Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dream customer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dream customer

edited December 2011 in General

Who would be your dream customer and why? (Provider or not)

Comments

• I would be my dream customer because i usually buy VPSses, strip them down to 15mb RAM usage and then forget about them and only use them occasionally as SSH proxies.

• People who read terms of service, read announcements page prior to submitting a ticket, and looks up the meaning of unmanaged. Lol

• edited December 2011

double post :(

• Come on... I was thinking more like 'famous person X'.

• @net said: Come on... I was thinking more like 'famous person X'.

Oh then probably some hot moviestar who uses the server to store her nude photos...
    Or a president who uses it to control nuclear missiles :D

• Me :)

• @daimonb

Took the words right out of my mouth :)

• jhjh Member

I have to agree with Daimon as well, much better than a celebrity.

• @daimonb said: looks up the meaning of unmanaged

Easier said than done, especially for newcomers to the VPS world.

The level of support provided by "unmanaged" hosts varies greatly. Some hosts will put real effort into helping an unmanaged client, other will simply say piss off (or words to that effect).

It would help if hosts would clearly define their meaning of "unmanaged" and put it up-front on the website -- in addition to having it in the TOS fine print.

And don't try to spin "unmanaged" into something positive by using phrases like "You're in charge!" or "You have complete control!" when you actually mean "You have to administer the server yourself without our help."

Thanked by 2japon roroqiu
  • jhjh Member

I like what OVH does on their website:
    Self-managed*

*managed by you!

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @jtodd said: I like what OVH does on their website:

Self-managed*

*managed by you!

The exclamation point at the end is an attempt to add the wow! factor, again trying to spin unmanaged into something good.

• @jtodd said: Self-managed*

*screwed up by you!

Fixed. :)

• @net said: Come on... I was thinking more like 'famous person X'.

We have a few big names from both the business and 'net world. What I really enjoy is that none of them tried to "Hey, I'm so-and-so from X, what kind of deal can you make me". All very normal, calm folks that have been a pleasure to deal with.

• My dream customers are mostly other providers, they may write a ticket of can you do X for me, which is fine, but then you never hear from them, just see notices of payment. I say other providers as it sticks out to me they know what they want, buy the right plan to do it, and then go about what they wanted. The majority of clients actually fall into that category.

• I am like a dream... XD

Do u love my spam?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: Do u love my spam?

[sarcasm]Absolutely love it![/sarcasm]

• @aldryic yeah I saw the Bradley manning snitch is a customer of citynethost! I personally use to sysadmin/manage a quite famous uk bands website.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@net said: quite famous uk bands website.

Tell me.. :P

• @Infinity said: Tell me.. :P

i wish my sites ran on a vps :(

@sleddog said: The exclamation point at the end is an attempt to add the wow! factor, again trying to spin unmanaged into something good.

If anything I'd probably say ovh doesn't have the best grasp of English and it probably ins't wow factor

• Justin Bieber.

• @Kairus said: Justin Bieber.

Oh gawd...

• @ztec said: Oh gawd...

Who?

• @sleddog said: Easier said than done, especially for newcomers to the VPS world.

The level of support provided by "unmanaged" hosts varies greatly. Some hosts will put real effort into helping an unmanaged client, other will simply say piss off (or words to that effect).

It would help if hosts would clearly define their meaning of "unmanaged" and put it up-front on the website -- in addition to having it in the TOS fine print.

This is what I want to say.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • @roroqiu said: It would help if hosts would clearly define their meaning of "unmanaged" and put it up-front on the website -- in addition to having it in the TOS fine print.

I saw a sig at WHT that make this crystal clear to all, there are no unmanaged services, only self-managed or host-managed.

So when hosts are saying unmanaged, they really mean self-managed. If you can't manage it by yourself, you should probably shop for host-managed service. (you is the proverbial you, not personal.)

• @miTgiB said: o when hosts are saying unmanaged, they really mean self-managed. If you can't manage it by yourself, you should probably shop for host-managed service. (you is the proverbial you, not personal.)

Then how about answering some questions if I encounter a problem that I couldn't get answers from google? If I open a ticket asking that kind of questions, does it mean "host-managed"?

• @roroqiu said: Then how about answering some questions if I encounter a problem that I couldn't get answers from google? If I open a ticket asking that kind of questions, does it mean "host-managed"?

Yes if you ask e.g. how to optimize nginx or use a wordpress template, the host should only help you if its "host-managed"

• Britney Spears borrows my box and usually ends up being broken having to reinstall all the time. its the REAL reason why she shaved her head. all that stress.

She still contacts me about the box. Yep.

• @miTgiB said: So when hosts are saying unmanaged, they really mean self-managed. If you can't manage it by yourself, you should probably shop for host-managed service. (you is the proverbial you, not personal.)

So how far would you define self-managed? Comparable to a house where the room is the VPS and the house itself is the node? So I decide which interior (room: table etc, VPS: services) I want but the node (room: no shabby substance, VPS: no overselling that harms my VPS) and the routing (room: energy and door-access) is up to the provider.

• Those one who pay you and don't want you to do anything, obviously.

• @japon said: So how far would you define self-managed?

I personally define self-managed as expect the host to do support for things you do not have the ability to do, doesn't matter if you have the skills or not, you do not have the ability to fiddle with IP addressing, changes needed on the host node with kernel modules, on OpenVZ nodes. With a KVM VPS, as long as the VPS boots and you have VNC access and the IP routes, you need no support.

People listing this or that app, sorry, no self-managed host needs to offer support, now if they do, they are going the extra mile, but don't expect it every time, maybe they were bored or had some extra time and helped you out.