Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High-end server, low-end price?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High-end server, low-end price?

I know, I want it all.

But I've migrated from VPS to 16-core (quickpacket 2xL5520) to 24-core (quad-ix 2xX5650) and it's not enough horsepower. Both solid providers so far for anyone interested.

Am I going to have to split the workload, or is there a bigger box around at a price that isn't going to break the bank?

It's number-crunching I'm after, so I'm actually only using about 4GB of ram and 4GB data (would prefer SSD.)

Cheers.

Comments

• I would suggest you go to ovh or soyoustart some cheap fast servers for 69 euro at ovh.ie

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

An L5520 and X5650 are not really high end. Those are old generation CPU's. Although they have quite some cores, the actual performance is much lower compared to recent CPU's.
    A modern quad core Xeon E3 (like the v3 or v5) is faster than 2 Xeon L5520 CPU's, and consumes a lot less power too.

If you need a ton of CPU power, try to find a box running Dual Xeon E5 (v2/v3) CPUs. Might be a bit more expensive compared to 5+ year old servers, but well worth the extra dollars since you're after CPU performance.

• Can you describe what you project is? Is it website? If so - pm me, i can offer high-performance solutions at a fair price.

• pkhpkh Member
    edited August 2016

Thanks, this is why I ended up with the servers I have, the price really hikes...

CPUBoss (not sure how accurate this is, but can it be that far off) gives the

Xeon X5650 6.3

Xeon E5-2620 v3 6.3

Xeon E5-2699 v3 8.2

But the dual 2620's around are going for 5-6 times the price I'm paying for the older box.

Even for the 2699's, that's about a 25% increases in performance, and the price seem to go up again by x4 again.

Unless I've missed something, I'm probably better off with multiple of these older machines.

• pkhpkh Member

Profforg: No, I load up a binary and a chunk of data, it chews on it for about 5 minutes, and pushes the result. Rinse, repeat.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

Maybe OVH/Hetzner with E5-1650v2/3 or i7 but quadix prices are pretty good and works out cheaper maybe even with multiple servers.

• RapidDediRapidDedi Member, Patron Provider

I can do an E3-1230V3, let me know your budget, RAM required, and space.

• Had a quack browse - balticservers appear to have some appealing options with some pretty hefty GPUs you could use to accelerate stream computing, particularly if single precision is sufficient (they have radeon and GeForce options inc GTX1080). Is GPGPU computing an option for you?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited August 2016

If it had been two months ago, you could have snatched one of the ridiculously priced Dual Xeon E5-2670 from WSI - now I see they are all sold out except for the two most expensive setups: https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=278 - still good value if you need the RAM/SSDs

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Its more work for you, but if you could perhaps split the task into multiple parts and spread them across a bunch of Scaleway nodes or pay per hour vm's

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep

If you can split the load on multiple of the older xeon servers you are most likely better doing that, these are found for pretty cheap deals. You can get more overall performance from this than 10-30% gains on CPU upgrades.

• everything has its value. When you expecting something with high value, you have to pay more. You cant find a ferrari at toyota price.

• rkanrkan Member

Cheapest established are probably Online.net,Soyoustart,Hertzner in order from cheapest to dearest.

Online.net has Xeon D-1531 and 32GB RAM for 37€/month inc taxes. Also some good E3 options.

• @admsam said:
    everything has its value. When you expecting something with high value, you have to pay more. You cant find a ferrari at toyota price.

Depends. If you're a Kardashian, you get in cheaper than that :p

• @deadbeef said:

@admsam said:
    everything has its value. When you expecting something with high value, you have to pay more. You cant find a ferrari at toyota price.

Depends. If you're a Kardashian, you get in cheaper than that :p

haha, good then :P

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @ssdblaze may have something goes little over the price but you might have a peek.

Thanked by 1SSDBlaze
  • pkhpkh Member
    edited August 2016

Cheers for the advice, following up on all the links and suggestions (and direct mails.)

I'm already distributing the work, so in the end the metric I really care about is:

cores / $$$

(I think I'm really saying threads... parallel execution streams anyway.)

(I was under the impression that the different cpu's would have substantially different per-core performance -- but it appears to be only about 20-30% over half a decade! The tech seems to have gone almost entirely into efficiency.)

Ram, disk and network are a non-issue -- they'll be using about 8GB of each and be 99% cpu-limited, and a few kb's a minute in traffic. And uptime isn't really that big of an issue either because they'll all be on the end of the same job-queue with fail-over to another core.

There is a bit of 'more cores on a given box == less admin' but in the end that's the metric that matters.

Did the maths and we'll be building up to around a couple dozen in the next few months and a few hundred or more by next year (if everything goes to plan.)

Probably spread out over a number of providers for redundancy.