Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet support: Excelent!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet support: Excelent!

I would like to share my tonight's experience with WSI support.
There was an issue with a 3TB hdd (had issues with the drive, leaded to corrupted data 3 times in 3 months). I opened a ticket tonight asking for a replacement of the drive. In 7 minutes (!!!!) after ticket opening, the drive had been replaced. With no asking "why", "let's see if there are issues" or "what do you say, the drive is fine!".
They replaced the drive just SEVEN minutes after my request!
I have servers over a year now from WSI and, whenever I opened a ticket for something (e.g. reboot stucked the server and needed a manual reboot to the actual machine), the response was in minutes. And we are talking for bare metal servers of 10$ to 30$ maximum (the 30$ one is a Dual Xeon 5520 with 3TB HDD, 1Gbit ethernet and a /29, the one I replaced the drive).
So, what can I say? I'm impressed...

Comments

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited July 2016

That is surely very impressive for a budget provider like WSI. Also, good to see a thread appreciating them instead of usual "They failed to provide fully managed service on my 20$ server so they suck" rants. Some of my friend who have several servers from WSI also speak very highly of their support especially when it comes to hardware issues. It is very unrealistic of some people to expect 100% uptime & 5 minute response time all round the year from a host with one of the cheapest pricing in the world. Those people who run mission critical stuff with budget providers must have a redundant setup & regular backups or they should blame only themselves in case of data loss.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @jvnadr said:
    In 7 minutes (!!!!) after ticket opening, the drive had been replaced.

What was the SMART data like for the new drive?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

telephone said: What was the SMART data like for the new drive?

Not new, but not ancient... 2,8 years of use, and smart data are those:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
    Device Model: ST3000DM001-1CH166
    Serial Number: W1F22X3E
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 05e0b608d
    Firmware Version: CC24
    User Capacity: 3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
    Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
    Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
    Form Factor: 3.5 inches
    Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
    SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
    Local Time is: Tue Jul 26 20:10:45 2016 CDT
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled
    SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10

Thanked by 1telephone
  • sinsin Member

I had them replace a drive in under 10 minutes too :) their support has always been fast for me.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

UPDATE: The new drive, although it was not really old, had some bad sectors. I opened a new ticket stated that, in 7 minutes again (!!!) they pulled out the HDD from node to do tests to the drive and in 15 (!!!!!!!) minutes they did replace it again with a tested drive!
    I am formatting the server and later, will drop smart details here.
    Kudos to WSI support!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • gappergapper Member
    edited July 2016

This seriously looks like a paid review to hide their two recent power outages that took many servers offline for 24+ hours (18 hours in the first power outage and 7 hours in the second), both in less than two weeks.

During that time support tickets got basically ignored and/or received canned replies.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited July 2016

If you @gapper make allegations against a Reputable LET member @jvnadr you should prove it if not LET can tear you apart (proceed with caution)

It my advice nothing more but what i have said is true i have seen it time and time again

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

gapper said: This seriously looks like a paid review

So, you, a member registered at March with just 15 comments, accuse me of posting paid review? Really?
    You could just have a look to a lot of my older threads with a lot of reviews for many providers and contribiuton to other threads with reviews. I am not biased for anybody, but when I use a service that has excellent value for money, I feel obligated to mention that.

You cannot say "took many servers off line for +24 hours" just because you read 3-4 posts on LET. You only can say "my servers went off line for +24 hours", just as I say "I am impressed with their support". I am not saying "many members of LET are impressed".
    So, @gapper, you say that they had a 24+ outage for a lot of servers. How many servers? Do you have details about it? Or is it just you?

Now, a generic opinion: A hosting company that offers dedicated servers for 10-30$ with 1 Gb/s ethernet, /29 ip and faster than the usual atom proccessors with 300-600 benchmark and automatic reinstalls/reboots via panel, is not expected not to have any outages or, even more, when they have an issue in their datacenter to be able to handle all the tickets to their clients. If they could offer tons of specs, 99,999% uptime and 24/7 lighting-fast support in any circumstances for 10-30$ per month, then companies that offer dedis for 150-200$ would not have any reason for existing. There is alwasy what we call "value for money" and, IMHO, WSI has a very good value for money, if you know how to setup the right infrastructure with one or multiple failure proof points, mirroring and/or backups. Things that anyone should have even with much more expensive servers...

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

And the update about the HDD, as I promised earlier:
    I got an almost new drive with excellent specs in smart data.

