Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Plesk, Nginx, htaccess and WordPress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Plesk, Nginx, htaccess and WordPress

KeyJeyKeyJey Member
edited July 2016 in General

Hi guys, this is a question for Plesk experts.

I've chose Plesk after tons of years not using it and it's good coz of WordPress speed. This is for a small project where we want to install some WordPress DEMO sites.

Using PHP7 + FastCGI + Apache + Nginx as reverse proxy.

But we have problems with all related with htaccess and NginX as reverse proxy. In fact we use a couple of plugins that are giving issues, I think is related to htaccess.

We use HideMyWordPress plugin and WP-Rocket as cache.

We got to make this plugins installed without any error or issies, but can't see them working.

In concrete we see the rule applied:

RewriteRule ^betheme/(.*) /master1/wp-content/themes/betheme/$1?usp_hide_my_wp=1234 [QSA,L]

But doesn't work, we can see the WP theme via whatwpthemeisthat.com.

Any expert that can help with this ? what am I supppsed to do to fix this ? thanks

Comments

• ceapaceapa Member
    edited July 2016

"You need to convert to NGINX rewrite rules when you place NGINX Plus in front of your Apache servers to take over as the reverse proxy or load balancer, or when you replace Apache web servers with NGINX Plus web servers."

This should be exactly what you want: https://www.nginx.com/blog/converting-apache-to-nginx-rewrite-rules/

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited July 2016

KeyJey said: But doesn't work, we can see the WP theme via whatwpthemeisthat.com.

Jesusfuckingchrist! You go through so much trouble to hide the name of a theme? Just rename the damn directory inside the theme zip before you upload the theme!

Something tells me that you shouldn't even be taking on clients if you struggle with such basic things.

However, in the interest of contributing to this insightful topic / discussion, I have got to ask - Why don't you simply use nginx with php7 to serve the web pages? Unless, ofc, apache has grown to offer better performance and you enjoy troubleshooting ten random things as opposed to doing some real web development?

Also, how and why does plesk offer better 'wordpress speed' as opposed to, lets say, cpanel, webmin, ispconfig or some other similar bloated pile of crap?

• KeyJeyKeyJey Member

It's quite more complex than that, my mistake I didn't explain myself. My english is a problem sometimes to explain things.

Anyway, with replies like the @K4Y5 one, I won't say anything else.

• @K4Y5 said:

KeyJey said: But doesn't work, we can see the WP theme via whatwpthemeisthat.com.

Jesusfuckingchrist! You go through so much trouble to hide the name of a theme? Just rename the damn directory inside the theme zip before you upload the theme!

Also rename the theme name and delete all extra stuff like author name author url etc in style.css and look for those theme details in functions.php if necessary change them.

• FalzoFalzo Member

probably not a plesk related issue at all... haven't seen much of plesk lately so can only guess: is there an option within plesk which lets you choose which server-config you want to use with that account or domain?
    may be have a look into it, if apache is involved at all or what combination of servers is chosen there. if no apache at all, then .htaccess wouldn't matter.

also have a look into what nginx filetypes that proxy is reversing (and maybe caching) and which files are unaffected.
    what things caches rocket cache and what htaccess rules it applies before or after that hidemyass-thingy?

try disabling rocket cache and maybe other (caching/optimizing) plugins to see if they may interfere...

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited July 2016

@WebGuru said:

@K4Y5 said:

Also rename the theme name and delete all extra stuff like author name author url etc in style.css and look for those theme details in functions.php if necessary change them.

Yeah, in that case don't forget to remove the screenshot and favicon images, along with any comments or references to the original theme or the author within the source files ;)

PS: I forgot to mention that you should also rename the functions and variables used, for some extra safety!

• @K4Y5 said:

@WebGuru said:

@K4Y5 said:

Yeah, in that case don't forget to remove the screenshot and favicon images, along with any comments or references to the original theme or the author within the source files ;)

PS: I forgot to mention that you should also rename the functions and variables used, for some extra safety!

and never forget to delete changelog.txt for themes like sahifa with regular updates ;)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@WebGuru said:

@K4Y5 said:

@WebGuru said:

@K4Y5 said:

and never forget to delete changelog.txt for themes like sahifa with regular updates ;)

• noamannoaman Member

OP

change directory of the theme or better yet create a child a theme with a new dir...and copy all the theme files in it....