Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nameservers question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nameservers question

WHTWHT Member

Hello.

What will be if:

I host a website on 3 servers. I upload the same files and db on all 3 providers.

I create with the servers one shared IP the NS1. With servers 2 the NS2 and three NS3.

I add all 3 nameservers to my domain.

Now the question:

From which host will read the website first?

If server 1 goes down, reads from server 2?

Thank you!

Comments

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

I assume you mean you have set multiple "A records"? If you have multiple A records configured for the same hostname, DNS will randomly pick one A record. Basically 'Round Robin Load balancing'.
    DNS don't know when one of these hosts go down, so it might be possible that a visitor is being redirected to a server that is not available at that time.
    In order to achieve 'redundancy' like failover, you'll need something more intelligent like a load balancer.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • WHTWHT Member

No, I want to add only nameservers without to touch the A record.

• Oh boy... Better listen what some here tell you because you don't even know what you want yourself OP.

• WHTWHT Member

@Cartman said:
    Oh boy... Better listen what some here tell you because you don't even know what you want yourself OP.

Am just asking. When I host a domain I never change A record to domain. I just add nameservers.

So now the question is, if I add 3 nameservers from 3 providers what will happend.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited July 2016

if the server is down, visitors will not be directed there as nameservers will not be working, probably directed to the next quickest to resolve nameserver. A record need follow suit to reflect site location.
    if there's no alternative A record, visitors will not be redirected, remain at defined A record IP .

EDIT there should be 3 different A records, linked to each nameserver but that need not be updated with your domain registrar

• ShamliShamli Member

If the A record(say X ip) are the same across all three NS,then if one NS down,the other NS should be able to point to the X ip...but this will defeat the purpose you that you setup website n db on all other server....
    And if X ip is the same server as the NS that is down,than there is no purpose the other NS still point to X ip,as it is down.....

Unless you set at each NS the other two(or all three) server ip as round robin,as mention above,than that would be better reason as having two(or more) server with same website and db....