Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GFW friendly VPN protocols?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GFW friendly VPN protocols?

RobotexRobotex Member
edited July 2016 in General

So in a few days I'm going to China and staying there for one month.
What VPN protocols/software can I install on my VPS for remote management since I read that ssh gets blocked? And also for reaching fb/youtube/gaming too.
Anyone with recent experience?

Comments

• I notice a lot of Chinese customers use https://shadowsocks.org/en/index.html

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Try Shadowsocks or ShadowVPN.

• shadowsocks and anyconnect/openconnect(serve by ocserv)
    openvpn, pptp, l2tp is blocked

Thanked by 1bashlyk
  • shadowsocks and anyconnect/openconnect(serve by ocserv) is ok

openvpn, pptp, l2tp is blocked

i can not delete the previous comment

• KobeKobe Member
    edited July 2016

L2TP/IPSEC and PPTP isn't blocked if there aren't an abnormal amount of connections to the server. If you're the only one using the server, it'll fly under the radar for some time.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Shadowsocks and Softether using 256 CBC

• SSH is fine in China to control your vps outside the GFW.

• noamannoaman Member

@Robotex said:
    So in a few days I'm going to China and staying there for one month.
    What VPN protocols/software can I install on my VPS for remote management since I read that ssh gets blocked? And also for reaching fb/youtube/gaming too.
    Anyone with recent experience?

Where did you read that ssh was blocked?

• KobeKobe Member

They're getting pretty good at blocking SoftEther so it isn't as reliable as everyone suspects at the moment.

• GFW is never friendly with VPN protocols. SSH works fine until you use its tunnel function. Best hope is shadowsocks for your eyes only, and keep the traffic little enough.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • CasterCaster Member

Bro go with PureVPN . BEST VPN. Lot of fast servers and GFW bypass methods.

• Thanks for all the replies

shadowsocks

Which fork/port should I use? I saw the main author stopped working on it

shadowVPN

I cannot find an OSX client for it :\

If you're the only one using the server, it'll fly under the radar for some time.

It will be used only by me, although from multiple devices from behind the same residential router

Softether

I like the multiprotocol idea, but as some pointed out I read that it's detected

PureVPN

I would like to use my own VPS since I'm already paying for them :)

I'm also evaluating the idea of bringing with me a wifi repeater flashed with a custom openwrt+shadowsocks package for a plug&play solution, does anyone know if it fits on a SoC with only 4MB flash?

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited July 2016

@Robotex said:
    Which fork/port should I use? I saw the main author stopped working on it

I saw this topic yesterday and decided to try shadowsocks-libev, working good so far! It's the one recommended for low end boxes due to its small resource footprint.

https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks-libev

You can compare the others here:

https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks/wiki/Feature-Comparison-across-Different-Versions

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited July 2016

You can use openvpn over shadowsocks according to the wiki https://github.com/shadowsocks/shadowsocks/wiki/Connect-to-OpenVPN-over-Shadowsocks

Although, I haven't been able to configure it yet. Openvpn connects to the local proxy port but the ssl handshake fails when connecting to the server. Anyone has any fix?

• also you can use stunnel + Openvpn

• john564john564 Member
    edited July 2016

@chinmoy
    openvpn over obfsproxy works on PC, wish someone got it working on openwrt router
    If openvpn client and obfsproxy client are on the same machine you need
    to modify openvpn server script as follows. Otherwise when you establish the openvpn connection it breaks the obfsproxy connection.

push "redirect-gateway local"

push "route vpn_server_ip 255.255.255.255 net_gateway"