Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider that supports mobile payment? (Pay from phone bill)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider that supports mobile payment? (Pay from phone bill)

IvanIvan Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Hey. So I'm looking for a nice VPS that I could use throughout my learning experiences, perform tests on, and etc.
I'm not too sure about bandwidth and all that, I choose to use the VPS as a personal one, and if any project(s) come upon to my mind, maybe it might then get traffic.

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent VPS with 512mb or 1GB ram (preferably a 512MB one with 1GB vSwap)
I'm quite new to this, so I don't really have a lot of money monthly as I'm quite young. Anyway, I think it might not be easy but I'm willing to pay up to around $7USD maximum per month for a VPS, but is it possible for me to pay through my mobile phone? Through text message.

Hopefully I'm not requesting for too much and that there aren't any providers out there that could meet my requirements.

Comments

• Mobile payments are not very popular since the payment processor takes a very big cut of the money (40-60%).

• jhjh Member

@rds100 said: Mobile payments are not very popular since the payment processor takes a very big cut of the money (40-60%).

This.

It's not going to happen for $7/month.

• MrXMrX Member

I doubt it. The per-transaction fees for those payments are enormous. I have seen examples of up to 20%. That doesn't leave much (if anything) over for the providers, which in the LEB market are already running on quite low margins.

• IvanIvan Member

Ah. I see then. I guess mobile payment isn't going to happen. Nevermind.

• Another option is a MoneyPak that can load money directly into your Paypal balance.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited March 2013

@BlackoutIsHere said: Another option is a MoneyPak that can load money directly into your Paypal balance.

Will check this out, and also the Visa card voucher.

• EvixoEvixo Member

@teohkay said: Will check this out, and also the Visa card voucher.

You can also sign up for a MoneyBookers (Skrill now) account and get a prepaid creditcard from them. Works excellent :-)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

We would love to do this. Anybody have a recommendation for a system to do this? Thanks.

• I use Entropay when I don't completely trust the site. You can generate a new VISA card for each transaction, and the account is fundable by credit card or bank transfer. For credit card funding you must verify it by holding it in front of your webcam (I don't have a webcam so I just took a picture of the card and loaded ManyCam - worked fine), I have never tried bank funding but I guess it would need verification of identity documents.

• IvanIvan Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: We would love to do this. Anybody have a recommendation for a system to do this? Thanks.

I'm not sure myself but do drop me a comment on my profile if you guys happen to support mobile payments. :D

• MrXMrX Member

Entropay is horrendously expensive, though. 4.95% top-up fee is just ridiculous.

They offer a fairly solid service, though, but it is cheaper to get a Neteller or Moneybookers account and a prepaid MasterCard linked to it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Liam said: You could always get a visa card voucher and use it with paypal.

You have to be careful with this. Gift cards usually can't be used, but debit cards (that have the VISA logo) can. That's what I've read, anyway.

• @raindog308 said: You have to be careful with this. Gift cards usually can't be used, but debit cards (that have the VISA logo) can. That's what I've read, anyway.

You need to look carefully even when you buy a VISA prepaid debit card, it may be marked with "NOT FOR INTERNATIONAL USE" or something similar.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013

@Liam said: I'm sure @damian maybe did. Not sure, could be confused.

We looked into it, but did not, because:

@rds100 said: Mobile payments are not very popular since the payment processor takes a very big cut of the money (40-60%).

AND, pay-by-phone-bill has one of the highest dispute rates of any payment method. Something like 40%.

@shovenose said: We would love to do this.

Better dont!

• support123support123 Member
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: @shovenose said: We would love to do this.

Better dont!

Our of everything @shovenose plans,only one percent he does.I am missing his threads these days.
    Back in the topic,I will not use it since it charges so much

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: AND, pay-by-phone-bill has one of the highest dispute rates of any payment method. Something like 40%.

Likely because it allows kids an easy way to buy stuff with their parent's money without asking first.

• How do you even chargeback a phone call/SMS ????

• You call the provider and he does it, even easier than CC.