Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap storage provider without credit card? (s3?)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap storage provider without credit card? (s3?)

jago25_98jago25_98 Member
edited August 2016 in General

Backblaze requires a credit card, Amazon s3 requires a credit card.

While I like cheap backup I don't want to be on the hook if somehow I lose control to a hacker. Or at I want some limited liability.

I hear it's possible to use Amazon S3 without a credit card by using vouchers. Perhaps there's a way to prepay by exchanging for Bitcoin?
I like anything whereby I pay on usage rather than storage itself. I like that if I can't pay for some reason it only means the files can't be accessed rather than lost forever.

I'm aiming to backup my desktops for my family. Having to buy a NAS and set it up somewhere seems like hassle since I won't be around if it goes wrong. I'd have to buy a network aware NAS ($200?) and a drive for it of a size I'm not sure of... or 2 ($?). For that option I'd also probably put the router on a timer in case it needs reseting one day as I can't really ask people to reset it... It seems like hassle.

It would also be useful to backup a cheap shell to the storage.

Is there anything I missed? As I say, I don't like ongoing costs because it's a commitment I have to make sure I can meet; I don't like ongoing indefinite bills, preferring pay as you go.

edit: I don't know how much people will use so I don't know how much I would need to pay for either; another reason I like the sound of s3.
edit: There's also amazon glacier (scratches head...)

Comments

• @jago25_98 said:

While I like cheap backup I don't want to be on the hook if somehow I lose control to a hacker. Or at I want some limited liability.

I hear it's possible to use Amazon S3 without a credit card by using vouchers. Perhaps there's a way to prepay by exchanging for Bitcoin?
    I like anything whereby I pay on usage rather than storage itself. I like that if I can't pay for some reason it only means the files can't be accessed rather than lost forever.

I'm aiming to backup my desktops for my family. Having to buy a NAS and set it up somewhere seems like hassle since I won't be around if it goes wrong. It would also be useful to backup a cheap shell to the storage.

Is there anything I missed? As I say, I don't like ongoing costs because it's a commitment I have to make sure I can meet; I don't like ongoing indefinite bills, preferring pay as you go.

edit: I don't know how much people will use so I don't know how much I would need to pay for either; another reason I like the sound of s3.

I tried setting up something like that by using urbackup https://www.urbackup.org/
    though most if not all providers would not like any "shell" anywhere in their backup storage
    I could set you up something like that on my vps infrastructure though I doubt it is free though as it is going to cost somewhere to someone even if it isn't you so it is likely impossible to find a reputable provider that does this for free(since well do you think the infrastructure pays for itself or something lol?)

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@jago25_98 said:

I'm aiming to backup my desktops for my family. Having to buy a NAS and set it up somewhere seems like hassle since I won't be around if it goes wrong. I'd have to buy a network aware NAS ($200?) and a drive for it of a size I'm not sure of... or 2 ($?). For that option I'd also probably put the router on a timer in case it needs reseting one day as I can't really ask people to reset it... It seems like hassle.

It would also be useful to backup a cheap shell to the storage.

edit: There's also amazon glacier (scratches head...)

Take a look at crash plan, code 42, IF I remember is $ 42.00 per year and no backup limitation and you can share with family.
    If I understood what you are looking for.

• Yeah of course I pay; I just want to pay on use like you do with s3. (in and out)

Looked more into Glacier and it seems this is very cheap and exactly aimed at this area.

OK, drop the shell backup; not essential anyway; just a useful thing since it allows more flexible options as a routing hub. Just backup direct from the desktop

• jago25_98jago25_98 Member
    edited August 2016

Ah. I see the catch. Amazon Glacier isn't available on the free tier so you'd need to upgrade to a more expensive tier which you wouldn't use.

Cost effective if you have a trusted friend who's already on a higher tier but doesn't use glacier...

here's why I prefer vouchers:
    http://www.wired.com/2012/08/glacier/
    ($22,000 bill from one hour use possible from a mistake)