Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner introducing DDoS mitigation for all customers and services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner introducing DDoS mitigation for all customers and services

AmitzAmitz Member
edited August 2016 in Providers

As posted here in the Hetzner forums (german and registration only):
https://forum.hetzner.de/thread/23562-ddos-mitigation/?postID=239250#post239250

Hallo Zusammen,

Wir haben ueber die letzten Monate verschiedene Systeme zur Abwehr von DDOS-Angriffen getestet und inzwischen auch ein System implementiert. Dieses besteht im wesentlichen aus 3 Ebenen ueber welche wir in der Lage sind Angriffstraffic von validen Traffic zu trennen.

1. Automatische Erkennung von Angriffsmustern

Neben der bisherigen Erkennung basierend auf der Trafficmenge und Paketmenge sind wir nun in der Lage den eigentlichen Angriff genauer einzugrenzen. Dadurch koennen wir genauer auf den verwendeten Angriffstyp eingehen. Ein UDP-Flood mit 500k pps ist fuer Server kein Problem. 500k SYN Pakete koennen aber schon ein Problem darstellen. Genau diese Unterscheidung ist jetzt moeglich.

2. Filtern des Traffics nach bekannten Angriffsmustern.

Auf dieser Ebene werden die haeufig verwendeten Angriffe gefiltert. Somit koennen wir Angriffe sehr effizient herausfiltern. Dies betrifft besonders die haeufig auftretenden Angriffe wie DNS-Reflection oder UDP Floods auf Port80

3. Challenge-Response-Authentifizierung und Dynamische Trafficfilterung

Hierbei werden Angriffe wie SYN-Floods, DNS-Floods und Invalid Packets gefiltert. Auch koennen wir an dieser Stelle sehr flexibel auf einzelne Angriffe reagieren.

Insgesamt ist es natuerlich notwendig das wir Default-Werte definieren welche fuer alle Kunden funktionieren. Daher sind unsere aktuellen Filter sehr zurueckhaltend konfiguriert. Wir schauen uns aber alle Angriffe an und versuchen unsere Filter und Responses zu verbessern.

Sollte jemand Ziel eines Angriffes werden welchen wir nicht erkennen oder unzureichend filtern koennt ihr euch gern melden. Wir werden das dann untersuchen und schauen wie wir auf diesen Angriff reagieren koennen.

Ich hoffe das in Zukunft keine Server mehr wegen eingehender Angriffe gesperrt werden muessen.

Gruss
Martin

---
Martin Fritzsche
Netzwerksupport

Would love to read more about the details. Hopefully, there will be a more elaborate (and english) announcement on their site soon...

Comments

• Gruss is now my new favorite word.

That's gruss!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2016

34EUR, 2x3TB, 8.3k CPU Bench, 16gig, 20TB + AntiDDOS

Deal?

• I wonder if that applies to the auction servers too.

• Yes, it's network-wide.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

500k pps seems low. Still something.

• @AlexBarakov said:
    500k pps seems low. Still something.

They are not talking about actual limits. Those 500k pps are just used for an illustration.

• WHTWHT Member

500pps means 5gbps? Or 50gbps?

• @WHT said:

pps = packets per second

it's a different measure.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2016

You cannot put 500pps equal to 50Gbps

Since you could Attack a Target with lets say 50k pps with small Packages and still Flood the Services or go with 5k pps and bigger Packages.

• No talk about how much their filtering can handle, so I guess it will be webtropia level which means no protection at all.

• @theroyalstudent said:

@WHT said:

pps = packets per second

that profile photo

• @doghouch said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@WHT said:

pps = packets per second

that profile photo

topkek

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

Nice, I wonder how well it'll work compared to other companies network wide mitigation. I've always loved Hetzners hardware offerings but the fact that they had no native protection was always a turn off.

• This could be a game changer.

• "we don't offer DDoS protection and don't want to host DDoS magnets anyway"

everyone leaves

"just kidding there you have it"

• To much people were asking for it especially big customers.

Now its "something". I dont think that people will have fun with them if they think "they have it so I can use it."

I guess they will terminate the service anyway.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2016

They now also have a Wiki entry for their DDoS protection:
    https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/DDoS_Protection
    which is mostly a translation of their forum post without new or further information.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • They will announce it soon with further news :P

• Heyya - do you know how much I can expect from them? (Ddos protection)

• They don't tell exactly, so we don't know unfortunately...

• According to this thread on WHT they have at least not null-routed anyone since they introduced the DDOS protection

• by my chatting with them in mail, they told me they never null route any server since lunch ddos protection, and day by day and increase they capacity and improve their rules for better migrate

• rivermiguerivermigue Member
    edited October 2016

For those asking what is the capacity they offer, I have asked them what would be the max capacity in terms of gbps/pps:

Dear Client,

>

Unfortunately we can not publish such information due to security reasons.

>

Thank you for the understanding.

>

Kind regards

>

Artur Termer

>

Hetzner Online GmbH
    08223 Falkenstein / Germany
    Tel: +49 3745 744 47 100
    Fax: +49 3745 744 47 1050
    www.hetzner.de

>

Registergericht Ansbach, HRB 6089
    Geschäftsführer: Martin Hetzner

• I guess it just works, so I this case I would hold it like this: A gentleman never tells.
    They never failed on me to this date and you can trust the German engineering I think! :D
    Well, and let's forget about the Volkswagen affair for a moment.

• Great. What would you choose now, HTZ or OVH? Which connectivity is better?

• So, hetzner made two improvements
    Add DDoS mitigation
    And increase their network capacity for each server from 100mbps speeds or 250mbps to 1GBPS.
    Anyway, they both seem really good to me.

• JustRefleXJustRefleX Member
    edited October 2016

I'd be happy if they'd at least say, if they can hold at least 20 GBps - 50 GBps is something I'd much rather prefer all though having something like the Voxility Protection like at SYS/OVH would be perfect. Do you guys think it's compareable to the Voxility Protection?

• AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

Ya a decent ddos protection they have decent hardware and support, only need to do one time setup fee payment for the ips like ovh and 50% of ovh customers will switch to hetzner :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Seems security-through-obscurity is in fashion again.

I mean, they can either give the customers an assurance about what attacks they'll be able to deal with, or let the script kiddies do it for them. I don't know why they believe that not disclosing the capacity is somehow going to make things more "secure".

• @joepie91 said:
    Seems security-through-obscurity is in fashion again.

I mean, they can either give the customers an assurance about what attacks they'll be able to deal with, or let the script kiddies do it for them. I don't know why they believe that not disclosing the capacity is somehow going to make things more "secure".

Yeah, it's quite weird. I just want a rough estimate by you guys or a minimal amount of protection I can expect from Hetzner - Saying nothing at all is just confusing. If they can't give me a proper answer or this forum can't I may have to use SYS.