Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need LOW end DNS box on the east coast w/ IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need LOW end DNS box on the east coast w/ IPv6

DStroutDStrout Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

I'm looking for a second DNS box for my DIY DNS setup. I have one from StormVZ on the west coast (LA), now I need one east coast. I've been using one from IPXCore in Buffalo, but since I'm adding IPv6 to the mix, that won't work anymore - IPv6 is a requirement. Further north is better too. Since it'll just be low-traffic DNS lookups, I don't need much "oomf" - 128MB or less is fine with not much bandwidth. 1 IPv4 address, 5+ IPv6. As to budget, I'm thinking $2/mo or less for such low specs, with quarterly (or more frequent) billing.

To be clear:
Negotiable: Price, most specs
Non-negotiable: Quarterly or more frequent billing, IPv6, location

Other random "would-be-nice"s: Minimal (Apache-less) OS templates, free high-fives.

Comments

• I don't get the point of having east coast and west coast dns servers when not using anycast.

With two servers on opposites coasts, a user on either coast has a 50% chance of querying the server on the opposite coast.

Why not cluster then on the coast where the majority of your traffic is?

• herbyscrubherbyscrub Member
    edited March 2013

I've used nearly every East Coast LEB and at the moment, the only one I would recommend is RamNode. But they're pretty much as far south as you can get lol.

But yeah, I don't see the point in geographically diverse DNS in most setups.

• @sleddog said: Why not cluster then on the coast where the majority of your traffic is?

So that when a tsunami hits the west coast my DNS stays up. Sure, they don't need to be as geographically dispersed as I'm making them, but why not?

• @DStrout said: So that when a tsunami hits the west coast my DNS stays up. Sure, they don't need to be as geographically dispersed as I'm making them, but why not?

Why not get it in another continent then?

• @superpilesos said: Why not get it in another continent then?

Because they should still be on the same continent as me, to save some amount of lookup time.

• @DStrout said: So that when a tsunami hits the west coast my DNS stays up.

Like most people, I would expect my LEB to be up and running during a tsunami in the US.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited March 2013

@DStrout said: Because they should still be on the same continent as me, to save some amount of lookup time.

You should just host both of them outside the US to ensure the FBI or MPAA can't hijack your queries. George W Bush killed Tupac Shakur, think what Obama could do to your DNS servers.

• Thank you for the mention brother!

Feel free to contact us if New Jersey KVM is okay for you. I have one KVM128 package available, they don't come around often:

7GB RAID10 HDD
    128MB Dedicated RAM
    250GB Premium Bandwidth
    1 CPU Core Access
    100Mbit Full-Duplex Uplink

£6.15/quarter

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

We have some nice VPSs for DNS starting at $0.69/month with IPv4 + IPv6. We're in Tampa, FL. along with Denver, CO. and our default OS uses less than 4MB.

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Thank you for the mention brother

You are welcome man :)

• @sleddog said: I don't get the point of having east coast and west coast dns servers when not using anycast.

Physical separation in case of a catastrophic event.

• jbxljbxl Member

@Microlinux said: @sleddog said: I don't get the point of having east coast and west coast dns servers when not using anycast.

Physical separation in case of a catastrophic event.

Depending on the resolver library the resolver may also select the one with the best path and stick with it unless its down.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

256mb ok for you?

• @RobertClarke said: 256mb ok for you?

As long as it meets the other requirements.

• Hmm... looking at BudgetVM, they've got some good stuff. Their lowest end box with coupon "lowendstock" seems to be for me - Miami and Chicago locations.

• @Microlinux said: Physical separation in case of a catastrophic event.

Sure. Different cities I can understand, but opposite sides of the continent is overkill. If a catastrophic event takes out multiple cities on either coast, there's gonna be a whole lot bigger issues than some little dns server offline.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Still have this up:

Cores: 1
    RAM: 256mb
    Storage: 75Gb (RAID 5)
    Bandwidth: 50mbit
    Price: $16 p/year
    Quarterly: $5

Can do it on choopa, ipv4 + native ipv6

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8375/fliphost-community-inspired-offer-storage-ssd-and-more-limited-1tb-for-7

• @KuJoe was waiting for you. Now....FIGHT!

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I'd be happy to offer you our 128MB plans.

• @Nick_A @Fliphost - Both your low-end plans seem to be yearly only? I mean, BudgetVM is too, so I am willing to consider it, but still...

• edited March 2013

@DStrout that is to prevent abuse I believe. I would recommend ramnode as you get 16 ipv6 addresses along with your ipv4 address(es). (And the service is great :P)

Yep, PayPal is already getting enough money out of me :)

• OK, I'm just waiting on a refund for something else, then I will order one of these. If you don't hear from me soon, you'll know it wasn't you :) Don't take it personally.

• @Dstrout

Perhaps try looking at Afterburst? They can probably get you something custom for this.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

@blergh_ said: Afterburst

...Doesn't seem ideal. Prices are a bit higher than I'd like and they don't have anything "in my size", and I don't want to bother haggling over a custom plan.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited March 2013

LFCVPS (Montreal, CA) ($42/yr, Xen)
    Hostigation (Charlotte, NC) ($20/yr, OVZ)
    SecureDragon (Tampa, FL) ($10.99/yr, OVZ)

• RamNode wins! I already have one box with them, and I know the service will be stellar. The price is higher than BudgetVM, but I'm not a fan of them anyway - service isn't half as good.

Thanks!

• @DStrout
    The supermicro for two fiddy?