Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need help in guiding me to detect source of syn flood fom my digitalocean droplet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I need help in guiding me to detect source of syn flood fom my digitalocean droplet

maelzxmaelzx Member

Hi All,

1. what happen before the syn-flood
  • i create a droplet (usd5/month) on singapore location
  • select ubuntu 14.04 image
  • install and complete everything
  • install Sentora (latest version as I do the install following their guide, download the install script)
  • install sentastico for sentora (latest version, also follow their guide)
  • add Mautic (download zip file and upload zip file to server in sentastico package)
  • install mautic via sentastico
  • let user test the mautic installation
  • server ip address & domain was not revealed to other 3rd party, but i think it is exposed to the sentora & sentastico during the installation
  1. digital ocean email to me that my droplet was doing a ddos attack thus they took it down.

2. i request for more information and they give this

Thank you for connecting with us.

Hello there,

The traffic we noticed was a 12.1m PPS SYN flood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syn_flood) being launched from your Droplet against a remote server at XY.XY4.6A.5A- not any form of legitimate traffic. This could not have been from a remote system, as there was no inbound traffic (from your client) during this incident.

The source port varied. 3 examples of port details are as follows:

Source Port: 45801 (45801)
Destination Port: http (80)

Source Port: 20395 (20395)

Source Port: 42040 (42040)

The system and application error and access logs may include additional details that could provide more insight on this.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-view-and-configure-linux-logs-on-ubuntu-and-centos

If you have any additional questions please let us know.

Best,

Trust & Safety
DigitalOcean

i dont want to reveal the ip that it does the attach here, but if you want I can privately tell u, i think it doesnt matter, i try to trace the ip, it is listed as corporate internet.

so, if possible i want to find out what really happen, but i'm at loss here on where to start, the droplet is still there.

Comments

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited July 2016

you may have hidden file, start from /tmp /var/tmp /dev/shm directory

Then install rkhunter

What service are you running on the droplet?

• maelzxmaelzx Member

hey there thanks for reply.

ok i will start from the dir that you listed there.

the service that run was installed by sentora which is apache, mysql, phpmyadmin etc... i think maybe mail server too, i saw something like postfix, dovecot etc.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

My guess is there is an exploit with Sentora, and you were unlucky to be hit so quickly.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/47220/sentora-alternative-to-zpanel-warning/

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Zpanel, again... sigh

• maelzxmaelzx Member

thanks for the link, I'm guessing I will advise my client accordingly (it was for a part time job that I'm doing now).

• kkrajkkkrajk Member

Unrelated ----- remove it.. and install kloxo-mr.. much better

• edanedan Member
    edited July 2016

I don't think Sentora is your problems but perhaps the moutic;

Mautic is marketing automation software (email, social & more).

You can try to use different panel eg. VestaCP and run those software as well.

Note: I run sentora on many server and never find any problems (traffic for one website, just calculate how much visitors per day if the online user by Google analytics is minimum 2k for 24 hours, can reach 8k during peak hours), ah yes its Apache.

• elgselgs Member

Is your root password too simple?

• maelzxmaelzx Member

@edan yes perhaps mautic, but then mautic was newly installed for demo of able install purpose only, no cron or other settings has been setup for it yet. but i dont rule out mautic is the issues.

@elgs not too simple, but not too hard either. some combination of lowercase + 1 special char + 1 number.

• hyndshynds Member

I think kloxo or vestacp is ok, however if possible you should use script such as vssim.

• jtkjtk Member

@maelzx said:

• let user test the mautic installation

Hmm... do you trust that user? Even if so, could they have triggered something?

Maybe there is some default vulnerability that a remote attacker exploited earlier, or if you installed something that had some latent DDoS bot, it wouldn't necessarily care what your address is. Perhaps setup an iptables rule to drop all outbound TCP SYN traffic, monitor and see if you can discover what process is generating that traffic. Something like lsof may be of some help here.

What happened when you examined the logs as DigitalOcean suggested?

• @maelzx said:
    the service that run was installed by sentora which is apache, mysql, phpmyadmin etc... i think maybe mail server too, i saw something like postfix, dovecot etc.

Hmmm...

Hmmm...

the service that run was installed by sentora which is apache, mysql, PHPmyadmin etc... i think maybe mail server too, i saw something like postfix, dovecot etc.

Hmmm...

Beyond that, hire someone who knows what they're doing to admin your server.

• edanedan Member

So you concluded if this syn flood because the use of phpmyadmin and php? does any other programming language can't send syn flood? GREAT! finding.

• edited July 2016

@edan said:

So you concluded if this syn flood because the use of phpmyadmin and php? does any other programming language can't send syn flood? GREAT! finding.

