Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap VPS for Owncloud/Nextcloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap VPS for Owncloud/Nextcloud

I am looking for a cheap (15-20$/year) VPS for Owncloud/Nextcloud usage.

Reqs: 50GB
Bandwidth: 1TB-1.5TB / month
EU Datacenter would be optimal

I need a reputable provider!

Thanks

Comments

• GMaister22GMaister22 Member
    edited July 2016

@atrava said:
    time4vps
    their storage plans look pretty interesting, is it a good provider?, somewhere i read that they were asking if litespeed was good (!) kinda unprofessional asking that kind of stuff imho

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

Check Time4VPS initially, they offer storage VPS in EU at unbeatable prices.

GMaister22 said: is it a good provider?

They are good and realiable, their storage line has some IOPS limits though. It is intended to backups first and foremost.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • @bersy said:
    Check Time4VPS initially, they offer storage VPS in EU at unbeatable prices.

GMaister22 said: is it a good provider?

They are good and realiable, their storage line has some IOPS limits though. It is intended to backups purpose first and foremost.

IOPS limits, would that be limiting on an Owncloud server?

• They told me that their limits are I/O: 40 MB/s, 400 IOPS

I really have no clue what are these!

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

GMaister22 said: IOPS limits, would that be limiting on an Owncloud server?

If you choose their storage line, yes. According to their words, limit is about 400 IOPS.

• @bersy said:

GMaister22 said: IOPS limits, would that be limiting on an Owncloud server?

If you choose their storage line, yes. According to their words, limit is about 400 IOPS.

Yup, both on the storage and standard plans have the same I/O: 40 MB/s, 400 IOPS, so why would be the storage limiting to an Owncloud server? xD I have no idea what are those IOPS and how many i need

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

It will be enough in many cases in my book, though I've never used OwnCloud.

You need 50GB storage, that's not so much and you can find any offers withing your budget.

For example, INIZ has recently launched its budget storage line at openvz.io. The most affordable plan (£17.50/yr) comes with 256MB RAM and 150GB storage, but only 500GB BW unfortunately. Are there any IOPS limits, is it good enough for OwnCloud @kt?

If $25/yr is still OK, check also LiteServer.nl's 256MB/200GB, 2TB OVZ storage plan, use VPS15OFF to get 15% recurring OFF.

• @bersy said:
    It will be enough in many cases in my book, though I've never used OwnCloud.

You need 50GB storage, that's not so many and you can find any offers withing your budget. INIZ has recently launched its budget storage line at openvz.io, the most affordable plan (£17.50/yr) comes with 256MB RAM and 150GB storage, but only 500GB BW unfortunately. Are there any IOPS limits, is it good enough for OwnCloud @kt?

Yeah i am not sure if 500GB can help, i mean 150GB is really more than double that i need. Another solution could be hosting it my own on a raspberry pi3 or something maybe

• tommytommy Member

check scaleway €2.99/m

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

tommy said: check scaleway €2.99/m

Yeah it's KVM based and comes with 2GB RAM, but it's also twice than OP's budget as far as I can see.

• @bersy said:

Yeah it's KVM based and comes with 2GB RAM, but it's also twice than OP's budget as far as I can see.

U think that i can run into problems with the Time4VPS IOPS?

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

@GMaister22 I've already expressed my opinion about that. Moreover they have OwnCloud template, that implicitly confirms it should be suitable. But, again, 50GB is not so much and you can probably find something else withing $25 range, even KVM based I beliеve. @AshleyUk used to offer such ones in EU, for example.

By the way, just in case you are good with out-of-the-box similar solution, Prometeus offers SeaFile storage, there is a 10% off code - iwSeaX.

• GMaister22GMaister22 Member
    edited July 2016

@bersy said:
    @GMaister22 I've already expressed my opinion about that. Moreover they have OwnCloud template, that implicitly confirms it should be suitable. But, again, 50GB is not so much and you can probably find something else withing $25 range, even KVM based I beliеve. @AshleyUk used to offer such ones in EU, for example.

By the way, just in case you are good with out-of-the-box similar solution, Prometeus offers SeaFile storage, there is a 10% off code - iwSeaX.

seafile is better?

• tommytommy Member

@bersy said:

If you only use desktop/mobile app no problem. If you using web, that the problem.

@bersy said:

Opps, then drserver fit his budget

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

tommy said: Opps, then drserver fit his budget

Yeah, but not in Europe to my knowledge ;( as well as SpartanHost, ImpactVPS and others who have affordable Xen/KVM storage offers.

• tommytommy Member

He said EU optional. My current vps with drserver stable for few month.

• @bersy said:

tommy said: Opps, then drserver fit his budget

Yeah, but not in Europe to my knowledge ;( as well as SpartanHost, ImpactVPS and others who have affordable Xen/KVM storage offers.

i might just get that offer from promitheus..200gb storage and unlimited bandwidth for 25euro/year seem..insane, i just dont know how good is Seafile

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

tommy said: optional

optimal

GMaister22 said: 200gb storage and unlimited bandwidth for 25euro/year seem..insane

€21.6 with discount code. You can try it for free (1gb storage if I recall) at seafile.com. It's a viable alternative.

• @bersy said:

tommy said: optional

optimal

GMaister22 said: 200gb storage and unlimited bandwidth for 25euro/year seem..insane

€21.6 with discount code. You can try it for free (1gb storage if I recall) at seafile.com. It's a viable alternative.

sadly its single user only :( i need at least 2 users so promitheus wont work

• bersybersy Member

As for OwnCloud solutions, take a look at TransIP Stack.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

spam snip

• GMaister22 said:
    I am looking for a cheap (15-20$/year) VPS for Owncloud/Nextcloud usage.

Thanks

@WebProject said:
    we can do a special plan:

£5/$7 per month.

I guess we can all do with a refresher in basic algebra. I must have known it but forgot that 12*7 is less than 20!

Thanked by 1bersy
  • +1 for
    Time4vps

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@doughnet said:

+1 for
    Time4vps

second that^^