Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how a Thanks can backfire rapidly at LET
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how a Thanks can backfire rapidly at LET

emghemgh Member
edited July 2016 in Help

Hello,

So everyone says "I'm going to setup a GRE tunnel for protection", BuyVM has a guide on how to setup a GRE tunnel with their filtered IP option to get a decent DDoS protection.

I had a chat with SeFlow that said a GRE tunnel just forwards the attack, and dosen't protect at all.

So how is it?

Thanks!

Comments

• filefile Member

A GRE tunnel is just a method for forwarding traffic, in and of itself it does not block or protect. That's up to something ahead of the tunnel (in the case of BuyVM this is Voxility).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

file said: A GRE tunnel is just a method for forwarding traffic, in and of itself it does not block or protect. That's up to something ahead of the tunnel (in the case of BuyVM this is Voxility).

>

@file said:
    A GRE tunnel is just a method for forwarding traffic, in and of itself it does not block or protect. That's up to something ahead of the tunnel (in the case of BuyVM this is Voxility).

Get it! Thanks.

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited July 2016

@emgh said:

Hi,
    in the chat i not said that this solution doesn't protect you BUT, if you will have:

buyvm --- gre tunnel --- Our unprotected server

You will spend 6$ + server price.

this configuration make no sense when you can buy native 4,2tbps DDoS protected server at only 9€ + server price

With gre tunnel you will risk:

• If attacker find remote server ip it will bypass protection and your server will be blocked
    • We identify attacks within 5 seconds on unprotected servers, this mean if voxility filters not detect it in time or protection fails your server will be blocked for 4 hours
    • You will have latency increase
    • You will add a point of failure in your enviroment

Personally i not think this justify 3,5€ save

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • DemoDemo Member
    edited July 2016

lawl.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Demo said:
    Hey.

You price is 9€ for 100Gbps on Sensor.
    Don't mix the prices or give us more details.

And did you just threaten your possible customer with 'it will be blocked for 4hours?' Nice one.

Oh. And 6$ to 8$ is 2$, not 3. But... yeah.
    Nice try.

Thanked by 2SSDBlaze Mathias
  • emghemgh Member

Oh SSDBlaze, nice seeing you around. You fucked me over hard last time! (they didn't know how to activate my package in WHMCS and didn't know how to config the cPanel module, it was just like 1-2 dollars but still..)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@emgh said:
    Oh @SSDBlaze, nice seeing you around. You fucked me over hard last time! (they didn't know how to activate my package in WHMCS and didn't know how to config the cPanel module, it was just like 1-2 dollars but still..)

hahaha, that made my day, corrected that tagging for you to bring on the drama...
    (pls change title to: how a Thanks can backfire rapidly at LET)

Thanked by 2emgh SSDBlaze
  • emghemgh Member
    edited July 2016

@Falzo said:

@emgh said:
    Oh @SSDBlaze, nice seeing you around. You fucked me over hard last time! (they didn't know how to activate my package in WHMCS and didn't know how to config the cPanel module, it was just like 1-2 dollars but still..)

hahaha, that made my day, corrected that tagging for you to bring on the drama...
    (pls change title to: how a Thanks can backfire rapidly at LET)

Done! :)

Thanked by 1Falzo