Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point of a storage VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the point of a storage VPS?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@DStrout said: Offsite backup - Okay, maybe, but I would only keep a few of my most critical files backed up offsite, which wouldn't take a huge sVPS. Or, get another HDD and keep it at your friend's house. Or have just one and keep it in a firebox. Offsite is overrated for personal data IMHO.

I agree with @nutjob. That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I've read on LET. And that's saying a lot.

BTW, you may want to check the specs on that firebox...even large vaults are generally not rated past 2.5 hours, and a home fire may burn longer. Jewelery and paper also can tolerate higher internal heat than magnetic media, so you may find you have no practical protection at all.

@DStrout said: I backup everything on my servers on my local computer. Don't see the point of paying for another server to backup your first server; as I said, local is faster.

Fire. Theft. Floods. Hackers. Angry girlfriends. Hardware faults. Software bugs.

You're assuming also that svps is used for backing up your stuff at home. What about backing up your VPSes or other online data? One of mine has ~30GB of unique content...another has customer data.

Sure, provider backs up some of that...but if the provider deadpools...

@Rallias said: A nuclear blast has a radius of approximately 60 miles (You wonder why amazon is where it's at in Virginia?). If they strike within 60 miles but not within about 5, I'm alive (but in need of radiation attention depending on my exact distance), but the data's compromised.

I highly doubt that was a consideration. 60 miles is also dependent on yield and fuzing. EMP may go much further, and I doubt Amazon's DCs are EMP-protected because nearly nothing is that isn't designed for EMP protection. Frankly, if Washington DC is nuked, we have bigger problems than whether reddit is up.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@earl said: Hmm wonder if there is an internet cafe that has high upload speed? then you can bring your external to the cafe should you need to restore a backup?

for $5 a month? Save yourself troubles.

• nickvanwnickvanw Member
    edited March 2013

Dropbox is not a backup - if, somehow, you end up deleting everything in your dropbox, it will sync all of those deletions, and your data will be gone.

Some of us also have business data and important non-personal stuff that needs to be backed up - with a 'storage' vps, it's easy to rsync or rdiff-backup from various servers at high speeds and low prices.

@DStrout sure, for someone who doesn't actually have important data beyond little personal stuff, it might not make sense, but there are people out there who do real things with the internet, and they have important stuff that they can't afford to lose.

• @nickvanw said: Dropbox is not a backup - if, somehow, you end up deleting everything in your dropbox, it will sync all of those deletions, and your data will be gone.

...Except that you can restore deleted files with Dropbox.

• @raindog308 said: Frankly, if Washington DC is nuked, we have bigger problems than whether reddit is up.

But then how will I know that DC was nuked?

• @concerto49 said: This is why I had to setup some crazy near fanless solution with modded graphics card coolers for my home PC.

I went from an i7 hackintosh to a Mac Mini just for the noise :)
    It's amazing, with the Mac Mini I don't hear anything. It's completely silent! (and I've got 2 drives installed: an SSD for the OS as primary, and the 1TB SATA disk as a secondary, using the owc data doubler)

You can't tell if it's switched on or off, I love it :)

• @DStrout: Yes, individually - I have thousands of files, and there's no way to batch restore, not to mention that dropbox isn't designed to be used as a backup solution.

But hey, I guess if all you're doing is toying with servers it doesn't really matter.

http://mhackintosh.com/dropbox-is-not-a-backup/
    http://www.erichansen.tv/2012/04/06/moving-to-dropbox-is-not-a-backup-strategy-4/

• earlearl Member

@netomx said: for $5 a month? Save yourself troubles.

It's the $5 VPS, that would concern me! here today gone tomorrow type deal.. I don't mind using a cheap VPS for media but not personal data..

@earl said: It's the $5 VPS, that would concern me! here today gone tomorrow type deal.. I don't mind using a cheap VPS for media but not personal data..

Well, it is backup. My opinion is, if the provider got deadpool, get another one ASAP. Your primary server wiped out AND your storage vps deadpool? that's gonna be a bad luck bryan.

• @netomx said: if the provider got deadpool, get another one ASAP.

Or simply have two (or more) VPSes from different providers where you sync your data.
    This way even if one crashes, goes deadpool, etc. you still have another copy or copies.

@rds100 said: Or simply have two (or more) VPSes from different providers where you sync your data.

This way even if one crashes, goes deadpool, etc. you still have another copy or copies.

+1

just got one deal of fliphost. 16/y for 75gb? thats cheap

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • @DStrout bandwidth. Not one person here is addressing the need for that in home back ups.

Why should I use that kind of bandwidth on my home connection simply to back up files. I would rather use it for media, development, Skype, ftp et al. And comparatively you are saving lots, and lots, and lots of money over using that bandwidth compared to a few bucks or less a month for storage. If you are the type of person that doesn't care because your connection is unlimited-I would contend there is a good chance you are not paying for that home service yourself.

