Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stupid Newbie Question: Provider Offers KVM with SolusVM Cannot Get 2nd Network Adapter
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stupid Newbie Question: Provider Offers KVM with SolusVM Cannot Get 2nd Network Adapter

alhalh Member
edited August 2016 in Help

I have been talking to my VPS provider, but I have never had this issue and wanted to know if I am missing something obvious before I embarass myself.

I asked the VPS provider to upload Fedora 24 Server ISO and I installed it. It is running fine, but after this OS reinstall I cannot find the 2nd network adapter with the second IP address I requested custom.

$] sudo ip addr show

>

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1

>

link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00

>

inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo

>

valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

>

inet6 ::1/128 scope host 

>

>

2: ens3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UP group default qlen 1000

>

link/ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

>

inet AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD/24 brd AAA.BBB.CCC.EEE scope global dynamic ens3

>

valid_lft 21371939sec preferred_lft 21371939sec

>

inet6 fe80::AAAA:BBBB:CCCC:DDDD/64 scope link 

>

So not matter what I try, I do not see the second adapter. Per the helpdesk, I ran Reconfigure Network from the SolusVM web interface. I check the log after it shuts down and does its magic, but no joy.

Now, stupid question, do I need to change the password to the one they think it is in for the SolusVM panel even if it is clearly running offline ops on the VM? I am sorry for so much dumb, but I have never asked for a second adapter with a KVM VM on Solus.

I did see it when I first installed their template/ISO of Debian. Perhaps there is something implementation specific to their ISOs I missed? I doubt I had the same root password they provided at first either.

Comments

• you need to setup network interface for your 2nd IP in /etc/network/interfaces (Debian) and restart network or reboot
    for the rest I have no idea wot you're going on about :)

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited August 2016

You just need to alias the ip to the eth0 adapter. so to do this in Fedora

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

find

GATEWAY=

then add the alias

nano -w /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0

enter

DEVICE=eth0:0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    ONBOOT=yes
    IPADDR= [enteryour second ip address]
    GATEWAY=[enter gateway ip from above]

restart network

network restart

EDIT: link in case I am confusing you with above: thelinuxfaq.com/352-how-to-add-multiple-ip-addresses-on-centos-rhel-fedora

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Aha, I came across this similar issue just recently.

Basically recent versions of Fedora use ensX instead of the usual ethX. Check your dmesg to be sure.

I guess Solus 'auto-configuration' network script assume eth0 as default interface, so it won't do shit with latest Fedora.

• SadySady Member

You'll have to configure network interface yourself. SolusVM won't configure it if you didn't use a readymade template & did installation from an ISO.