Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS not propagating
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS not propagating

seenuseenu Member

Hello,

i have sub domain sub.domain.com for which DNS not propagating :(

domain.com is hosted with WHM
sub.domain.com is pointed to DigitalOcean DNS.

but my site is hosted somewhere else and its working properly.

now i changed ip so want to point to new ip,

I have changed
1. in DigitalOcean DNS to my new ip
2. in WHM DNS page, i changed A host to new ip

still it didn't work,
so i added A record in domain control panel still its not mapping to new ip.

it looks kinda funny but i have no clue what is happening.

Anyone faced similar situation earlier or can think of any possible mistake i am doing?

thanks for your time.

Comments

• How long have you waited for propagation?

• When you do nslookup sub.domain.name what do you get? Is it different to nslookup domain.name

• @quadhost almost a week

@eastonch http://www.kloth.net/services/nslookup.php says its still pointing to old ip

• Drop the DNS hosting with hosting providers, and go with a dedicated DNS company.

Thanked by 1asf
  • can you give an example site?

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2016

Not sure, but have you tried clearing your DNS cache and switching to Google's Public DNS?

On Windows:

ipconfig /flushdns

• tried ipconfig and i tried accessing site from proxy sites, its still loading old one only.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2016

@seenu said:
    tried ipconfig and i tried accessing site from proxy sites, its still loading old one only.

In that case, listen to @globalRegisters.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited August 2016

why not just add sub.domain.com to WHM, A record to corresponding IP
    use WHM nameservers, update over domain control?
    EDIT: Else if you prefer DO DNS, you do not even need to update in WHM, just have relevant A record for sub.domain.com over there (not sure if you can do that)

• @century1stop

I have already added sub.domain.com to WHM with A record.

since one by one failing, i have added in following order

1. DO DNS @ record
    2. WHM A record
    3. Domain control panel A record

still its pointing to old ip only

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

execute this in a linux system

dig +trace xxx

You will find out which host is responsible for answering the queries then you can fix it accordingly

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited August 2016

perhaps you could show your records minus domain and IP so we can trouble shoot
    maybe your new web server isn't running yet :P

• have a look into the whois-data of your domain and make sure the nameservers you think you are using match those listed there. if not change that via the place you registered your domain...

• Go to intodns.com and run a check against your domain, I bet there is some misconfiguration there (errors in the configuration are in red color).

• I'd also recommend to try this:

http://simpledns.com/lookup-dg.aspx

It shows the whole resolving process, starting with root-servers returning dn-servers for TLD, then TLD dn-server returning list of dn-servers for 2nd level domain, etc.

Once I stumbled upon similar web-site doing this in graphic form, unfortunatelly I lost it somewhere deep in my bookmarks...

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

Hello,

You can also make a whois request maybe your domain is in a status that does not allow zone to be updated.

• Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

web server is running and i can access with ip.

verifying in intoDNS shows some errors.

http://www.intodns.com/lorvent.com

and the sub-domain is deploy.lorvent.com

can you please tell me how to fix that?

• @seenu said:
    Thanks everyone for your kind responses.

web server is running and i can access with ip.

verifying in intoDNS shows some errors.

http://www.intodns.com/lorvent.com

and the sub-domain is deploy.lorvent.com

can you please tell me how to fix that?

Are you setting up a hosting company?

• lol no, why do you ask

• @seenu said:
    lol no, why do you ask

The subdomain "deploy". Just sounded like a hosting company config. Never mind...carry on.

• seenuseenu Member
    edited August 2016

no, it is for zero downtime deployment.

whenever a push is made to git, it will trigger a hook,
    where it will ssh into target server, git pull, composer install, npm install, gulp...... into a new build, if build is succeeded, then it will replace symlink of existing build.

its for development purposes only.

• You should never host your DNS from your main hosting provider.

Besides the speed and uptime differences, it makes changing hosting companies far easier and less complicated and with no down time.

• it seems like your domain has your own nameservers listet like:

Name Server: NS1.LORVENT.COM
    Name Server: NS2.LORVENT.COM

but it kind of looks like you have other NS entries in ns zone on those nameservers?

FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working. If they are not working ok, you may have problems! 
    ns2.nsresponse.com
    ns1.nsresponse.com

do you use own nameservers at all or that enom nameservers?

you should get rid of one set of those entries either use enom or use your own nameservers.

or make sure all entries are listet with the domain itself. and for sure you would need to make sure that all are updated properly if your zones on your own nameservers are changing...

• It is not enough to change nameservers in zone-file for that particular domain. You have to propagate this info upstream. This probably did not happen, because "com" nameservers still have ns1.lorvent.com and ns2.lorvent.com listed as nameservers authorised for "lorvent.com".

So as of now, it does not matter what you do with ns2.nsresponse.com & ns1.nsresponse.com, they are never asked for resolving hosts in lorvent.com domain.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • thanks @Falzo

looks like my hosting provider recently changed some servers and name servers, ips (got a mail about them but i ignored)

may be because of that.... its not accepting/realizing new changes.

i just updated ns1, ns2 ip records so i have to see.

Also, can you please tell me which DNS provider to use? google is a good option?

• nepsneps Member

globalRegisters said: Drop the DNS hosting with hosting providers, and go with a dedicated DNS company.

Aside for not knowing how, I don't know why people wouldn't do this. "Keeping things simple" isn't even that valid of a reason; it's much simpler to host all (for example) your domains with a single very reliable DNS provider, than have to log in somewhere else every time you need to edit DNS. Unless you have everything hosted on a single server as well, which is, well, eggs, baskets, etc.

• @seenu said:
    Also, can you please tell me which DNS provider to use? google is a good option?

Dude, I gave you three of the best DNS providers around...jeez!

• @neps said:

globalRegisters said: Drop the DNS hosting with hosting providers, and go with a dedicated DNS company.

Aside for not knowing how, I don't know why people wouldn't do this. "Keeping things simple" isn't even that valid of a reason; it's much simpler to host all (for example) your domains with a single very reliable DNS provider, than have to log in somewhere else every time you need to edit DNS. Unless you have everything hosted on a single server as well, which is, well, eggs, baskets, etc.

I guess it just comes with experience.

• looks like you got your ns records all mixed up