Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server details manager
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server details manager

So my list of vps is increasing... I am adding 2-3 new vps accounts every month. I am finding it difficult to remember all credentials, ips, configuration details, renewal dates charges etc.

What do you guys use to keep this information organized? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• tommytommy Member

excel,

use xxxx.domain.com for every VPS so you don't need to remember IP address.
    use SSH-KEY to log-in, so you don't need to save your credential on plain text.

or hired someone to coded that for you :)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • BochiBochi Member

@KuJoe built something some time ago: https://github.com/KuJoe/KToYS

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • Use a spreadsheet for inventory, keepass for credentials.

Keep them separate.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Royal TS(X) is great for this, works on macos, windows and they have an app as well. You can save your credentials (keys, passwords, IP's, names and more) in an encrypted document.

• I use 1Password for this... not the best, but okay.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

tommy said: use xxxx.domain.com for every VPS so you don't need to remember IP address. use SSH-KEY to log-in, so you don't need to save your credential on plain text.

This, and I also have a LibreOffice spreadsheet to track expiration dates, and a regular plain-text file to save login details to the providers' control panels.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

For windows OS you can use remote desktop connection manager, for linux OS i would also use key pairing. In order to remember renewal dates maybe you could use some kind of calendar or outlook appointments ?

• Thank you @all for your answers. Not sure which will work for me. I think MsExcel seems to be my best bet.

Any other self-hosted solutions to save passwords (so me and my team can access them)?

• cassacassa Member

For Hexodo I created a Django app that syncs with monitoring and other APIs, everything in one place :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@plumberg said:
    Thank you @all for your answers. Not sure which will work for me. I think MsExcel seems to be my best bet.

Any other self-hosted solutions to save passwords (so me and my team can access them)?

I can add a password field into KToYS fairly easily if that looks like something you'd want to use.

Bochi said: @KuJoe built something some time ago: https://github.com/KuJoe/KToYS

Thanks for the mention. :D

• edited July 2016

The (probably) overkill way, but Salt provides some nice utilities for quickly seeing what a host has. For example, for checking what IPs I have on an interface...

There is also this, if I forget what interface I should even be using...

I store the renewals/etc in Fantastical

• @cassa said:
    For Hexodo I created a Django app that syncs with monitoring and other APIs, everything in one place :)

Thanks. Can you share more details?

• tragictragic Member

@vfuse said:
    Royal TS(X) is great for this, works on macos, windows and they have an app as well. You can save your credentials (keys, passwords, IP's, names and more) in an encrypted document.

This is great, just picked it up. Thank you!