Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this "really good" pricing for a VPS with dedicated CPUs and RAM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is this "really good" pricing for a VPS with dedicated CPUs and RAM?

aboyousefaboyousef Member
edited July 2016 in General

As the title suggest I want to discuss the pricing of a VPS

with 100% dedicated CPUs and RAM.

I have two Examples I was offered recently, first a VPS with 100% dedicated

Resources with the following specs:

3 Cores (3 logical cores or 1.5 physical core Xeon E-5 v1 or E-3 v3) at 300%

3 GB RAM (100% dedicated)

40GB SSD

100 Mbps dictated & 2TB bandwidth

Free weekly full backup of the VPS

1× IPv4

KVM

And the other one has the following specs:

4 Cores (4 logical cores or 2 physical core Xeon E-5 v1 or E-3 v3) at 400%

12 GB RAM (100% dedicated)

120GB SSD

125 Mbps dictated & 3TB bandwidth

Free weekly full backup of the VPS

1× IPv4

KVM

I was offered the first for 17$/mo and the second was 32$/mo

So what do you think?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Go with netcup.eu and pay 12€ and get way more :)

• aboyousefaboyousef Member
    edited July 2016

@Ympker said:

I know NetCup they are really good and their price are

Close to what I was offered but they accept only bank

Transfer as first payment and they are only in Germany.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@aboyousef said:

@Ympker said:

I know NetCup they are really good and their price are

Close to what I was offered but they accept only bank

Transfer as first payment and they are only in Germany.

I am a customer with them and I only used PayPal. I am from Germany but my first time I ordered while travelin Australia and paypal only.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

Is it dedicated core or dedicated thread?

There is a provider who offers 2 dedicated X5650 Hyper Threads, 2GB, 80GB SSD, 2 IP, 2TB for $13/m with quarterly payment, for example. There is another one offering 2 L5639 HT, 3GB, 20GB SSD, 1TB for $17/m with quarterly payment too. Third one offers unidentified Xeon core/HT, 1280MB, 30GB SSD, unidentified bandwidht for $16/m.

So your options look much more better.

edited July 2016

@Ympker Yes, because you are from Germany and I guess you have a

Confirmed address in Germany. As for me, since I am not from EU

I have to make the first payment through a bank transfer only,

Then I can use PayPal for the next payments!

Also they insist on charging me the VAT even though I am not

EU citizen!

edited July 2016

@bersy said:
    Is it dedicated core or dedicated thread?

There is a provider who offers 2 dedicated X5650 Hyper Threads, 2GB, 80GB SSD, 2 IP, 2TB for $13/m with quarterly payment, for example. There is another one offering 2 L5639 HT, 3GB, 20GB SSD, 1TB for $17/m with quarterly payment too. Third one offers unidentified Xeon core/HT, 1280MB, 30GB SSD, unidentified bandwidht for $16/m.

So your options look much more better.

As I understand its 1.5 physical core (3 threads) in the first and 2 physical

Core (4 threads) in the second plan.

Also what I am offered is monthly bases payments but for quarterly payments

Its 15.5$ for the 3 cores plan and 29.5$ for the 4 cores plan.

And the E-5v1 is much better than X5650 or L5639, So yes like you said what

I'm being offered is better.

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

aboyousef said: As I understand its 1.5 physical core (3 threads) in the first and 2 physical

Core (4 threads) in the second plan.

It's actually 1 physical core in the first and 2 physical cores in the second case.

As for monthly billing circle, first provider has the only plan - 2 physical cores of X5650, 4GB, 160GB SSD, 4 IP, 4TB @ 1Gbps for $26/m. Above mentioned L5639 plan is $21.5 on monthly basis.

• @bersy

I think 3 dedicated threads are not one core...

As for the specs X5650 or L5639 are really old CPUs and compared

To E5 even v1 they are dinosaurs!

I like the 12GB RAM on the second plan, it's really appealing!

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

aboyousef said: I think 3 dedicated threads are not one core...

Why 3? It was about 2.

aboyousef said: To E5 even v1 they are dinosaurs!

I totally agree. It seems their only advantages are Gigabit port and several IPs.

• @bersy
    I am referring to the first plan I was offered (3 cores+ 3GB RAM + 40GB SSD)

Thanked by 1bersy
  • bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

aboyousef said: @bersy I am referring to the first plan I was offered (3 cores+ 3GB RAM + 40GB SSD)

Oh, I've finally realized)

I recall something else. 1240v3, 2xCPU (3-4 customers on server according to their, HVH's words), 8GB, 200GB HDD, 10TB, 5 IP for $25/m. They used to offer it for $16/m on promo. Similar config with 100GB SSD is $29/m.

• WebGuruWebGuru Member
    edited July 2016

Go with Wishosting @exception0x876 their KVM package are good.

1 dedicated core of E3 1245v2 and you can abuse it as much as you want you will never face suspension because it's dedicated so no limit like 300% or 400%.

There are 2 packages one with HDD (5.99/month) and one with SSD (4.99/month)

SSD Package: 2GB Ram, 60GB SSD, Unmetered 250Mbps, DDos Protection (France)

HDD Package: 6GB Ram, 120GB HDD, Unmetered 250Mbps, DDos Protection (France)

You can get a 1 day free trial with the coupon 1DAYTRIAL i have a very good experience with them.

https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=2

• @WebGuru said:

1 dedicated core of E3 1245v2 and you can abuse it as much as you want you will never face suspension because it's dedicated so no limit like 300% or 400%.

