Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS with BGP session (for a route collector)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS with BGP session (for a route collector)

r0t3nr0t3n Member
edited July 2016 in General

Hi,

Spec wise, I'm looking for 1cpu, 256-512mb ram, 5gb disk, 100GB bandwidth. No IP space will be announced, so require private ASN. I could possibly accept IPv6 NAT vps's, as long as you can still provide an IPv4 BGP session (either via public or private network). No traffic will route through the BGP session.

I'm looking for providers who run their own multihomed network and can provide a full BGP table for a route-collector, with BGP add-path support. Please, no providers who only peer with their datacenter/providers ASN.

Location wise, I need multiple locations throughout Europe, America ,Asia and Australia etc.

Budget $2-5/m. Please, no yearly plans, as this is for an experimental project.

Also, please don't mention routeviews, whilst they have the information I require, my application needs to parse real time BGP data, and I need more locations.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Slightly out of the budget, but have a look at our offer in London:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/78023/clouvider-special-uk-london-cloud-vps-from-4-50-and-dedicated-servers-from-just-29-99/p1

We have LINX Juniper, LINX Extreme, Level3, GTT and NTT on board. IPv4 and IPv6 feed can both be supplied if no space needs to be announced.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@clouvider will be ordering from you very soon, I really need to find more providers for other locations beforehand.

Any other providers who can offer this? Ideally looking for people who can provide BGP feeds who are peering with IX's (AMS-IX, DE-CIX, SGIX, HKIX, SFMIX and other major american IX's) whom can also provide a VPS within the residing country.

• @r0t3n said:
    @clouvider will be ordering from you very soon, I really need to find more providers for other locations beforehand.

Any other providers who can offer this? Ideally looking for people who can provide BGP feeds who are peering with IX's (AMS-IX, DE-CIX, SGIX, HKIX, SFMIX and other major american IX's) whom can also provide a VPS within the residing country.

may I ask why do you need to collect bgp routes for?
    please tell me you're not going to try to spam us as I have gotten a lot of spam in my company email and it is usually something gibberish that the subject & message & domain comes from usually a .br domain

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

We could provide KVM Rootservers with BGP Sessions, starting at 4,50€ per month. BGP only for a one time setup fee of 15€ (if you want to use it only as collector).

Routes including KleyReX Frankfurt (RS1 + a few other peers), Core-Backbone (AS33891) and Interwerk (AS197071).

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@timnboys may I ask how you've come to the conclusion that I'm going to spam you because I want live BGP data?

Why would I even bother to go to the complexity of running multiple BGP route collectors in multiple locations to analyse the full routing table in real time to just spam you, when I could simply port scan IP ranges for open mail servers or even just use routeviews BGP dumps?

The fact I'm not going to announce any IP space let alone route any traffic through the BGP session... how the heck did you come to the conclusion that I'm just going to spam?

If you are a provider who can provide me a VPS with a BGP feed, please send me your offer.

• @r0t3n said:
    @timnboys may I ask how you've come to the conclusion that I'm going to spam you because I want live BGP data?

Why would I even bother to go to the complexity of running multiple BGP route collectors in multiple locations to analyse the full routing table in real time to just spam you, when I could simply port scan IP ranges for open mail servers or even just use routeviews BGP dumps?

The fact I'm not going to announce any IP space let alone route any traffic through the BGP session... how the heck did you come to the conclusion that I'm just going to spam?

If you are a provider who can provide me a VPS with a BGP feed, please send me your offer.

I don't know it is just suspicious why you need real time BGP data
    you know it would help to be more specific on the reasoning why you need this as I as a provider could offer you something better if you are more specific on why you need this and what exactly you need(as I need to have this on record for auditing purposes incase a security audit/etc happens)

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@Kabeldamagement thanks for the offer, I will look to purchase from you soon.

@timnboys The main purpose of the route collectors is to feed raw BGP data into my application which will then analyse the incoming routes and the different diverse paths as well as other statistics. In the future, this data will be made available to experimental applications so then decisions can be made based on realtime BGP data. Sadly I can not say much more than that, as these experimental applications have not been made yet nor do I know what they will b. This is just the early stages, if I get the base right I can see what I can build on top.

• haha, 2-5$, no, that's not going to happen at 99% of ISPs.

Unrealistic to impossible, you are being limited to less than 5 ISPs total this way (Vultr, essentially).

Further, at this price you cannot run a service on top of it, how can you expect quality (both server and bgp wise) for 2$? You can't.

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@William this is for an experimental project, if it was to ever move into something more production wise my budget will be a lot bigger. I can up my budget accordingly if someone has a good offer like @clouvider 's offer, as well as pay a reasonable set up fee for the BGP session.

Considering there are hosts selling GB's of resources for $7/m, I believe 2-5$/m is reasonable for half a gig of ram, or not?

I have actually looked into vultr and they can not provide what I need (mainly add-path support).

• r0t3nr0t3n Member

@Jack that's understandable, and I would be willing to pay a reasonable set up fee for the BGP session. Perhaps I should of put that up top as well but I can not edit it anymore.

• r0t3n said: Considering there are hosts selling GB's of resources for $7/m, I believe 2-5$/m is reasonable for half a gig of ram, or not?

Yea, but this does not include BGP which is either work to run a software solution, cost for separation or consumes very real resources on your core/access.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@William said:

r0t3n said: Considering there are hosts selling GB's of resources for $7/m, I believe 2-5$/m is reasonable for half a gig of ram, or not?

Yea, but this does not include BGP which is either work to run a software solution, cost for separation or consumes very real resources on your core/access.

Uhm. Especially that route-reflector type sessions seems to be required by the OP, which means, yeah, it does require even more resources multiplied by the N number of upstreams/peerings your mix consists of.