Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there demand for Storage VMs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there demand for Storage VMs?

WillWill Member
edited March 2013 in General

Just wanted to see how many people would be interested in a storage VPS. It would be somewhere around $30/TB with 1GB of RAM.

Comments

• Yes, there is demand.

The plan is the same price and spec as BuyVM's. Their offerings continue to be out of stock. Meaning, you can sell at your rate.

• @pubcrawler. Welcome back. You missed lots of fun.

• Thanks @concerto49. I could have been back a while ago. Was unbanned 10 days ago :)

But it's more fun be a lurker, block the ads and not contribute to the dictator at the helm.

Got some work done and some new reading in. Probably be sporadic contributor here onward. Spring is coming and that's a busy time of year for me.

• @Will said: It would be somewhere around $30/TB with 1GB of RAM.

Prepare yourself for the onslaught of "OMFG OVH IS CHEAPER!!!!!".

• Yes there is demand, depends on lots of things

• @Damian said: Prepare yourself for the onslaught of "OMFG OVH IS CHEAPER!!!!!".

No they're not, €30 for 1TB softraid 1

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: No they're not, €30 for 1TB softraid 1

Irrelevant! OVH is cheaper!

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: No they're not, €30 for 1TB softraid 1

Without RAID it's cheaper, usually doesn't matter since it's back up....

• @Patrick said: Kimsufi = OVH = Cheaper then the OP

If you talk about lowest price, then yes, if you want the same amount of disk space as the OP offers than you will have to pay €30 but get 8GB and an i3

• @BronzeByte said: If you talk about lowest price, then yes, if you want the same amount of disk space as the OP offers than you will have to pay €30 but get 8GB and an i3

You can pick up at Atom / 2GB RAM / 1TB for 14.99EUR, depends sort of RAID OP has

• @Patrick said: You can pick up at Atom / 2GB RAM / 1TB for 14.99EUR, depends sort of RAID OP has

He said storage, not backup, so assume RAID 10...

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

As @BronzeByte said, storage is the key word here. I'd prefer pay $10 more for a decent network, and decent HW array than buy something from OVH.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Yes, I would say there is a demand

• @RobertClarke said: decent network

OVH has more than just a decent network...

• WillWill Member

Thanks for the input guys. We're looking at a 5750 with 72GB of ram and x24 3TB HDDs in a hardware raid 60.

• @Will said: Thanks for the input guys. We're looking at a 5750 with 72GB of ram and x24 3TB HDDs in a hardware raid 60.

You said storage, not backup... If I put my precious files on there thinking it's safe with you I could get an email: sorry, disk failed, but hey, the array self healed!

• Fair point about storage vs. backup.

I look at all storage the same. It must have a live-live copy elsewhere on disk and I must have way to quickly switch over to it in case of failure.

24 3TB drives @Will... Big box there. What region is your offer going to be in?

• WillWill Member

@pubcrawler It would be in Phoenix, AZ