• I use it for temporary backup.. I don't have spare drives laying around.. nor do I want that data to touch my other laptops sometimes..maybe it's just laziness..

• dnomdnom Member

@nickvanw I use dropbox for backup too, but of course I don't sync my backup I push my files via the API.

• If you are a developer you should be familiar with the concept of a repository by now. If you are on a higher level, perhaps systems admin, you should most certainly have online storage solutions with redundancy. The question here is whether or not to use your "local hard drive ". That's just not a very evolved approach to proper data management. Next some one is going to say why use foreign keys and model relationships in your applications. Face palm.

• This is a good thread. I made the same questions a lot of times.
    I bought an external HD (1Tb) to do my backups.

People talked a lot but what about to describe PRICES?

I like FREE options like "Dropbox, Google, Microsoft and Sugar Sync. All free. " as @nutjob wrote.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@netomx And I have no plans of going anywhere ;)

@Fliphost said: @netomx And I have no plans of going anywhere ;)

never said that! :P

• flyfly Member

reliability.

I want to be able to put my shit somewhere that my fat fingers can't break, that's the whole point of having backups.

@netomx :P

• @Rallias said: The number 1 rule of backups for me is NEVER keep it within 120 miles of the original data. Why?

>
    Actually it's over a thousand miles, EMP goes a long way and since there's not been a real check about this since the 50's or 60's probably a lot further due to how much more copper is flying in the air between telephone poles.

• @earl the hdd spins. It's got a motor. It humbles. Not only fans make noise.

• @nickvanw said: Dropbox is not a backup - if, somehow, you end up deleting everything in your dropbox, it will sync all of those deletions, and your data will be gone.

Firstly, you're wrong, you can recover deleted files using Dropbox and secondly, you're thinking of backup far too narrowly.

There are different kinds/levels of backup. One of the kinds of backup I want is when my SSD suddenly dies irrecoverably, I want to recover that genius bit of code I wrote 30 seconds before the SSD died. Within a typical 1-3 seconds after I hit save, Dropbox and SugarSync have copied my changes onto their servers and they are safe. I can pick up my computer and hoist it out the window if I want, it doesn't matter, my files are safe. They also keep several versions of the files so if I stupidly deleted a bunch of useful code and can get it back.

If you want to do more extensive backups all you need to do is write a simple script to do whatever kinds of differential or archival backup you want, and that will be uploaded as well.

• @nutjob You're funny - you can restore files, but only individually. Enjoy restoring 5,000 files one at a time from dropbox, and you better hope dropbox didn't lose anything on accident, which has personally happened to me.

Personally I use dropbox and then rdiff-backup twice a day to something like a storage VPS, so that no matter what I always have a pretty recent copy of my data. That's why people have storage VPSes!

• @nickvanw said: You're funny - you can restore files, but only individually

Yeah when I change 5000 files at a time in my text editor, I'll be concerned, until then it works to purpose. Go read my comment again, if you can comprehend it, which you seem to have difficulty with. I use Dropbox for immediate backups, and as I said, other options for more comprehensive backup strategies. Why don't you man up and just say that what you said about deleted files was wrong?

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@DStrout I do believe that individuals mostly use outside "backup" storage as "poor man's" content distribution solution.

On the other hand, serious firms are using outside backup storage as backup storage, and are capable and willing to pay handsomely for that service.

• FreekFreek Member

I just it to store files, not for backups. My upload at home is slow. I store files for others to download, a bit like my personal rapidshare ;)

• I use Dropbox to back up my schoolwork, and to keep it synced across multiple computers. I also use Carbonite to back up the rest of my stuff, but I really don't have that much other than my schoolwork that would be a pain to lose. While yes it'd be a pain to drop my laptop, kill the HDD, and lose all the stuff I foolishly put on my desktop it's not going to KILL me.

• If the OP doesn't understand the need for Storage offers, then the OP isn't the market for them.

Let me give you some examples of what we use storage VMs for:

1. Server backups ---
      Remote servers with 100k-10 million files. Live sites. Must work or in case of failure, must be restored/worked around. Can't do that from my home internet.

2. File downloads ---
      It's all the rage these days to have X strikes and you are shit listed/banned from internet for piracy, whether true or false. Next it will be autobans for saying anything intelligent or unpopular.

So, bittorrent being a platform for all sorts of stuff, runs much faster and "secure" out there upside a storage node.

1. Archive downloads ---
      We run some small mirrors and are bringing more online. Moving more into audio realm. Big files (20 megabytes and above). Files are randomly accessed at best. So it offloads space on servers elsewhere we have with need for more active use/workload.

Certainly there are other uses. Couple the storage with some additional cores and some nice'ing and makes for good drop spot to do transcoding too.

Use some to do scheduled recordings from various sources (audio and video).

@pubcrawler

Welcome back