Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Promoting your hosting business - a short guide, no plugs.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Promoting your hosting business - a short guide, no plugs.

Hi there,

I've just published this short guide about getting more attention for your hosting business using buffer, tweetdeck and reddit - check it out: https://www.virtkick.com/blog/promoting-hosting-business-tweetdeck-buffer-reddit.html.

Many of Virtkick customers have asked me for tips before, so I decided to compile it and share, so hopefully someone can find this useful :) No shameless plugs!

Thanked by 1Tom

Comments

• tommytommy Member

F

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

wozmir said: No shameless plugs!

yet, links to virtkick website

• wozmirwozmir Member

@Awmusic12635 you got me! ;)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Wat, Pricing 19$, 1 Free Hypervisor, but I Pay for it right?

• wozmirwozmir Member

@Neoon, in the base plan, you can connect 1HV, each another is +$15/mo.

• WHTWHT Member
    edited July 2016

edit.

Debian or Kimsufi.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

@WHT said:
    Virtkick are scammers. They scammed their investors. Everyone gived them money for a free and opensource panel and the assholes started to charge money.

Didn't they use Kickstarter though so the project wasent paid out since it didn't reach its goal? Or did they run it as a donation instead?

Francisco

Thanked by 1WHT
  • wozmirwozmir Member

@WHT what you're saying is untrue. Virtkick received no coding contributions and little (a few thousand dollars) financing which we're returning to the backers. Despite that, we've managed to build a successful panel and will still develop it in the future.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • WHTWHT Member

@wozmir said:
    @WHT what you're saying is untrue. Virtkick received no coding contributions and little (a few thousand dollars) financing which we're returning to the backers. Despite that, we've managed to build a successful panel and will still develop it in the future.

Upss. My bad. I have mixed them. Sorry.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member

I know a sure shot better way to promote any hosting business -- POST ON LET

• @wozmir said:

Create a self-hosted version, and you will get more clients. 98% of may-be-clients wouldn't trust all their client's info to a 3rd party like you and wouldn't want to have no control.

Thanked by 1ExonHost
  • AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited July 2016

I'd like to request that the title be changed to:

'Promoting my hosting panel - a short guide on hosting businesses.'

Optionally add ', butt plugs.' to the end for extra laughs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ez2uk said: I know a sure shot better way to promote any hosting business -- POST ON LET

...then sit back and enjoy as the cash rolls in.

Thanked by 3AlyssaD kkrajk netomx
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 double post :p

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @Clouvider said:
    @raindog308 double post :p

It must be doubly true!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

virtkick originally was open source project and at some point picked up over $15k of donation (like some one mentioned a few thousand dollars), after a couple months has been converted into paid control panel with hosting service attached to it, as they trying to attract customers to resell their services.

• tommytommy Member

I'm really interesting to see VPS offer from them, I bet the wont get many customer :)

• wozmirwozmir Member

@WebProject almost, we've actually received $4k of donations. Our main business is the VPS control panel, while the hosting service is a side one, not our main focus, but using the same Virtkick control panel we're developing.

@tommy - here you go: https://pacmanvps.com/pricing.html :)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

So much hate for virtkick, why?

Been using them for a while now and updates are frequently rolled out to fix issues and add features. Its saas so you dont need to bother with keeping it updated your self, which is a good thing as they update all the time.

So far, their pricing has been more than acceptable and makes this perfect for the first time hosts or small businesses.

Feel free to ama about the panel.

Thanked by 2wozmir Zen
  • wozmirwozmir Member
    edited July 2016

@Zen just a quick info here before pbgben replies, we've recently rolled out an option to use your own payment gateways - you just need Stripe and Braintree to be operational in your country.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @pbgben said:

Mostly, people are butt-hurt because it's not open source or cheap as shit.

• @Microlinux said:

@pbgben said:

Mostly, people are butt-hurt because it's not open source or cheap as shit.

Nope, people are butt-hurt because it is not self hosted.

Thanked by 1GalaxyHostPlus
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2016

@taro222 said:
    Nope, people are butt-hurt because it is not self hosted.

That's an ancillary butt-hurt. Were it free or dirt cheap, you'd see a fraction of the "I deserve it crowd" complaining about that.

• Zen said: How do you swallow allowing a third party to access a critical part of your business, including all client information AND data, even server/VM data - especially when they're a competing business?

Anyone who is using Virtkick currently is just ignoring their customer's privacy completely.

Using an SaaS solution to store your customer data that might be gone from one day to another? Not a very clever idea.

Using an SaaS solution to store your customers data that might be gone from one day to another AND is also providing VPS services like you? Probably the most dumb idea ever. You just give them all information (including full customer info) to push their own hosting business AND even pay to use their panel let them use your data ^^

• @OnSebastian said:

Zen said: How do you swallow allowing a third party to access a critical part of your business, including all client information AND data, even server/VM data - especially when they're a competing business?

Anyone who is using Virtkick currently is just ignoring their customer's privacy completely.

Using an SaaS solution to store your customer data that might be gone from one day to another? Not a very clever idea.

Using an SaaS solution to store your customers data that might be gone from one day to another AND is also providing VPS services like you? Probably the most dumb idea ever. You just give them all information (including full customer info) to push their own hosting business AND even pay to use their panel let them use your data ^^

If you ask them there is no-problem to export customers data (asked Mirek), but maybe that would be nice to don't have to ask and just have a shiny export button. :)

"You will stay because you can leave it" - Something I read from Nitot's blog

• @pbgben said:

They started crowdfunding for an open source control panel, took the money and then decided to release something different?

Thanked by 1GalaxyHostPlus
  • taro222taro222 Member
    edited July 2016

@hostnoob said:

They started crowdfunding for an open source control panel, took the money and then decided to release something different?

They didn't keep the money. They refunded everyone that donated, and decided to make the panel a SaaS. You can't blame them for that, an open source panel wouldn't put food on their table.

Also, the issue is not exporting customer data, the issue is that they have all the data themselves as well.

• wozmirwozmir Member

Just a heads-up - we're working on getting a really simple way of exporting your customers from the panel.

Thanked by 1Technowix