Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedibox XC SATA 2016
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedibox XC SATA 2016

Hi folks,

I'm interested in a Dedibox XC 2016 of online.net.

As the SSD version is a "victim of its success", I'd have to go for the SATA machine.

Are there any experiences in terms of I/O speed of the SATA disk?

All I found in the internet is a pretty disappointing rate of 30 MB/s which was hopefully an issue. ( https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/4p2o5t/going_to_buy_dedibox_xc_from_onlinenet_any )

What can you say about PARIS as server location vs. AMSTERDAM? (Amsterdam is not available). Isn't Amsterdam the latest data center of online.net? N.B. I live in Germany.

Thanks for all your comments.

Alf

Comments

• tommytommy Member

DONT CRY!

Why you disappointed by 30 MB/s disk I/O ? What are you gonna hosted on your server?

• AmitzAmitz Member

Please keep this in mind for your decision:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1688631/

• their XC and SC sata 2016 line will bottleneck 1gbps guaranted bandwidth.

not recommended.

• Wait a few days and it will restock. HDD's will fail very soon as it is a laptop drive, while SSD will last for years.

• I has been canceled my XC SSD 2016, you will get soon at end of month :)

• @ Amitz Wow, thanks for this link. But we can hope that they fixed that BIOS issue by now.

At the moment I run a vServer and I/O speed is around 500 MB/s. That's what I would expect on a dedicated server, too, as I do a lot of file copying.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2016

@alfinderau: The issue is not fixed yet, as far as I know... 500 MB/s is something that you can only expect on a dedicated server with several disks in e.g. RAID-10.

• That does not create confidence in the company if the dont't even solve their own issues...

• AmitzAmitz Member

@alfinderau said:
    That does not create confidence in the company if the dont't even solve their own issues...

Indeed.

• xyzxyz Member

No single HDD does anywhere near 500MB/s, so forget about ever achieving that. Normal speed for disks in the SC/XC line is around 100MB/s.

The BIOS bug seems to be random as some people are reporting normal speeds, but others get horribly slow speeds. The bug shouldn't affect the XC 2015 line, so if that's fine for you, you can expect ~100MB/s from the disk there (or try your luck with the 2016 line).

Unfortunately, Online.net won't refund you after you've installed an OS, and there's no way to test the disk before installing an OS. Or you could try your luck with asking support, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As much as I love Online.net for their price/performance, I'd never put anything critical there.

• xieyangwanmuxieyangwanmu Member
    edited July 2016

I canceled my SC2016 SATA yesterday.

In my opinion,its netwokr pales beside my Server Dedibox Limited Edition 08161 by used PT.

• Thanks for your posts. Looks like I must lower my expectations concerning I/O speed.
    But anyway, I better wait for one with SSD instead of SATA...

• It's back in stock.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Spacedust said:
    It's back in stock.

You sleep close to their website, don't you? ;-)

• I don't interested anymore with their dedibox with sata2 :(

• @Amitz said:

@Spacedust said:
    It's back in stock.

You sleep close to their website, don't you? ;-)

I'm looking https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited very often ;)

• @Spacedust said:

Use php checker :)

• @hawkjohn7 said:

@Spacedust said:

Use php checker :)

I also use it ;)

• AmitzAmitz Member

Now that's obsessive... ;-)

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha
  • @Amitz said:

I'm looking https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

• @Amitz said:

Yeah Amitz, I think that @Spacedust is married with Online.net.