Effects have causes. Servers aren't made to just randomly start up a DoS attack. Either some installed package was actually malware, or the server was compromised some time before the attack started. Based on my own server logs, 90+% of the abusive web traffic I see is scans for PHP exploits. The fact that other software might be exploited is worth investigation, of course, but all I'm saying is that I'd start my search by taking a close look at any and all PHP code that is being used.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@hynds said:
    I think kloxo or vestacp is ok, however if possible you should use script such as vssim.

vpssim actually

• edanedan Member

impossiblystupid said: Effects have causes. Servers aren't made to just randomly start up a DoS attack. Either some installed package was actually malware, or the server was compromised some time before the attack started. Based on my own server logs, 90+% of the abusive web traffic I see is scans for PHP exploits. The fact that other software might be exploited is worth investigation, of course, but all I'm saying is that I'd start my search by taking a close look at any and all PHP code that is being used.

Yes I know your point :)

• Did you use a weak root password?

• The title needs to be more descriptive.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

Don't use sentastico with sentora. Sentora's team is trying to fill the holes of zpanel, incidents of hacked sentora are much less than in the past, but addons of sentora are really full of holes! Especially santastico (search the web!).
    On the other hand, there are some much more secured panels like virtualmin and ispconfig out there, or simple scripts to install LAMP and then any script you want. Vestacp is also very good and, nowdays, mature.
    Really, I could never understand why someone having access to a shell, would use script installers like fantastico or similar... Or, use a turnkey template... It is much more secure and not hard to install those scripts by hand.

• edanedan Member

jvnadr said: Don't use sentastico with sentora. Sentora's team is trying to fill the holes of zpanel, incidents of hacked sentora are much less than in the past, but addons of sentora are really full of holes! Especially santastico (search the web!).

The only add-on I use is ELFilemanager http://forums.sentora.org/showthread.php?tid=2076&pid=17193#pid17193 and its run nicely so far.

Upgrade the PHP, MYSQL to latest version (PHP 5.6) and replace their suhosin package with the default one because it has more strict rules (remove the suhosin.ini shipped with sentora at /etc/php.d/ since its duplicated if we install the php-suhosin manually yum install php-suhosin). Use it for email server as well and no single spam send (all IP clean over years and OVH never send any notification, OVH email protection is pretty strict).

Zpanel/Sentora is very different compared to 2-3 years ago.

• maelzxmaelzx Member

@jtk not fully trust, however he only have access to sentora, i did not give him ssh access, yes to start with iptable blocking all tcp syn is a start I guess, but i will take down the droplet anyway. it is just for temporary test.

@impossiblystupid the client will have someone capable to handle the server, this is just one time test and unfortunately (or fortunately it happen sooner than later) we had this issues on first try. and this was setup by myself (yes, not a server admin, i'm just following all the guide to make it run and show to client that is all)

@linuxthefish yes, not a strong one. i did not rule it out that someone have access to ssh and manage to login to the root user, if this is what happen, can show me how to trace this ?

@globalRegisters title is what i intend to ask when i started this thread, if it need to change please suggest to me what should it be.

@jvnadr i've advise the client, but most likely he will stick to sentora since it is already being use (and he had his guy to handle all the securities i guess, not my concern).

@edan hey thanks for the tips, i need to read & try first on this php-suhosin. not for my client, maybe for myself.

again guys, very thankful for all your response, i will keep the droplet for few more days for me to check all the logs, but really is from what I see, its nothing that I saw suggest that there have been breach, but then maybe I don't know how to detect hacking.

the droplet is already blocked from network by digitalocean, i can only access from web console. so i guess should be safe to keep it running few more days while trying to find what actually happen.

• @jvnadr said:
    Really, I could never understand why someone having access to a shell, would use script installers like fantastico or similar... Or, use a turnkey template... It is much more secure and not hard to install those scripts by hand.

I've installed Wordpress about 6-12 times. Definitely not an expert, but what a PIA. There is always some bullshit PHP module it needs, or whatever. Maybe they've corrected it, but I totally get people using script based installers when the alleged geniuses behind a beloved product like Wordpress are too brilliant to post all the php modules and other system dependencies needed to finish their "famous" "one-click-install"

• edanedan Member
    edited July 2016

maelzx said: @edan hey thanks for the tips, i need to read & try first on this php-suhosin. not for my client, maybe for myself.

You can use remi repo. Enable the remi repo and choose PHP 5.6 (just change enabled=0 to enabled=1)

rpm -ivh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-7.rpm

# Edit Remi repo
    vi /etc/yum.repos.d/remi.repo

# Enable Remi repo
    [remi]
    name=Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - $basearch
    #baseurl=http://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/7/remi/$basearch/
    mirrorlist=http://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/7/remi/mirror
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi

# PHP 5.6
    [remi-php56]
    name=Remi's PHP 5.6 RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 7 - $basearch
    #baseurl=http://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/7/php56/$basearch/
    mirrorlist=http://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/7/php56/mirror
    # NOTICE: common dependencies are in "remi-safe"
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-remi

Run the update now:

yum update

Upgrade the MYSQL:

mysql_upgrade -u root -p

Install the default PHP-suhosin etc. (Remember to remove the old suhosin.ini at /etc/php.d)

yum install php-suhosin fail2ban
    chkconfig fail2ban on
    reboot

Above is just basic step.

• Check if there are any processes running in top with strange names.