Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to setup a multi-user storage VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to setup a multi-user storage VPS?

FreekFreek Member
edited March 2013 in Help

I have a storage VPS. Currently I'm the only user, but recently 2 of my friends asked me if they could upload files as well.
I was wondering what's the best way to setup this. Think in terms of quota and user management.
Is webmin suitable for this job?
Owncloud looks nice as well, but does it support ftp upload?

Comments

• shells

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

OwnCloud :) FTP is not supported but web interface is nice.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

If you've only got a few friends, you could just set up their FTP details manually.

• @Freek said: I have a storage VPS. Currently I'm the only user, but recently 2 of my friends asked me if they could upload files as well.

"Friends" <-- what is that? :s

• FTP. You don't need a nice looking interface to do real backups.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@user123 said: "Friends" <-- what is that? :s

I think it's a Facebook marketing term.

• wroxwrox Member

@Freek said: Owncloud looks nice as well, but does it support ftp upload?

No, but it supports WebDAV. Works great (esp. with the ownCloud client).

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

People who are nice to you in order to be able to benefit from you :D

• You can split the VPS in more VPSes.

• edited March 2013

What I did was create user accounts for friends, use quota, and give them FTP login access (vsftpd). Also, the users can use rsync and rsnapshot if they'd like from the ssh shell if they want. My standard daily crontab entry (as root) alerts me to diskspace and quota usage. All on OpenVZ.

Easy!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

If it is OVZ your options are a bit limited, but if you have at least a Xen you can setup iSCSI targets for everyone. Or NFS for that matter, even CIFS shares...
    My personal favourite is iSCSI with diskcryptor containers i mount remotely. For 7-8 MB/s I can treat it like a local drive.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

What @rajprakash said. No need to overcomplicate things.

• IvanIvan Member

Hmm, I'm pretty sure an admin control panel could be able to setup an FTP account and you can insert the quota(s) for downloading and uploading. Not too sure about Webmin though. I'd check and see to confirm here but after this reply I'm going off.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

EHCP can do this, set quota and speed.
    But FTP is so 70's...

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

+1 for owncloud. Set it up today in about 5 minutes and synced all my photos and music to it. Works really well :D

• I just do simple smb since my friends don't really know any better and you can just map the drives for them.

• @Maounique said: My personal favourite is iSCSI with diskcryptor containers i mount remotely. For 7-8 MB/s I can treat it like a local drive.

Not everybody lives nextdoor to a DC with 100MBps u/d fiber :P I'm happy if I get 2MBps down/256KBps u, that's full speed ahead. Backups here are done to a local machine, and that puts them on "storage" servers so the rest doesn't have to be on all the time...

• FreekFreek Member

Thanks for the replies :)

@TheHackBox said: shells

@rds100 said: You can split the VPS in more VPSes.

I probably should have noted that my friends are not geeky enough to use shells. If it doesn't haven a GUI, it's 'broken' according to them. I beg to differ, but still. They are my 'friends' ;)

People that are nice to me and teach me social conventions ;)

@DestroyeRCo said: You don't need a nice looking interface to do real backups.

Not for backups, for file storage & distribution over HTTP.

@shovenose said: OwnCloud :) FTP is not supported but web interface is nice.

Looks very nice. I'm sure I can add FTP support by installing my own FTP sever manually/separately. I've just found myself a new project, sigh.

@Maounique said: My personal favourite is iSCSI with diskcryptor containers i mount remotely. For 7-8 MB/s I can treat it like a local drive.

Don't make me jealous now!

In the end I went with the basic FTP approach. I still have a question regarding setting up a Reverse FTP Proxy (Reverse HTTP Proxy works) but since that's a bit offtopic, I'll open a new one.

Thanks once again

• tommytommy Member
    edited March 2013

use samba, but not too user friendly

• he already found the solution :) a bit too late
  • How much RAM do I need for owncloud? Just 5 user, usually no 2 are concurrent.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jcaleb said: How much RAM do I need for owncloud? Just 5 user, usually no 2 are concurrent.

Depends which webserver and DB you use. I have a relatively small setup running on Apache/SQLite with RAM usage generally below 50MB, occasionally bursting up to around 100MB, but I guess you could shave a fair bit off that with Nginx.

• @Nekki said: Depends which webserver and DB you use. I have a relatively small setup running on Apache/SQLite with RAM usage generally below 50MB, occasionally bursting up to around 100MB, but I guess you could shave a fair bit off that with Nginx.

Thank you, I'm planning to get 256mb, seems sufficient for that based on your reply.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jcaleb said: Thank you, I'm planning to get 256mb, seems sufficient for that based on your reply.

Np, both of my installs run fine on 256 boxes so I think you're pretty safe there.