Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best startup of 2011 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best startup of 2011

2»

Comments

• @jtodd said: Got that information directly from Burst :S

You're saying that BURST is a reliable source of information?

Not doubting you but still....

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: You're saying that BURST is a reliable source of information?

Not doubting you but still....

Okay threw up a little in my mouth there.

• jhjh Member

@drmike said: You're saying that BURST is a reliable source of information?

Where's the evidence to say otherwise?

• @jtodd said: Where's the evidence to say otherwise?

On the main site and all of their comments? I mean I know I was joking with those "If something goes wrong, it's the customer's fault" comments but that's pretty much how they operate. They refuse to take the blame for anything.

Server gets erased by a tech? Customers' fault.

Support Ticket gets closed without a response? Customers' fault.

Bad customer support? Customers' fault because they don't understand how we roll um operate.

Also my dealing with them when (silly me) I asked them for a quote for a rack a while back. Couldn't even get a figure out of them.

As I note, I doubt they're incorrect (and really have no opinion on this discussion.) but anything coming out of their camp, I wouldn't hold it as gospel.

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2011

I've got nothing but good things to say about them, so it really surprises me that so many people seem to take issue with them. I try and read all of the WHT complaints about their services and generally they're either misunderstandings or incidents where customers make assumptions about the level of service they can expect rather than actually reading the documentation.

To give one example of one of my typical experience with them, over the weekend there was a router failure - I called my Burst contact in the UK (who was kind enough to give me his mobile number) and he got another 2 members of staff on it straight away and had it fixed quickly. This is the kind of service I'd expect from a company charging quite a bit more than they do.

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited December 2011

Well I'm glad they work out for you, @jtodd.

edit: By the way, that's without any sarcasm. I realize that some providers work for some and not others. I am glad that you're happy with them. They're not for me and I doubt I would trust them in any way.

• JoelJoel Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: They refuse to take the blame for anything.

+1

I lost a fair bit with them quite a few years ago when I leased a dedicated server. Network issues and multiple HDD failures in the first month, they wouldn't even credit the first 2+ weeks of the server being offline to my account and refused to take responsibility just stating that "hdd failures can happen." Nice attitude, give a customer a broken server from day 1 and not even acknowledge a failure on your part, just blame either the customer or the hardware or the network.

Burst is the sort of company that if you want headaches you sign up to them.

• We re-sold windows VPS for all of 4 days. There support was slow and pretty much useless.

Somewhere along the lines of..

15:00 - Ticket to burst, 2 of the servers are down.. Sends ping/traceroute
    17:00 - Burst reply, hey everything looks fine from this end let us know if you have any other issues.

Well of course its ok now i sent the ticket 2 hours ago, how about an explanation.

The day after - We had an abuser on the node.

This happened 2 or 3 times in the 4 days we were with them. In fact burst inspired us to launch the KVM line, just so we could get those poor clients off of there Windows servers.

• Best startup of 2011? CorgiTech. Second to none.

Let's see how well they will do in the long run.

• Server gets erased by a tech? Customers' fault.

Personally I'd blame @drmike but then again that is just me.

• @daimonb said: @francisco saying that you feel this is only company not a scam is a bit harsh. Based on that assumption you are saying I dmbhosting, quality servers, vmport just to name a few are all scammers we all have offers under 23 dollars.????

Registrant's address:
        The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
        address omitted from the WHOIS service.

SCAM, THIS COMPANY NO LONGER TRADING??

• jhjh Member

It's probably just dodgy WhoIs information, which although illegal, doesn't necessarily mean they're out of business.

• @justinb, just means they registered it as an individual, not under a corporation, LLC or DBA. As you said jtodd, it's definitely dodgy.

• @qenox said: @justinb, just means they registered it as an individual, not under a corporation, LLC or DBA. As you said jtodd, it's definitely dodgy.

It was kind of a sarcastic joke post since they're whining about being legitimate yet whatever else happens

Individuals can choose to not hide it too, iirc

• @justinb Sorry, my sarcasm meter is off :) ... yeah I think you are right.