This is the new drive:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===  
    Model Family:     Toshiba 3.5" HDD DT01ACA...  
    Device Model:     TOSHIBA DT01ACA300  
    Serial Number:    Z5HR531GS  
    LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 fe3ca134d  
    Firmware Version: MX6OABB0  
    User Capacity:    3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]  
    Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical  
    Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm  
    Form Factor:      3.5 inches

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0  
      2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   140   140   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       68  
      3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   156   156   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       390 (Average 347)  
      4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       13  
      5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       0  
      7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0  
      8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   124   124   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       33  
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       3681  
     10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   095   095   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       1  
     12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       13  
    192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       40  
    193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       40  
    194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   181   181   000    Old_age   Always       -       33   (Min/Max 22/46)  
    196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0  
    197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0  
    198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0  
    199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0  

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited July 2016

@gapper said:
    This seriously looks like a paid review to hide their two recent power outages that took many servers offline for 24+ hours (18 hours in the first power outage and 7 hours in the second), both in less than two weeks.

During that time support tickets got basically ignored and/or received canned replies.

No this isn't a paid review. WSI support is really good, even on the day with the power outage I actually received personalized responses within minutes.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • sinsin Member

@gapper said:

I highly doubt it's a paid review @jvnadr is an active member here and I have also had nothing but great experiences with WSI support. They're not without their problems but their prices are good, the CEO was nice enough to give LET members a 2nd harddrive for free on certain models, and when it comes to hardware support WSI is usually on point.

Thanked by 2jvnadr ihatetonyy
  • I use support 2 times in 2 months, first time was very unpleasant. I don't want to post the reply here but was very disrespect...was like "if you don't like it look elsewhere". My issue was about the order say 2TB disk and I get lower CPU and 1TB disk not 2TB, then referred me to billing in friday night until monday morning to say .."we don't refund in any case, you can cancel your server but we don't refund". I still use that server anyways but order there is like a lottery but price is too much attractive.

• A year ago, I ordered my first server from WSI. It was rebooting on its own every time there was high network traffic. I opened a ticket, mentioning that it could be a hardware issue, and so forth. They told me that it must be software issue, check the logs, reinstall the OS and such stuff. After a couple of weeks, I opened another ticket since I was fed up, and they told me that they will check the hardware. And the next ticket reply by them just had the message "It was a hardware issue, and it has been replaced". The server worked fine after that. I never found out which part of the hardware was replaced, and to be honest didn't care at that time to ask them.

So yeah, I have had both good and bad experience with their support, but lately it's been great, so there's that.

I am still using them since you can't beat their prices, and I am pretty happy nowadays.

• Their support is fantastic. I almost always receive a reply in minutes except in very rare cases. GO WSI!

• vedranvedran Veteran

@mtoledoce said:
    My issue was about the order say 2TB disk and I get lower CPU and 1TB disk not 2TB, then referred me to billing in friday night until monday morning to say .."we don't refund in any case, you can cancel your server but we don't refund"

Strangely, I had a similar issue when I ordered a server, it came with the wrong CPU. Opened a ticket and they just replaced the CPU

• @vedran preconfigured server? they said ...we can't change this kind of servers even with the provisioning mistake.

• MikeInMikeIn Member

@simonindia yep and now it's on that track.

Ones upon a time WSI and Datashack (nocix) were much more frequently talked about :)

Some quotation from there (WSI's) T&C page:

4.2. Service Level Agreement. Our current Service Level Agreement (SA) is as follows:

(a) UNMANAGED SERVICES ONLY. Our 24 hour on site staff will respond to tickets regarding server hardware and service disruption issues only on a first come, first served basis. Clients are required to manage their own data backups and all software aspects of the server including operating system configuration beyond a base OS install.

(b) We strive to and anticipate that our Service will be available to you most of the time.

(c) A Service disruption occurs when your server is completely offline for more than 15 minutes due to an unplanned fault in our networking or power infrastructure.

(d) Disruptions caused by the hardware or software of the server itself are not covered by this SA.

(e) Disruptions caused by planned or unplanned maintenance are not covered by this SA.

(f) Disruptions caused as a result of actions taken by our abuse/security department are not covered under this SA.

(g) In the event that there is an unplanned Service disruption, you may open a support ticket and request an Account credit to be issued for a prorated amount of your monthly invoice amount equal to the time of the Service disruption. For example: If you pay $60 per month for your server and it is unavailable for 24 hours (during a 30 day month) due to an unplanned service outage, you may request an account credit for $2. You understand that this is your sole remedy for an unplanned service outage.

• vedranvedran Veteran

@mtoledoce said:
    @vedran preconfigured server? they said ...we can't change this kind of servers even with the provisioning mistake.

Yes, preconfigured $15 server.