN often slows the download.

• leckleyleckley Member
    edited August 2016

@leckley: For the dedi seedboxes, are you using only private trackers? I use almost 100% public trackers, which I heard could be an issue. And could you share your average torrent speeds from SeedBox to PC? Right now, I'm ecstatic if a single torrent on my PC hits 1+MB/s. 100 ~ 200KB/s seems to be the norm, with or without VPN.ac. Strangely, VPN often slows the download.

Yes, I only use private trackers and you should really begin using one too. There was another thread for IPT here, invite only, you may be able to score an invite if you ask nicely. /hint hint

I am on the east coast of the US, I download from my seedbox with Online.net at ~180Mbit/s (my max) during off peak hours, during peak hours its closer to 20-50mbit/s (This to be expected when you pay less than $10 month for a dedicated server with 1Gbit port and unmetered bandwidth).

Downloads speeds from France to China will probably be horrific, but you can always get all the torrents onto your seedbox (Online.net is plenty fast, most times I get a torrent for a TV show completely downloaded to my seedbox in under 2 minutes) and then queue them all up in FileZilla before you got to bed/work. It will download slow, but they should complete by the time you are ready the next day.

As a special gift for you..

Online.net (France) - http://is03.ezphotoshare.com/test100.zip

Online.net (Amsterdam) - http://is04.ezphotoshare.com/test100.zip

If you use a good script to setup your seedbox, you will download FTP over SSL, no need to throw a VPN on top as it will add encryption which does nothing to help your speeds.

Script - https://github.com/arakasi72/rtinst

For your VPN needs, I think I would try to find a VPS that is hosted within Quadranet and get an Asia optimized IP address. That way you will have the best chance to surf youtube without wanting to kill yourself.

Good luck

Thanked by 1Hadron
  • thatixthatix Member
    edited August 2016

Why will you need a seedbox if you are in China? Just pay a little to become a premium member of Thunder and there you go.
    Blazing fast torrenting without any issue even if it is public

Thanked by 1Hadron
  • Try AliCloud in Hong Kong or Singapore. You can get almost 100 Mbps even during evening peak hours to China Telecom. I heard they don't care about torrenting. It is forbidden in their ToS though.

Thanked by 1Hadron
  • @leckley said:

If you use a good script to setup your seedbox, you will download FTP over SSL, no need to throw a VPN on top as it will add encryption which does nothing to help your speeds.

or just use SCP/SFTP rather than the FTPS you suggested, more efficient, more secure

• @mycosys said:
    or just use SCP/SFTP rather than the FTPS you suggested, more efficient, more secure

In my experience it SFTP would always be slower, usually by a lot, not to mention the CPU resources needed on the server side to serve it up at any real speed.

• @thatix said:
    Why will you need a seedbox if you are in China? Just pay a little to become a premium member of Thunder and there you go.

Thanks, I'll look into this after I've set up my basic VPN.

• @leckley said:
    As a special gift for you..

Thanks! Strangely, both files download at ~200KB/s, but if I turn on my VPN, it goes to about 1 - 1.2MB/s. I wonder what China has got against Online.net.

Also, I just got a Gigaserve account today, since they're cheap and boast a direct connection to China. But setting up ShadowSocks has been a real pain. Linux certainly takes some getting used to, and even after I've followed tutorials faithfully without any error messages, the client still cannot connect to the servers. Anyway, I'll keep trying and hope to post some good results back here soon. Hopefully save some other people the hassle.

• You can try to buy a vps from Hong Kong

• @Hadron said:

@thatix said:

Thanks, I'll look into this after I've set up my basic VPN.

However, it's not real torrenting(you will not help contribute that torrent if you use Thunder), they just fetch the files for you from their caching server, but the speed is amazing.
    The price compare to a seedbox is so affordable, <2$/mo.

• @leckley said:

@mycosys said:

In my experience it SFTP would always be slower, usually by a lot, not to mention the CPU resources needed on the server side to serve it up at any real speed.

try this :) http://www.psc.edu/index.php/hpn-ssh

• Will take a look, thanks!

• Believe me.i am Chinese.Aliyun HongKong is the best choice.just $8 per month with 2T bandwith...30Mbps CN2 can fully use..I can watch youtube 4k videos..

If you want to test shadowsocks.I can provide for you.just add my skype:lwjcs2015.