Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bandwidth?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bandwidth?

bcacbbcacb Member
edited July 2016 in General

Does anyone think these speeds are acceptable from a dedicated server provider or is it just them? 100Mbps port.

They (the provider) seem to think this is normal. ("That looks normal").

$140 - Core i7 4790 (8 CPUs), 32GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB SATA HDD, 1TB SATA HDD, Debian Stable, 7000 Gigs Bandwidth (100Mbps Port)

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Your public IPv4 is 67.xxx.xxx.xxx

Location Provider Speed
CDN Cachefly 8.91MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 2.33MB/s

Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 8.87MB/s

Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 746KB/s

San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 881KB/s

Washington, DC, US Softlayer 949KB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 373KB/s

Thanked by 1mkamolins

Comments

• dailydaily Member

Not really a great question, we're missing a lot of stuff here.

How much are you paying? What do they advertise?

My car only goes at max 90 miles per hour, does that seem right?

• bcacbbcacb Member

i've updated the post.

• Not the best, but you should test more locations.

What provider and on what network?

Thanked by 1bcacb
  • bcacbbcacb Member

I don't really want to name the provider as I'm not out to make anyone look bad. Just trying to get them to see that something is wrong, especially since my cable modem gets better, more consistent speeds than the server. They are located at colo4 in Dallas and have been around a while. I tried other locations with the speedtest-cli and the results are similar to above with most locations pulling only 10-15 Mbps.

• bcacbbcacb Member

Well, they just updated me saying "It does seem to be a switch-wide issue.". So things are looking up.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Have you already tried downloading some test files or Linux ISOs from high speed download mirrors?
    Usually gives you better results than the test you've done so far.

If you are unable to touch 100Mbps (11,2MB/s) no matter what download mirror you're using, you're probably having a server hosted on a oversold network, or you're connected to an uplink that is shared with many others. All depends on on the provider you're using and the price you're paying :-)

Thanked by 1bcacb
  • lionlion Member
    edited July 2016

@LiteServer said:
    If you are unable to touch 100Mbps (11,2MB/s)

Am i missing something or shouldn't 100Mbit equal 12,5MB/s

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

bcacb said: Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 2.33MB/s

Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 8.87MB/s

Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 746KB/s

San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 881KB/s

Washington, DC, US Softlayer 949KB/s

If your download is this bad, I have to wonder what does upload look like on that server. (Typically upload is much more busy in DCs). In other words, yes, a shitty oversold network and you're way overpaying for this. Also just 7TB on 100 Mbit would be terrible for $140 even if it was fast. Probably they just have very low external bandwidth capacity, so they have to limit the plans this low -- but that still doesn't help.

Thanked by 1bcacb
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@lion said:

@LiteServer said:
    If you are unable to touch 100Mbps (11,2MB/s)

Am i missing something or shouldn't 100Mbit equal 12,5MB/s

Well, yes theoretically you can push 12,5MB/s on a 100Mbps line.
    However, a 100Mbps full-duplex port has overhead. Due the overhead you won't really exceed 11,2MB/s in real-life conditions :-).
    You will only be able to do 12,5MB/s if you server has a 1Gbps uplink, that capped on 100Mbps - this way there won't be no port overhead lowering your throughput.

• bcacbbcacb Member

Thanks for the responses. I would have just liked to see 50 Mbps or higher consistently, but being in the KB range is out the question. I'm moving on from this company as it's not worth the stress.

• lionlion Member

@LiteServer said:

Thanks for the explanation, guess that's why my Kimsufi never goes over 11,4MB/s.

• trvztrvz Member

Those speeds are terrible, your provider is being cheap on their network. You should switch away as soon as possible.

Thanked by 1bcacb