Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Router recommendation with easy L2TP or OpenVPN as WAN setup.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Router recommendation with easy L2TP or OpenVPN as WAN setup.

dnwkdnwk Member

Could anyone recommend a router for home use that could easily setup L2TP/IPsec or OpenVPN as WAN?

Comments

• Mikrotik RouterOS has low end routers with L2TP and OpenVPN servers.
    You can find a re-seller in your county here.

• Anything with advancedtomato.com firmware on it

• BasilBasil Member
    edited August 2016

I'd say build a PfSense machine, Configuring VPN clients on it is a doddle and there are plenty of guides around.

• bashlykbashlyk Member
    edited August 2016

+PfSense

Get a dual NIC machine and load PfSense on it.

• ASUS RT-N18U

• How much throughput and what type of interfaces?

• The EdgeRouter Lite is an great router for home and small office usage.

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Makenai said:
    Mikrotik RouterOS has low end routers with L2TP and OpenVPN servers.
    You can find a re-seller in your county here.

VPN client not server

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited August 2016

Is it possible to use raspberry pi + a switch ?

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited August 2016

All the routers on the market can act as openvpn clients. Any traffic that goes from the LAN to the WAN interface will then use the openvpn connection i.e. it'll be encrypted. Is this what you want?

• Get off my lawn you damn kids!

(from a rocking chair on the porch)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Any tplink router with 8mb flash, or 4mb with no UI

• dnwkdnwk Member

@Abdussamad said:
    All the routers on the market can act as openvpn clients. Any traffic that goes from the LAN to the WAN interface will then use the openvpn connection i.e. it'll be encrypted. Is this what you want?

Yes

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited August 2016

@netomx said:
    Any tplink router with 8mb flash, or 4mb with no UI

You can rock PPTP client with luci on 4MB flash out of the box. Build the image yourself and you've got even more space left.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • RamiRami Member

I personally used Linksys E1200 & E900 with dd-wrt firmware and they work great

• Using Asus RT-N16 here. No idea what original firmware even looks like since I installed Tomato Shibby on it right away. Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of the firmware that comes pre-installed with commercial routers - the exception being Mikrotik.

• How much throughput do you need out of your tunnels? mbps

• Mikrotik RB941-2nD-TC about ~ $23

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited August 2016

@Ole_Juul said:
    Using Asus RT-N16 here. No idea what original firmware even looks like since I installed Tomato Shibby on it right away. Frankly, I wouldn't touch any of the firmware that comes pre-installed with commercial routers - the exception being Mikrotik.

The Synology AC-1900 stock firmware is meant to be pretty decent, infact if I was going to buy a SoHO/AIO router it would probably be that.

EDIT: not sure if it has VPN client support mind, it does support being a server.