Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ipv6 - what should I know?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ipv6 - what should I know?

jboogiejboogie Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hi, just got a vps from ramnode and I see I have an ipv6 ip also, which I never had and know practically nothing of.

I'm going to use this vps as a personal mail server - from a practical point of view, what does having an ipv6 ip change? Do I need to change my firewall?

Comments

• it's OVZ by the way

• Yes, you need to change your firewall!
    IPv4: iptables
    IPv6: ip6tables (different command, different ruleset)

Also, read something about ICMPv6... it's nothing like the ICMP protocol you know from IPv4. Forget about ARP, DHCP & all that... Think neighbour discovery, routing advertisements, DaD etc...

And most of all: HAVE FUN ! :)

• IMO, unless you're doing something IPv6 specific -- and you know if your are -- then disable it, or configure your services to listen only on IPv4.

• @sleddog said: IMO, unless you're doing something IPv6 specific -- and you know if your are -- then disable it, or configure your services to listen only on IPv4.

Exactly, would second disabling as a whole.

• @sleddog said: unless you're doing something IPv6 specific -- and you know if your are -- then disable it

Exactly what many datacenters do. Even better, they never enabled it ;)

Is the internet something specific enough?

Joke apart, there is not a lot of differences but you need to configure your domains (a AAAA record) and your daemons (the interfaces they are listening).

• @hostingwizard_net said: but you need to configure your domains (a AAAA record)

Thank you for this. And combining with improper vm config makes me face palm when I hear ppl complain some times.

• thanks for replies! I really don't need it and I'd disable it, but how do I do that? From inside the vps or from ramnode's site?

• oh and if I can't disable it, does it suffice to tell dovecot and ssh (the services I'm using) to listen only on IPv4 and I'm done (i.e. secure), or do I still have to configure ip6tables?

• M66BM66B Veteran

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/[interface]/disable_ipv6

• thanks, that was it :) added it as a script in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d and it works fine

• jboogiejboogie Member
    edited March 2013

If someone finds this thread in the future, I've summarized what I've learnt my blog

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

I'm afraid you have not learned all that much, and even those were all the wrong things.
    IPv6 is the future, very sad that you now chose to actively work against it by publishing "easy HOWTOs" for people to kill it with fire.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said: IPv6 is the future, very sad that you now chose to actively work against it by publishing "easy HOWTOs" for people to kill it with fire.

Exactly what I was thinking..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

Yes, sad... Hopefully, IPv4 prices will keep going up and more and more people will lose customers because of IPv6 only internet access in places.
    Will take a few years for this to happen, though.

• It's just knowledge, I don't see how it can be sad or happy. It's something that would've saved me an entire morning of reading had I found it written by somebody else

• edited March 2013

IPv6 comes in handy with IRC bouncers if you use one. Its quite nice to have lots of rDNS options.

@rm_ Agreed!

• IPv6 may be the wave of the future, but it isn't the wave of the present. Ask for a practical application of it for someone who runs a website VPS or mail server today, and all you get is crickets. Then add the additional layers of complexity in configuring/securing or even just understanding it. Then you realize that you can't even access IPv6 from all but the newest cable modems...

I'm with @jboogie on this one.

• IPv6 adoption on the consumer end wont be done for a while. None of the home networking stuff I have (Motorola SBG6580 and Linksys WRT54GS running DDWRT) have IPv6 support. My modem is DOCSIS 3.0, newer than the majority of consumer equipment and it doesn't have IPv6 yet.

• @rm_ said: I'm afraid you have not learned all that much, and even those were all the wrong things.

IPv6 is the future, very sad that you now chose to actively work against it by publishing "easy HOWTOs" for people to kill it with fire.

fullack

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2013

@Magiobiwan said: Linksys WRT54GS running DDWRT

Of course it has... its even an extra tab in the webinterface.

@Magiobiwan said: Motorola SBG6580

Has IPv6 support as well (full, in hardware) - Your carrier just does not give you any.

Nearly any consumer modem/router from the last 5 years has FULL IPv6 support, often even for tunnelproviders and DHCP6.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Both my router and modem have full IPv6, however my ISP doesn't yet (Comcast)

• fislefisle Member

@jboogie said: If someone finds this thread in the future, I've summarized what I've learnt my blog

Woah what the fuck is wrong with those colours in your blog.. I almost threw up