You can get a 1 day free trial with the coupon 1DAYTRIAL i have a very good experience with them.

i think @aboyousef is looking for a provider who allow paypal, @exception0x876 only accepts bitcoin

Thanked by 1aboyousef
  • @roshan91 said:>
    i think @aboyousef is looking for a provider who allow paypal, @exception0x876 only accepts bitcoin

I paid them through Skrill they do have alternatives

Thanked by 1bersy
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just make sure to ask for evidence of CPU pinning because at that price I promise you they are not 'dedicated' they are just shared and you can use them at 100% 24x7 with weighting/cgroups/queuing.

If they are truly dedicated, keep backups, they wont stay in business long.

:)

But either way, the 2nd one seems good.

• @Ympker said:

Actually netcup announced the 7th generation. Any now its expensive very well.

• @WebGuru said:

Thanks, I actually checked them and they look solid but it's only one E-3 core

What I've been offered includes 3-4 E-5 cores and a lot of RAM!

(4 logical cores or 2 physical core Xeon E-5 v1 + 12 GB RAM + 120GB SSD= 28.5/mo=> quarterly)

But I'll take your advice and try them for a day

edited July 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    Just make sure to ask for evidence of CPU pinning because at that price I promise you they are not 'dedicated' they are just shared and you can use them at 100% 24x7 with weighting/cgroups/queuing.

If they are truly dedicated, keep backups, they wont stay in business long.

:)

But either way, the 2nd one seems good.

This is exactly my first thought, but they told me that they give each user a "slice"

Of the server, and that they actually pin cores for each user, and give you the real

Numbers of the cores dedicated to you (core 0,1,2,3 for example).

They even allow every user to know how many other users share his node through

The VPS control panel!

Regarding the backup as I understand they have a remote independent storage

servers where they create and keep only one snapshot for every VPS (the newest one).

They will start offering their service officially after 2 weeks and they will offer

Some costumers a non-conditioned 24 hours trail.

But I will get one BIG VPS from them today for 48 hours to try and I will test it, benchmark

It until I know everything about it!

The price does not fit sorry, why would they bother with all that hassle for $128 total revenue for the E3 and about similar lines vs purchase cost for the E5.

I could pin the same 4 cores to 10 users, all 10 users could hit 100% use within their OS, the queuing is done by the hypervisor and you would never know.

Not saying they are, but I don't believe they only put 4 people on an E3, and if they do I want to know how the E3 is running with 48GB Ram :)

Anyway don't get me wrong, you seem like you know the reality is that it is a little over sold, and truthfully you will probably never notice, the price is good.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    The price does not fit sorry, why would they bother with all that hassle for $128 total revenue for the E3 and about similar lines vs purchase cost for the E5.

I could pin the same 4 cores to 10 users, all 10 users could hit 100% use within their OS, the queuing is done by the hypervisor and you would never know.

Not saying they are, but I don't believe they only put 4 people on an E3, and if they do I want to know how the E3 is running with 48GB Ram :)

Anyway don't get me wrong, you seem like you know the reality is that it is a little over sold, and truthfully you will probably never notice, the price is good.

Your logic is 100% correct, no questions here.

But here what I got from them asking that question regarding the E-3 and I quote:

"The E-3 servers will be sliced into 1core 1GB RAM VPSs not 3 or 4 cores, the bigger plans

Will run on E-5 nodes only, but we use the term 'physical core Xeon E-5 v1 or E-3 v3'

On all of our packages temporarily just to let you know exactly what type of nodes we use.

Be assured that every plan on our site will be very clear and detailed.

Also we will give the customers a chance to try the VPS for free before purchasing"

As for pining the cores, I have my own dedis and I will compare the performance of

The VPS i get from them as a trial with the real performance of physical E5 core

What I think that they have a small number of employees and a lot of non-expensive

Hardware, and despite the fact that they have servers in US and Europe I think

The company Itself is not located in US nor EU. This could be another factor

That could help them offer such prices.

Anyway I will get my VPS soon and I will update you with all the results and numbers

I will get...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

So they are only selling 8gb ram on the e3?

It sounds more and more like what @anthonysmith said, they let you rip all you want and let the host node handle any sort of balancing and weights.

Francisco

edited July 2016

@Francisco said:
    So they are only selling 8gb ram on the e3?

It sounds more and more like what @anthonysmith said, they let you rip all you want and let the host node handle any sort of balancing and weights.

Francisco

Not necessary! they can have 1Core and 2GB or even 3GB

As for the price I had a dedicated E-3v2 for 39$ only and

I was just an end user! They can have it for even less, so if

They sell 8 × 11$ VPSs they will make 50$+ on every server

Neither you nor I can tell for sure since we do not know what

Is the size of their hardware, how many servers do they have

And how much are they paying for colocation, bandwidth, etc..

And more importantly what is the size of there staff and where

Are they located.

I am testing and benchmarking their BIG VPS now ...

As I said I will compare the results to my dedicated server

• Here are the results from my first round of tests:

----------------------------------------

The single core performance is exactly what I get on my Dedi E-5

The I/O is typical simple SSD nothing super here but still much better than HDD

The network is good, I got my test VPS in USA.

Still working on more tests...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

What's the provider?

Yep, like I said you probably will never tell the difference because if there are only a few people on the server the chances of everyone using all the cores at 100 percent at exactly the same nanoseconds is unlikely even if it is a bit oversold.